Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Immediate Promotions

Immediate Promotions

It is now June 24, more than two weeks after the draft and less than three weeks from the ASB. The rookie league seasons have begun and the first half of the minor league seasons are over. The following players should be promoted immediately IMO.

RHP Homer Bailey to Cincinnati
    CF Drew Stubbs to Cincinnati
    CF Chris Heisey to Louisville
    3B Todd Frazier to Louisville
    LHP Travis Wood to Louisville
    LHP Matt Fairel to Sarasota
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Immediate Promotions

Wood I would like to see a bit more before he is promoted, and also Fairel. However, I can't disagree with any of the other moves (assuming WT is either DFA's, sent to minors, or DL'd.

RHP Homer Bailey to Cincinnati - Going to happen

CF Drew Stubbs to Cincinnati - Should happen but I don't see it until late August or early Sept.

CF Chris Heisey to Louisville - Will happen when Stubbs gets promoted

3B Todd Frazier to Louisville - Whats the rush? I expect him to be a Red middle of 2010. So I don't see the need for an immediate promotion.

LHP Travis Wood to Louisville - I would leave him in AA ball all season long. AA seems to be where the best prospects are. AAA seems to be the waiting period for the bigs as well as your AAAA players.

LHP Matt Fairel to Sarasota - Don't know enough about him to comment.

Stubbs absolutely should NOT be promoted until Sept at the earliest. 2010 should be his timetable, and I'm starting to buy into him a bit. but lets see how he does in the second half. It'll be the first time he's done a full season at one level since LowA.

Heisey same thing. Louisville at the end of the season and AAA starter next year.

Frazier to Louisville is ok with me.

Wood, no, but Fairel yes. The FSL won't hurt Fairel.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Heisey appears to be on his way to Louisville later this week. Good move, IMO.

My assumption is there will be movement upwards for several of these guys in the next several days. There is still plenty of time in the minor league season for guys to get a taste at a higher level.

IMO Heisey should move up regardless whether Stubbs stays at AAA. They can play different outfield positions, doesn't have to be centerfield only.

Frazier probably stays at AA to play third while Francisco is out. When Francisco comes back, Frazier should move up. He should play 3B and LF at AAA and get ready for a major league callup in 2010.

As for the pitchers, when Bailey goes to the Reds this weekend, I'd guess Wood goes to AAA to take his place. Wood has had a full year at AA now, is dominating, I'd let him get his feet wet at AAA.

Later in the summer, I'd like to see Cozart moved up to AAA to face some more experienced pitching. Cozart has become an important prospect for the Reds, their best hope in the org for that key SS position, and I would try to advance him fairly soon.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Stubbs absolutely should NOT be promoted until Sept at the earliest. 2010 should be his timetable, and I'm starting to buy into him a bit. but lets see how he does in the second half. It'll be the first time he's done a full season at one level since LowA.
    Why exactly?

He has very good strike zone judgment and can play top notch CF defense. Those two things will help him greatly when he makes the jump from AAA to the bigs. He may struggle to get a hit but throughout his entire minor league career he has found a way to get to 1b. Its something the Reds don't have right now at the MLB level.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    It is now June 24, more than two weeks after the draft and less than three weeks from the ASB. The rookie league seasons have begun and the first half of the minor league seasons are over. The following players should be promoted immediately IMO.

RHP Homer Bailey to Cincinnati
    CF Drew Stubbs to Cincinnati
    CF Chris Heisey to Louisville
    3B Todd Frazier to Louisville
    LHP Travis Wood to Louisville
    LHP Matt Fairel to Sarasota
    Agree x 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    My assumption is there will be movement upwards for several of these guys in the next several days. There is still plenty of time in the minor league season for guys to get a taste at a higher level.

IMO Heisey should move up regardless whether Stubbs stays at AAA. They can play different outfield positions, doesn't have to be centerfield only.

Frazier probably stays at AA to play third while Francisco is out. When Francisco comes back, Frazier should move up. He should play 3B and LF at AAA and get ready for a major league callup in 2010.

As for the pitchers, when Bailey goes to the Reds this weekend, I'd guess Wood goes to AAA to take his place. Wood has had a full year at AA now, is dominating, I'd let him get his feet wet at AAA.

Later in the summer, I'd like to see Cozart moved up to AAA to face some more experienced pitching. Cozart has become an important prospect for the Reds, their best hope in the org for that key SS position, and I would try to advance him fairly soon.
    Agree with most of this. Cozart and Avery are two guys I'd like to see moved up by the end of the summer, assuming they continue to produce. Cozart may move up once Sutton gets a shot with the Reds, and Valaika slides over to 2B in Louisville. Avery has pitched well in Carolina and deserves a look in Louisville before the end of the year, as his status could be in limbo heading into 2010.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Why exactly?

