Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Thread: Joey Votto Presser on Pressure: First reports

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    664

    Re: Joey Votto Presser: First reports

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    you guys didnt even understand what I was saying in that thread. I was saying I can completely understand why he could be viewed that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    "That is what im trying to say, if it was related to the inner ear they would have saved Votto a bunch of trouble by saying it was inner ear. Instead they said it was stress and now it makes him look bad. Either its because of stress and he deserves to look bad, or they just made a huge mistake. "

    "The idea of someone playing baseball and bailing for "stress related issues" could really tick some fans off."

    "In this case the fans were just left in the dark and yes I find it pretty easy that people think his excuse for not playing is a joke and I completely understand if people want to trade him. "

    "If you didnt expect people to say suck it up and stop being a sissy I dont know what to say. "
    Yeah man, you made it perfectly clear what you meant.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Joey Votto Presser: First reports

    Like I said you didnt even understand what I was saying. I was taking the side of the people calling it.

    Sorry if you didnt understand it.

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    664

    Re: Joey Votto Presser: First reports

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Like I said you didnt even understand what I was saying. I was taking the side of the people calling it.

    Sorry if you didnt understand it.
    Backtrack all you want, you said yourself he deserves to look bad because its of "stress." Guess he deserves the small few making him look bad, because he was having anxiety attacks and depression over his fathers death?

    Your choice of wording was obviously conveying your own feelings. "Bailing", "sissy," "a joke"? You obviously didn't like the reason, and now you're backtracking because it was everything that practically everyone else here pointed out. You could have easily said, "I get some fans frustration over the uncertainty of why he left." Instead, you basically made a veiled attack on him as a sissy and a joke. You can say I didn't "understand" but at the time you posted that stuff you obviously felt the same way from what you said and the words you used.

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Joey Votto Presser: First reports

    Thats fine dont believe me.

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Joey Votto Presser: First reports

    Its not like the stuff you quoted didnt support exactly what im saying anyways.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    664

    Re: Joey Votto Presser: First reports

    Whatever you say dude. Maybe some of the others who were in the thread (i.e. practically all Reds fans) could explain it to you. You said he deserves to look bad, I didn't make that up, you said that. What exactly does that mean? So backtrack all you want, we all know what you meant.

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Joey Votto Presser: First reports

    It actually wasnt stress, but then again its all you have to cling to so just keep reading what you quoted and only read the bold parts.

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    664

    Re: Joey Votto Presser: First reports

    LOL okay dude. Everyone knew "stress" was a PR reason, and a ton of people including myself explained the severity of anxiety and depression and the fact his father's death last year affected him a great deal. But yet, you ignored all those responses and refused to believe it, as if he took time off because the guy couldn't get past the last level in Super Mario Bros 3 or something. Then went into a rant about how you could never do that at your job and how he doesn't deserve to get paid.

    I give you credit, you left yourself an out by saying "I can easily see how people think he's a sissy, balied out on his team, and want him traded." Saying "I can easily see" pretty much is saying you sympathize with those people.

    I mean how would it look if I used that in another context, what would you think? "I can easily see why serial killers think that way and why they would do it!" "I can easily see how people commit hate crimes against blacks!

    Doesn't exactly sound right does it? Basically, I think you weren't patient and made judgment before the actual reason came out, and instead of being lenient and waiting and seeing, you made clear what you thought of him leaving. And now once it came out that it was a pretty good reason - which most everyone thought in the first place - you have to backtrack on how harsh you were on the guy. Why can't you just admit you made a mistake and shouldn't have judged him based on what the listed DL reason was?

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Joey Votto Presser: First reports

    I didnt refuse to believe it. If you read what I was saying as a defense of why some fans could be reacting the way they were about it I think its pretty easy to see exactly what I was doing.

    Just look at it that way and I think it will help you understand what POV I was trying to take with my post.

  11. #25
    Schnickelfritz BurgervilleBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wyldur
    Posts
    720

    Re: Joey Votto Presser: First reports

    Speaking personally, I can empathize with Votto. My mother died in Feb 2007 and I'm still having problems dealing with it. It's not to the extent of Votto's depression but I've definitely have had days where I just can't get out of my own way. My work ethic dropped completely to the point where I just didn't care and as for home, I did nothing much beyond sit & watch TV or goof off on the computer. Depression is a sledgehammer to the gut and it will incapacitate you.

    Good on Votto for speaking out. To me, the Puritan work ethic and overscheduled world we live in makes instances like losing a family member just a bump in the road. We're men and we're supposed to get over these things mach schnell. Unfortunately, some of us need a little more time and that bothers some people. Feelings about death and illness that are not dealt with will manifest themselves in other ways. Sometimes, getting back in the ol' routine isn't the best bet. Time heals all wounds.

    Good luck, Votto.
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

    "For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

  12. #26
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,324

    Re: Joey Votto Presser: First reports

    The one thing I hope is, after the announcement today, is that every idiot and moron who called WLW or Homer and trashed this young man, and every imbecile who made comments on websites (not this one, we did a good job here for the most part) ALL feel like total CRAP right now. You should feel bad. You had no idea what this guy was going through and you did your typical "Joe Lunchpail" reaction. I can sympathize with the guy. I lost my father at a very young age, even younger than Joey. My mother lost her mother over 3 years ago and she's still not right. She functions ok, sure, but she's not the same person I used to know. You just don't know how something like this is going to effect somebody.

  13. #27
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,260

    Re: Joey Votto Pressure: First reports

    Guys, lets keep individual posters out of this. Calling out individuals doesn't serve a purpose - the people who used "sissy" and "wimp" don't need to be reminded of it. They were wrong - and that's a privilege allowed each of us from time to time. Let Joey's own words vindicate him - if they don't nothing will reach them anyway.

  14. #28
    Member Rockermann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    262

    Re: Joey Votto Pressure: First reports

    RedlegJake.. thanks for 'correcting' the thread title. I intentionally used 'presser' as slang for 'press conference', though your correction works just as well.
    Steve
    Project-43
    http://www.project-43.com

  15. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    3,187

    Re: Joey Votto Presser: First reports

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    you guys didnt even understand what I was saying in that thread. I was saying I can completely understand why he could be viewed that way.
    You argued it more then enough to make most thinking people feel that you were saying that it was your feeling, but tried to pass it off as "seeing how others could see it that way".
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

  16. #30
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,260

    Re: Joey Votto Pressure: First reports

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockermann View Post
    RedlegJake.. thanks for 'correcting' the thread title. I intentionally used 'presser' as slang for 'press conference', though your correction works just as well.
    oops...thanks for correcting my correction! That's what happens when you start editing other people's work. And you taught me something I didn't know before Rockermann - that's pretty neat.


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25