Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: NBA 2010

Re: NBA 2010

Looks like Celtics are also going for Grant Hill with their biannual exception, and the Spurs are trying to sign Big Baby Davis.

lol@Jefferson + Davis in the same locker room...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Duncan, Davis, Ginobili, Jefferson and Parker. One exceptional starting five.

I remain unconvinced by Big Baby, though he had a fine playoff run. I'm guessing he'll need some serious back-up help, as his body type often gets worn down playing 40 minutes per game. Of course, with Gooden there, he's got that.

On another note, the Celtics, if they get both Hill and Wallace, should be fun to watch as well. Both would play on the perimeter, allowing Rondo to drive and dish four ways. This, in turn, would make them a much more run and gun team, similar to the Knicks, but with, y'know, talent.

Still, they're an old team. Seriously old. And injuries have a way of crippling old teams fast. Unless they're the Spurs, who just keep on keeping on.

Latest on LO and Portland: Blazers not interested, according to a source.
    http://twitter.com/RicBucher

Shannon Brown returning to Lakers
    By Broderick Turner | 5:07 PM PDT
    The backup point guard, who earned a more prominent role during the playoffs, agrees to a two-year, $4.2-million deal, with a player option the second year.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/

Interesting three team trade being discussed:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4317515

Another major multi-team trade might be looming in the NBA with the Portland Trail Blazers, Utah Jazz and Chicago Bulls having discussed a deal that would be headlined by Carlos Boozer and Kirk Hinrich, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources stressed to ESPN.com that no deal was imminent Thursday and that both Portland and Utah are still evaluating multiple trade scenarios. But two sources with knowledge of the three-team proposal confirmed that there have been substantive talks regarding a trade that would land Boozer in Chicago, Hinrich in Portland and Tyrus Thomas in Utah.

A deal featuring those main components would deliver the elite low-post scorer that the Bulls have been chasing for years in Boozer and furnish Portland with a lead guard in Hinrich that the Blazers are known to rate highly as a potential backcourt mate for Brandon Roy. It's possible that other players would be added to balance out the transaction from a salary-cap perspective if the three teams elect to take these talks further.

Yet even if this deal collapses, sources say it is clear that the Jazz are becoming increasingly open to the possibility of moving Boozer now to increase their financial flexibility to re-sign restricted free agent Paul Millsap.

Despite fresh reports Thursday about the Blazers weighing whether to sign Millsap to an offer sheet, Hinrich is the player Portland prefers, according to one source close to the process, after the Blazers came so close last week to landing the versatile Hedo Turkoglu.

Boozer has only one season left at $12.7 million after declining the option in his contract to become an unrestricted free agent July 1. It's believed that the Jazz are determined to keep Millsap but are concerned about the luxury-tax consequences of signing him to a long-term deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Interesting three team trade being discussed:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4317515
    Nice I was hoping for something like this to happen for my Bulls but seems like we'd have to make a trade for another solid guard. I'd hate to see Hinrich go, love his play. However it's time to find some low post scoring and open up cap space for next season for Chris Bosh and/or Dwayne Wade, I'm not convinced Wade is staying in Miami for sure.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Nice I was hoping for something like this to happen for my Bulls but seems like we'd have to make a trade for another solid guard. I'd hate to see Hinrich go, love his play. However it's time to find some low post scoring and open up cap space for next season for Chris Bosh and/or Dwayne Wade, I'm not convinced Wade is staying in Miami for sure.
    As a Jazz fan unless there are some picks or another player from Portland involved I don't love that trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    If Wade does leave, I think Chicago could be a real player for his services.

IIRC, he is from Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'm not ready to pencil in the Hawks as title contenders just yet, but they're not that far off. In the backcourt, they have Bibby, Johnson, Crawford, and Teague to be their understudy. Up front, Smith, Horford & Pachulia is a solid core of bigs. If they can pick up another serviceable big guy and stay healthy, I think they officially have enough pieces to play deep into the post-season.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

The Mavericks' Next Trade?

