Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: I told you guys Owings wasn't worthy of our 5th spot

Re: I told you guys Owings wasn't worthy of our 5th spot

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Maybe we should change this thread to "Bronson Arroyo isn't worth of our 5th spot." Games like this seem to be happening more and more often for him. As of right now, I would not even contemplate trading Owings' production for Arroyo's, regardless of money involved. Arroyo is making his contract look more and more like an untradeable albatross with every start.
    He would of definitely had more support for his argument then.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Maybe we should change this thread to "Bronson Arroyo isn't worth of our 5th spot." Games like this seem to be happening more and more often for him. As of right now, I would not even contemplate trading Owings' production for Arroyo's, regardless of money involved. Arroyo is making his contract look more and more like an untradeable albatross with every start.
    Bronson is Bronson (I love it when guys get to that point). I looked at the numbers, here is what I saw.
    April/May: BaBIP: .325 (Batting Average of Balls in Play)
    May: .244
    June: .297
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Bronson is Bronson (I love it when guys get to that point). I looked at the numbers, here is what I saw.
    April/May: BaBIP: .325 (Batting Average of Balls in Play)
    May: .244
    June: .297
    Batting Average of any type doesn't tell any of the story of how horrible Bronson has been.

If it was only singles, it'd be great, but it's all the Doubles, Triples, and Homeruns that opponents get against him that shows that he just gets pounded nearly every time out.

While that can also be said about Owings, which is probably JB32's point, Owings has been able to get that 3rd out and keep the runs from being scored, while also improving as the season has gone along.

If it wasn't for the sacrifice that Owings made for the team in San Diego about 8 starts ago, Owings would probably have a string of 10 of 11 great outings in a row. The San Diego game screwed him up for the next two games, and then he got back on track to the way he was throwing up to and including that San Diego game....giving up 2 runs or less in nearly every start.

You're right. The way Michah's pitched of late, he's not worthy a the 5th spot....more like the 3rd!

As of right now if the Nats called and offered Dunn for Owing straight up I wouldn't do it.

He is still young and doesn't cost much.Since the end of May he has had just 1 start where he gave up more then 2 runs.When he gets 3 ABs in a game he almost always contributes to the offense.I can't really figure out what anyone doesn't like about the guy other then that there are starters in the org. that have a higher ceiling.I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    As of right now if the Nats called and offered Dunn for Owing straight up I wouldn't do it.

He is still young and doesn't cost much.Since the end of May he has had just 1 start where he gave up more then 2 runs.When he gets 3 ABs in a game he almost always contributes to the offense.I can't really figure out what anyone doesn't like about the guy other then that there are starters in the org. that have a higher ceiling.I can live with that.
    I went to the game today with a friend who is a Cardinals fan, and after watching the painful loss the previous night I actually felt confident in Owings. And boy did he deliver pitching and hitting! I am with you, I like the guy and he is here to stay, there is no reason him and Homer both can't fit in our rotation.

The problem with him is he doesn't through real hard and doesn't have a big strike out pitch... if he put up the same numbers with a nasty strike out pitch people would be praising him.

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

It really is nice to see how much Owings has improved as the season has progressed. Solid ML pitcher. More than I ever thought we'd be able to get for Adam Dunn.

part of BBN

In the days of Joey Hamilton, Jimmy Haynes & Paul Wilson, Owings would have been our #1.
    I am just glad we have improved enough, we are debating him being the #5.

they call it the 5th spot for a reason. he is the 5th best starter on the team. once volquez comes back he will be the 6th. i think he has done a good job in the 5th spot. he has given us about what you would expect and he has done better than then 5th spot did all of last year.

The farther Micah gets from his arm injury, the better he looks.

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    they call it the 5th spot for a reason. he is the 5th best starter on the team. once volquez comes back he will be the 6th. i think he has done a good job in the 5th spot. he has given us about what you would expect and he has done better than then 5th spot did all of last year.
    The way things look right now, when volquez comes back owings is still in the 5 spot. Arroyo needs to right his ship quick.

Turn Off Ads?