He has very good strike zone judgment and can play top notch CF defense. Those two things will help him greatly when he makes the jump from AAA to the bigs. He may struggle to get a hit but throughout his entire minor league career he has found a way to get to 1b. Its something the Reds don't have right now at the MLB level.
    until very recently, he'd been having a good season. I'm not sold though. In his minor league career he's struggled whenever he was at any level for any length of time. The Reds masked it with promotions last season. He was flat dominated at High A, and the same thing was starting to happen at AA before he was promoted again. From all accounts he an elite defender, and I can accept that for fact. But at the plate I think he needs some development. It is in his best interest and the Reds to keep him at Louisville to continue that learning curve.

Here is another reason why. The only reason to bring him to the Reds is to make him a starter. There isn't a need for him to do be that right now. CF SHOULD belong to Dickerson. LF a Nix/Gomes strict platoon, until Frazier or the surging Dorn take over.

There is a real chance Stubbs could come to the Reds this week and be an immediate success, and he could also flop. Dickerson has proven at the major league level that he can play the position and hit MLB pitching.

It would be one thing if Stubbs dominated and stromed his way through the minor league system, but he hasn't.

until very recently, he'd been having a good season. I'm not sold though. In his minor league career he's struggled whenever he was at any level for any length of time. The Reds masked it with promotions last season. He was flat dominated at High A, and the same thing was starting to happen at AA before he was promoted again. From all accounts he an elite defender, and I can accept that for fact. But at the plate I think he needs some development. It is in his best interest and the Reds to keep him at Louisville to continue that learning curve.

Here is another reason why. The only reason to bring him to the Reds is to make him a starter. There isn't a need for him to do be that right now. CF SHOULD belong to Dickerson. LF a Nix/Gomes strict platoon, until Frazier or the surging Dorn take over.

There is a real chance Stubbs could come to the Reds this week and be an immediate success, and he could also flop. Dickerson has proven at the major league level that he can play the position and hit MLB pitching.

It would be one thing if Stubbs dominated and stromed his way through the minor league system, but he hasn't.
    Disagree. Challenge thy hitters. Stubbs turns 25 soon and has hit very well in AAA over a few months. There's no reason why CF in Cincinnati shouldn't be a platoon right now between Stubbs and Dickerson, who has a decidedly low OPS against lefties (though I'll admit, the sample size has been tiny.) That way, you can ease either one into a potential full-time starting role in 2010.
    Go BLUE!!!

Stubbs absolutely should NOT be promoted until Sept at the earliest. 2010 should be his timetable, and I'm starting to buy into him a bit.

LF a Nix/Gomes strict platoon, until Frazier or the surging Dorn take over.
    Dorn is not going to be the Reds left fielder. He's an overrated prospect on this board, in my opinion. He's a one dimensional guy -- he hits righties. Other prospects -- and Nix ands Dickerson, at the major league level -- are better rounded players.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I'm a production guy. If he produces, he has value.

This is the first time he's produced for a length of time exceeding two months since the second half of the season at Dayton, 2007.

He was pwned at High A

He wasn't any better at AA, but started to heat up a bit before being promoted to AAA.

He had a nice 75 AB's at AAA last year.

But he was tired when he got to the AFL. Funny that Frazier wasn't tired in the HWL.

I think log term IF he's really a top prospect, he has to prove it against teams that have seen him more than once. Let the IL face him in the second half, or move him now while his trade value is high. True, he might come to the bigs and do very well. or if he's not developed properly, he goes all Delmon Young on the league, be a good to great talent WITHOUT the proper training.

I think the Reds need to be in a position to evaluate how well several players can contribute to next year's team. I am tired of hedging by signing a number of middle of the road ML free agents who then end up blocking the progress of minor league players who could have a higher upside.

The Reds need to evaluate Cozart, as SS is their greatest need. If he is not ready next year, then they will need to get one. Send him to AAA in July.

There is a slightly less critical need to evaluate Frasier at 3B. I am not ready to pencil in EE for next year. They need to know if Frasier can be a valid plan B.

WT is not doing what they got him for. A Stubbs/Dickerson platoon could hardly do worse. Give Stubbs a shot. He is safely out of super 2 territory.

Although Nix/Gomes is looking pretty good now, neither is under contract for next year. The Reds will need to determine whether to resign them. Dorn is starting to hit. The remainder of the AAA season should be sufficient to evaluate him. Heisey needs to see AAA pitching. I can't help but notice the increase in power for Heisey this year. In prior years he a HR every 46 ABs. This year it is one every 20. If he is blocked in CF by Stubbs, he could conceivably be a corner OF'er. Also, if not 3B, Frasier would also provide an OF option.

Pitching is a less critical need for next year. Wood is young. We can afford to go slowly with him. IF Bailey sticks, bring Wood up to AAA in August.

Turn Off Ads?