Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: I told you guys Owings wasn't worthy of our 5th spot

Re: I told you guys Owings wasn't worthy of our 5th spot

Once again, lets think logically here. The guy has a 4.87 ERA. The NL average ERA is 4.25 OVERALL. I don't have stats for the 5th slot in the rotation out there overall in MLB, but I'm guessing he's got some of the best numbers for that slot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    We all know there are bigger problems than our 5th starter.

The main thing that ticks me off about the owings situation is i dont see why we dont give others a shot at making an impression.
    Volquez is out. Maloney has had two starts. Bailey has had a start and is getting another one. Where exactly are those guys not getting shots? We only have 4 starters right now, period.

[QUOTE=bgwilly31;1902996]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post

Other 5th starters around the league. The guy just isnt a good pitcher. Instead of defending him by saying They all are are like that. Which somebody earlier proved they arent all like that. Explain to me why is he a good pitcher. What owings pitch is deadly>? Does he ever just OWN a guy at the plate>?
    Well then you are dead wrong.
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 06-24-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mivers176 View Post
    I dont have a problem with Owings either...not for a #5 anyway. But I decided to check a few other good options that other teams have as a #5 just for fun.

Houston
    Russ Ortiz 3-3 3.47era

Oakland
    V.Mazzaro 2-2 2.56era (only 31 ip though)

StLouis
    B.Thompson 2-2 3.89

Cubs
    Randy Wells 1-2 2.57

TB
    J.Niemann 6-4 4.23

so, to compare to the one post about plug in anyone's 5th starter and get the same results, I cant agree. I only checked about 10 teams and these 5 were superior. I'd say Owings is somewhere in the middle, closer to the bottom half than the top actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post

Well then you are dead wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    You just use 5 pitcher to prove a point? I could use 5 different pitchers and thier stats to make Owings look like Cy Young. Pretty much meaningless don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    Ownings is not the answer. He may be fine in a long relief role, or a spot start now and then. Bring Bailey up, give him 10-15 starts.
    I think we will see Bailey up for 10-15 games regardless:

""
    From a JohnFay tweet:

Volquez is pushed back after MRI finds inflammation. Return before All Star break unlikely.
    ""

Maloney is back in AAA. Bailey should stick up in the bigs for awhile.

See if his newfound splitter out pitch can work against Major Leaguers.
    If he can still dial it up to 96, anybody/everybody is going to have a hard time laying off that pitch.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Brad Thompson is not a starter for the Cards. He is the long man who gets a spot start every once in a while. 4 GS does not equal 5th starter. Try Todd Wellemeyer (6-7, 5.53)

I thought Brian Moehler (4-4, 6.43) was the Astros 5th starter? Owings sure looks better than that.

Most teams don't have 5 bonafide starters. Owings is fine as the 5th for the Reds.
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

Owings was also asked to do something that no other 5th starter has been asked to do....pitch 5+ innings before his scheduled start time during the midnight hours EST in San Diego. That took about 3 starts for him to get back to what he started out in May, pitching very well and winning games. Before last night's start, he'd pitched well in his past few games, and so, he has been improving when you look at it this way.

Fortunately, I know that Jockety sees it this way, too, and nothing's going to change on the Owings front with this team. Owings has been a positive for this team.

I whole-heartedly expect Owings to either Win his next start, or give up 2 or fewer earned runs. If he was not a worthy #5 starter, then this will not happen, but it will happen.

Owings has been a #4 starter since Volquez went down, and has pitched well enough for that, too. With this newest of news on Volquez, I expect Owings will step up to the challenge. He's got the moxie to do so.

If Owings posts a sub-4.30 ERA over his next 5 starts, will those who doubt that he's worthy of being the #5/#4 starter admit that he's worthy of it? I picked sub-4.30 because that's an very good number for a #4 starter.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-24-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDSEER View Post
    6 IP 2 ER
    5.1 IP 1 ER
    6 IP 2 ER

These were Owings' three starts BEFORE last night's. Just because the guy had a bad start in 1 out of 4 doesn't mean that he doesn't deserve a spot in the rotation. Look at the numbers. He has kept us in the game in most of his starts. That's what a 5th starter is supposed to do.
    Those three games right there end this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    In order to keep this team in most games he needs to be pitching a shut out. Your right though his numbers aren't that bad. But if they are losing most of the time he pitches it makes it easy to call for change.
    Then that makes Harang not worthy of being the 5th starter.

Hard to believe we're using Owings over Bailey.

My God, Bailey is awful every time he comes up.

As a general rule, it is hard to identify sarcasm in text. (That is not sarcasm)

Owings is just fine as a 5th starter. He is young, cheap, and has a track record of being a successful (although not dominating) MLB level starter during both his years in Arizona (his injured starts withheld) and Cincinnati. In fact, I would argue that he is as good of a 5th starter that the Reds have had in the last ten years or more.

As fun as it is to play the "what if?" game, the fact of the matter is this:

Maloney is not starting in MLB yet (regularly) because he is not yet a MLB quality starter.
    Bailey is not starting in MLB yet (regularly) because he is not yet a MLB quality starter.
    Pitcher X in the Reds' farm system is not starting in MLB yet (regularly) because he is not yet a MLB quality starter.

Projections are great, but they are far from being a be-all-end-all with regards to how players perform. I think a lot of people take for granted the skill set required to be an average MLB starter. This is a very hard game and you can't just plug in toolsey player after toolsey player, or successful minor leaguer after successful minor leaguer without looking at much more. If you do, you become Jim Bowden.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

How many times are we going to have to go through this? Owings is a decent to good 5th starter, just because you guys have some weird fascination for Homer quit trying to knock Owings.

He gives the Reds a chance to win the games he pitches just about everytime he goes out there. It's not his fault that this lineup can't produce any runs.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Last night wasn't Homer's best effort by a long shot. But homer walking the town still has better stuff then Micah Owings.... which allows us to win. God this decision is plain as day.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Last night wasn't Homer's best effort by a long shot. But homer walking the town still has better stuff then Micah Owings.... which allows us to win. God this decision is plain as day.
    Homer @ 7 walks and 5IP > Owings' ceiling?

I would agree that Homer's ceiling is probably higher than Owings' ceiling, but saying that you prefer the first of those lines is just an asinine statement. Owings has a track record of being successful and Bailey has a track record of being inconsistent and walking the town EVERY TIME. Owings allows us to win as well- this doesn't have to be an either-or situation.

Regardless of how you feel, we are going to get to see a lot of these two guys- probably at least 4 or 5 starts by Homer in the coming weeks. That will tell you if Homer is better than Owings, and if Homer belongs in the MLB or if he should try and found the AAAA league along with Brandon Larson.
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Turn Off Ads?