Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryno speaks his mind about Sammy; steroids

Ryno speaks his mind about Sammy; steroids

Wow. Sandberg didn't pull any punches on this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4281359

The only thing I don't totally agree with him on is about these things being against the law and against society. In some cases, he's absolutely right. However, there are things these players have taken that are readily available at GNC and legal to use. Since some of these PED's in question were legal, and not illegal by baseball, I cannot fault players for using some of them to get an advantage - this does not mean everyone is clean, but it's the only aspect I disagree with Sandberg on.

Pretty blunt though. Interesting to hear his comments.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ryno speaks his mind about Sammy; steroids

Sandberg: Sosa doesn't belong in HallComment Email Print Share ESPNChicago.com

ESPN 1000, Chicago
    Ryne Sandberg and Bruce Sutter join "Waddle & Silvy" to reminisce about "The Sandberg Game," which occurred 25 years ago today on June 23, 1984. Sandberg also discusses whether Sammy Sosa belongs in the Hall of Fame.

More Podcasts »
    Chicago Cubs Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg said his former teammate Sammy Sosa does not belong in the Hall because of integrity issues associated with the steroids era.

The New York Times reported that Sosa was one of the 104 players in 2003 who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs.

Appearing on the "Waddle & Silvy" show on ESPN 1000, Sandberg said "I don't think so," when asked if Sosa belongs in the Hall of Fame.

"They use the word 'integrity' in describing a Hall of Famer in the logo of the Hall of Fame, and I think there are gonna be quite a few players that are not going to get in," Sandberg said. "It's been evident with the sportswriters who vote them in, with what they've done with Mark McGwire getting in the 20 percent range.

"We have some other players coming up like [Rafael] Palmeiro coming up soon, and it'll be up to the sportswriters to speak loud and clear about that. I don't see any of those guys getting in."

Sandberg and Sosa were Cubs teammates from 1992 to '94 and from '96 to '97.

"I was around Sammy for about five years before I retired, and there wasn't anything going on then," Sandberg said. "I did admire the hard work he put in. He was one of the first guys down to the batting cage, hitting extra. I figured he was working out hard in the offseason to get bigger. It was just happening throughout the game, that even myself was blinded by what was really happening, maybe starting in the '98 season.

"I think it's very unfortunate. I think suspicions were there as they are with some other players. Those players are now put in a category of being tainted players with tainted stats. I think it's obviously something that was going on in the game. Players participated in it and as the names have come out I think that they will be punished for that."

Sandberg said that punishment should include being banned from Cooperstown.

"It's something that's against the law and against society," Sandberg said. "It was cheating in the sport.

"I think it has to be spoken very loud and clear on the stance, and baseball needs to stand as they have. I'm very, very satisfied with the testing program they have in place now. For a guy who's tested positive today under what happens now like Manny Ramirez, it almost takes an idiot to participate in that. For the society, for the up-and-coming players and youth out there, I don't think those guys should be recognized at all."

I've thought for awhile that the odds were stacked against these guys being elected. I even have serious doubts about Bonds. The people with a vote take the integrity clause very, very seriously.

I figured he was working out hard in the offseason to get bigger.
    These guys must all have the same publicists because that's what all these non-steroid taking teammates say about their juicing teammates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

How about someone who's already in? What if, for the sake of argument, Sandberg gets outed as a PED user. Or Gwynn. Or Winfield.

What happens then?

Once you're in, are you in for good, like the Mafia or can you be optioned out?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    How about someone who's already in? What if, for the sake of argument, Sandberg gets outed as a PED user. Or Gwynn. Or Winfield.

What happens then?

Once you're in, are you in for good, like the Mafia or can you be optioned out?

It's like the NwO. When you're in, you're in for life.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

As shysterball points out, curious how all the P.E.D. users started using a split second after the person being interview retired.
    Uncanny really.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If Gwynn was taking PEDS, they must have been disguised as rice krispy bars.

He bumped into Mark McGwire at the All-Star game:

Jose: Hey, You got your peanut butter on my Andro!
    Tony: Hey, You got your Andro on my peanut butter!
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Now that is funny.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

He used the cream.....bavarian cream....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

BTW, while Sandberg doesn't think certain guys belong in the hall, there are people who don't think he does either....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Maybe it's just the time of night when I read it but you killed me with that one.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    BTW, while Sandberg doesn't think certain guys belong in the hall, there are people who don't think he does either....
    76.2% of sportswriters thought he belonged

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    76.2% of sportswriters thought he belonged
    Which means nothing really and its likely to mean less and less in the coming years.

Turn Off Ads?