When the Dallas Mavericks' season ended at the hands of the Denver Nuggets in the second round of the NBA Playoffs, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban vowed that, economy be damned, he was going to add an All-Star and make sure the Mavs would be back with a vengeance in 2009-2010. On Wednesday morning, after hours of negotiations and sessions of numbers-crunching that would have given Albert Einstein a headache, the Cuban's front office staff delivered on his promise of a couple months go.

It took four teams to get it done, but the Mavericks have acquired All-Star small forward Shawn Marion from the Toronto Raptors in a deal that also landed forward Kris Humphries, center Nathan Jawai and cash considerations from the Raptors and guard Greg Buckner from the Memphis Grizzlies, sending guard Antoine Wright and forward Devean George to Toronto and guard Jerry Stackhouse and cash considerations to Memphis. Additionally, Memphis obtains a second round pick and cash considerations from Toronto, while Orlando trades Hedo Turkoglu to Toronto for cash considerations from Dallas and Toronto.

Got all that?

So essentially what the Mavericks accomplished was they added another wing player in Marion who plays the same position as Josh Howard, with the initial thought being that they could play Howard at the two. While that could certainly work, if we look at the rest of this trade, it seems more likely the team will make a subsequent move to acquire a true shooting guard - one who makes them a contender.

First of all, the trade sent out Devean George and Antoine Wright, two of the Mavs' primary rotation players at the two. Neither was really good enough to start (and George was injured a lot), but they platooned well enough to get the job done in a stop-gap sort of way. Stackhouse was also a major factor at the two for a couple of seasons, but his own injuries cost him nearly all of last season and it's very likely that he has seen his last NBA game as a player. In short, the Mavs traded away three shooting guards.

Coming back was Greg Buckner, who Mavs fans know well. While Buck is a great defender, he's basically a non-factor on the offensive end. He appeared in 63 games for the Grizzlies last season, but averaged just 2.5 points per game on 38% shooting - numbers typical of his NBA career. He's a defense-only guy.

On the other hand, the Mavericks also got Nathan Jawai as part of the package from Toronto. Jawai is a legitimate center who was expected to get a shot to really make his mark in Toronto last season. Unfortunately, injuries prevented that, but at 6'10" and 280 pounds, Jawai is a serious presence in the middle. Keeping in mind that the Mavericks are also very likely to land Marcin Gortat from the Orlando Magic (assuming the Magic don't match their offer), the team now has three legit centers on the roster and Ryan Hollins waiting in the wings.

Does anyone believe Erick Dampier is actually going to be in Dallas on opening night?

While it sounds nice to say Shawn Marion and Josh Howard could play together on the wings in Dallas . . .and they might just be able to . . .it seems more likely the Mavs continue to shop Erick Dampier, who's contract will end this season if he doesn't average 28 minutes per game (he averaged 23 last season). That's basically a $12 million ending deal, and so many teams are looking to cut costs that it just seems unlikely that Dallas would be unable to move it.

Consider for a moment two teams who are looking to cut salary, and also happen to have a gaping hole in the middle after moves made to date. First on the list is the Phoenix Suns, and while Suns' owner Robert Sarver's first choice isn't dealing with Dallas, he's not having much luck getting a deal done to cut additional costs. The Suns are said to be interested in moving Jason Richardson, and his deal is close to enough that a trade for Dampier would work . . .and give Phoenix a center to play ahead of Robin Lopez.

Second, the Detroit Pistons are currently without a center and are shopping guard Richard Hamilton. Rip's number also matches up with Dampier's, and again, the Pistons have seen both of their centers sign with other teams over the last few days.

If the Mavericks are serious about adding a shooting guard, which they should be, and about trading Erick Dampier, there are certainly some discussion to be had that accomplish both of those things. And imagine how good the Mavs would be with Hamilton or Richardson starting next to Jason Kidd and Marion coming off the bench with Jason Terry.

Scary good . . .

