Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: I told you guys Owings wasn't worthy of our 5th spot

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Re: I told you guys Owings wasn't worthy of our 5th spot

Well, this has turned into an amusing thread.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I'm clearly happy that Owings sparkled today. I'm a Reds fan. But Owings is good start, bad start. I don't think he'll ever have extended success in our ballpark especially. Obviously it's nice that he pitched us to a win today but he's still 5-8. So here I am. Micah Owings threw really well today and I'm happy. The Indians are not a good team and good teams will make you pay for 4 BB and throwing balls down the middle of the plate. They got themselves out a lot today.
    Harang has the same record... Arroyo's ERA is Higher... He has a better ERA over his last 5 starts than Cueto... BA against is .271 Harang's is .292 Arroyo's is .280... His K rate is higher than Bronson's. Bailey's first 19 starts don't even compare numbers wise to Owings. Owings hs produced alone 10 addtional runs with his bat not including the addtional at bats he helped other postion players get that achieved addtional runs. Yep. He sucks. Lucky he is more than a bat boy...

I have said it before I am not a huge Owings fan but as long he is getting his job done I don't care, just like Homer last night not the greatest start but it could have been a lot worse but the thing that matters is we got the W on both days.

Why are we ALWAYS bashing our own players??

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_RedsFan View Post
    I have said it before I am not a huge Owings fan but as long he is getting his job done I don't care, just like Homer last night not the greatest start but it could have been a lot worse but the thing that matters is we got the W on both days.

Why are we ALWAYS bashing our own players??
    I think thats the point really. I mean our staff isnt full of aces and yet we wanna say a guy with a era of under 5 is not worthy of the 5 spot? He may not be that good but he gets the job done and a lot of teams would kill 4 his production.

Unless you have been a lifelong Twins, Braves, Red Sox, or other pitching titan team fan your entire life, then you should not be upset at all with Owings' performance. Watching Belisle, Fogg, and other pathetic excuses for major league pitchers go up and toe the rubber every fifth day makes me very thankful to have Micah Owings on the roster.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Owings ERA 4.87
    National league average ERA 4.40 for starters

The dude isnt a world beater but he certainly has been a pretty good addition to this team. He's actually a pretty big addition and he can even afford to have a couple bad outings before I would replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Owings ERA 4.87
    National league average ERA 4.40 for starters

The dude isnt a world beater but he certainly has been a pretty good addition to this team. He's actually a pretty big addition and he can even afford to have a couple bad outings before I would replace him.
    Actually, after yesterday's outing his ERA is down to 4.63. Even better.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

If the 5th starter in my rotation has a 4.63 ERA, I'm pretty darn happy.

Last night wasn't Homer's best effort by a long shot. But homer walking the town still has better stuff then Micah Owings.... which allows us to win. God this decision is plain as day.
    C'mon, JB. Your point is proven to be wrong. Owings has pitched better than any starter on the REDS over their last 5 starts. Owings is the best starting pitcher on the team right now. In 4 of his last 5 starts, he's given up 2 runs or less.

Please don't bring this up again for the rest of the year. It's not worthy of a response anymore.

There should be a rule in REDSZONE, "If your point is proven to be wrong, you should admit it, and be forbidden to bring it up again for the rest of the season." But, next time Owings gets a loss or has a bad game, you'll be trying to post this again. Please try hard to refrain from doing so, as doing so doesn't give your point any more credence.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-29-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Micah has us in an early hole again. Strange.
    Only this post was strange.

Where's your "I was wrong" post?

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I realize that, by contributing this post, I am about to contradict what I'll say, but...

This topic needs to die. The only thing worse than a bad topic is bumping the bad topic when the circumstances seem to support that action. Then the circumstances change, and the original post gets reinforced with more bumps.

So I guess what I'm saying is, are we gonna do this all year long with Micah Owings? :
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by jfar23 View Post
    I really don't understand how Owings pitches as well as he does with his stuff and control but he is some how pretty average in spite of it.
    True. In support of JayBruce32, Owings should not be doing as well as he is (4 of his last 5 games giving up 2 runs or fewer), but he's getting it done when it counts. That right there says that he's got a very good pitcher's mind, and that he's able to make the right pitches at the right time.

But Owings is good start, bad start. I don't think he'll ever have extended success in our ballpark especially.
    Can you read a boxscore?

4 of his last 5 starts he's given up 2 runs or less.

What do you want him to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty623 View Post
    If the 5th starter in my rotation has a 4.63 ERA, I'm pretty darn happy.
    That should seal it for any sane person.

a 4.63 ERA out of our 3 & 4 would be acceptable as well.

Owings is currently our 3rd best starting pitcher.
    Arguing that he's not our #5 is really moot right now.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Listen here...

If Dusty just takes the guy out after 100 Pitches, Everything will be fine... He is Lucky Dusty didn't leave gim in there after he hit that Batter last night... I didn't think Dusty should push him then... I am glad Danny didn't let that Runner in!

Turn Off Ads?