Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: NBA 2010

Re: NBA 2010

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,7602019.story

Lakers close to deal with Artest

Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Times
    The Lakers are close to reaching an agreement with Artest.
    The move would probably end the pursuit of forward Trevor Ariza.
    By Mike Bresnahan
    July 3, 2009
    The Lakers are close to reaching an agreement with Houston Rockets forward Ron Artest, The Times has learned.

Artest has been meeting with Lakers executives throughout the day and is expected to agree to terms later this afternoon.

So that means Ariza is gone for sure. What about Odom? Probably lose him too I would imagine.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ariza verbally commits to Houston

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4303862

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Ben Gordon apparently couldn't get out of Chi-town fast enough. As a Bulls fan I hope it proves to be a bad move for him.
    Same here on both counts. BTW read a piece suggesting the Bulls may do a sign and trade of Gordon to Detroit. But getting back Iverson isn't my idea of wise even at 3 million. Could we do a sign and trade for a trade exception giving us more flexibility under the luxury tax for another short term addition? Anyone have the skinny on how that works, i'm not too up on NBA policies/rules. I'm hoping we make a deal like Tyrus and Tim Thomas for Boozer. Also like David Lee but doubt that one would get done, would hurt our flexibility for '10.

Heard we are going after/considering Marquis Daniels (formerly of Indy) with the MLE for depth at the 2.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Lakers make the wrong move going with Ron Artest
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...1013056.column

Artest to the Lakers; Ariza to the Rockets. What? Noone wants to play with King James?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Artest to the Lakers; Ariza to the Rockets. What? Noone wants to play with King James?
    They don't want to sign a multi-year deal to play in Cleveland when they know James will be gone after the next season.

Now, Mason Buzz has promised his yearly salary that James will stay in Cleveland.

On another note, David Lee would make sense for every team in the NBA. Love his game.

I'm not sure that I like Artest to the Lakers. Platschke was right when he said that Ariza was perfect for their team. He was a defender who hit open three's. Is Artest willing to play the Bruce Bowen role? Artest needs the ball more than Ariza and that mean you are raking out of Bryant, Odom, and Gasol's hands. I don't see this ending well.

As far as Ariza to the Rockets, I'm not a huge fan of that move either. Don't they already have Battier doing that job? This is very reminiscent of Minny drafting Rubio and Flynn to play the same position. They should try to get something for Battier while his stock is fairly high.

As for David Lee, be careful. He is an effort guy whose stats were padded by D'Antoni's system. In any other system he is a 12 point, 7 rebound guy. He is a slightly taller version of Hansbrough. He would be a good fit on most teams, but don't think he is going to put someone over the top.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Ariza signing was horrible. IMO he is a fantastic high energy off the bench kinda guy, but nothing to throw a ton of cash at.

As for Lee, he is a good player for any team, but it looks like it will take 8+ mil to get him. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I'm not sure that I like Artest to the Lakers. Platschke was right when he said that Ariza was perfect for their team. He was a defender who hit open three's. Is Artest willing to play the Bruce Bowen role? Artest needs the ball more than Ariza and that mean you are raking out of Bryant, Odom, and Gasol's hands. I don't see this ending well.

As far as Ariza to the Rockets, I'm not a huge fan of that move either. Don't they already have Battier doing that job? This is very reminiscent of Minny drafting Rubio and Flynn to play the same position. They should try to get something for Battier while his stock is fairly high.

As for David Lee, be careful. He is an effort guy whose stats were padded by D'Antoni's system. In any other system he is a 12 point, 7 rebound guy. He is a slightly taller version of Hansbrough. He would be a good fit on most teams, but don't think he is going to put someone over the top.
    Ariza shot way better from 3 in the postseason than he did during the regular season. Artest was up around 40%, Ariza was down near 30%, if not a little bit below. I think Artest to the Lakers will work out great. They needed to do something, and inserting Artest for Ariza is a BIG something. Maybe it won't work out, but they took a chance. And I like that risk, shows they're not content after winning it all.

Ariza to the Rockets I don't care for all that much either. He's a decent player, but I think they panicked when they lost Artest, and that move might come back to bite them. He is fairly young though, so maybe he'll continue to improve.

Lee would be PERFECT for the Cavs. They've GOT to find a quality big man who can defend the pick and roll that they can pair with Shaq and Z.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Interesting.

Free agent Hedo Turkoglu has backed out of his commitment to the Portland Trail Blazers and could be signing with the Toronto Raptors, a source close to the talks told Yahoo! Sports on Friday night.

Turkoglu had agreed on a five-year, $50 million deal with the Blazers, but changed his mind and could be headed for a five-year, $56 million deal with the Raptors. Toronto would have to renounce three free agents – Shawn Marions, Carlos Delfino and Anthony Parker – to create the cap space for Turkoglu.

Apparently, the Blazers are already busy exploring other free-agent options for the $9 million in salary-cap space.

Five years ago, Turkoglu was close to signing with the Phoenix Suns that now-Toronto GM Bryan Colangelo was running, but changed his mind and went to the Orlando Magic.

Turkoglu's wife is rumored to love Toronto. She must have upped the ante. =)

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Lee would be PERFECT for the Cavs. They've GOT to find a quality big man who can defend the pick and roll that they can pair with Shaq and Z.
    I agree with the big man defense needed in Cleveland... but... since when does David Lee play defense?

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

[QUOTE][The Boston Globe is reporting that free agent Rasheed Wallace has committed to sign a contract with the Celtics.

The deal is expected to be two years at the mid-level exception (approximately $5.8 million), as the Celtics' enthusiastic recruiting paid off in a big way. Rasheed was reportedly impressed by Danny Ainge's promise that his arrival wouldn't prohibit the Celtics from adding more talent to the roster. It remains to be seen whether this affects Boston's stance toward restricted FA Glen Davis.

Source: Boston Globe /QUOTE]

Turn Off Ads?