The Hidden Gem

While all of the headlines today have been about the above trade, there was another move made today that is just as intriguing. The Indiana Pacers, running very much under the radar to this point, signed Denver Nuggets free agent guard Dahntay Jones. Jones, you'll recall did a solid job of getting under Kobe Bryant's skin in the Western Conference Finals.
    "[Pacers president] Larry Bird and [general manager] David Morway contacted me the first night of free agency and expressed a lot of interest in Dahntay," Jones' agent, Mark Bartelstein, said, according to The Indianapolis Star. "The Pacers are getting somebody that competes with an edge and is a lockdown defender. He's going to bring a defensive mind-set to the team."

Jones' reputation as a defensive stopper was already solid, but he's someone who can be a game-changer for the Pacers, who lost a large percentage of their games last season in the final two minutes. If Jones can provide a couple of stops and Danny Granger can continue to be the dagger man, the Pacers could improve their record significantly. Considering how dominant Roy Hibbert and Tyler Hansbrough have been in early summer league play, this should be a playoff team next season.
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13253

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I'm not ready to pencil in the Hawks as title contenders just yet, but they're not that far off. In the backcourt, they have Bibby, Johnson, Crawford, and Teague to be their understudy. Up front, Smith, Horford & Pachulia is a solid core of bigs. If they can pick up another serviceable big guy and stay healthy, I think they officially have enough pieces to play deep into the post-season.
    IIRC, the Bucks are toying with the idea of signing Josh Childress to an offer sheet. Should that occur, will the Hawks try to match the offer or let him go?

Free agent forward Brandon Bass has reached an agreement in principle on a four-year deal with the Orlando Magic.

With Marcin Gortat all but gone, and Tony Battie traded away to New Jersey, the Magic were desperate to add a big man to their roster. It stands to reason that Bass will get decent minutes in Orlando, but having him on the court with Dwight Howard will be a drag on their shooting, for which they will turn to Ryan Anderson.
    Grant Hill(notes) has decided to re-sign with Phoenix, and a large part of the decision is based on the belief that Steve Nash(notes) is close to reaching an agreement on a contract extension, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Hill has begun telling associates he’s staying with the Suns. Phoenix owner Robert Sarver, general manager Steve Kerr and coach Alvin Gentry met with Hill on Wednesday night and Thursday morning in Florida.

The Suns will also sign free agent Channing Frye(notes) to a two-year deal for $3.8 million, sources said. The second season is at Frye’s option.

The New York Knicks reportedly offered Hill the choice of a one-year, $5 million deal or a three-year, $10 million contract. Hill also had an offer from the Boston Celtics.Nevertheless, he’s believed to be comfortable with the direction of the Suns to re-sign there.

The terms of the Nash extension are unclear, although one source believes it is a three-year deal worth about $33 million.
    Also, it appears that the proposed Stoudemire to Golden State deal is dead.

It took four teams to get it done, but the Mavericks have acquired All-Star small forward Shawn Marion from the Toronto Raptors in a deal that also landed forward Kris Humphries, center Nathan Jawai and cash considerations from the Raptors and guard Greg Buckner from the Memphis Grizzlies, sending guard Antoine Wright and forward Devean George to Toronto and guard Jerry Stackhouse and cash considerations to Memphis. Additionally, Memphis obtains a second round pick and cash considerations from Toronto, while Orlando trades Hedo Turkoglu to Toronto for cash considerations from Dallas and Toronto.
    Is Jerry "Boomerang" Stackhouse going to be released by Memphis and end up back in Dallas? Haven't we seen the show before?

EDIT: MEMPHIS, TENN.(AP) —The Memphis Grizzlies have waived Jerry Stackhouse(notes), just a day after acquiring the NBA veteran in a four-team, eight-player trade.
    What took so long?

How fast of a tempo do the Mavs play? Marion has proven he is pretty terrible in a slower system, thats why I was curious.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    How fast of a tempo do the Mavs play? Marion has proven he is pretty terrible in a slower system, thats why I was curious.
    Carlisle had the reputation as a slow paced grind it out coach, but halfway through the season he turned over the play calling to Kidd, and Dallas seemed to take off. I would imagine Kidd is drooling over the thought of Marion and Howard on the wings to run down the floor with. I like the trade for Dallas as they gave up little to get Matrix, just not sure where there outside shooting will come from.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?