Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Immediate Promotions

Re: Immediate Promotions

Here comes another 10 page Drew Stubbs thread.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Here comes another 10 page Drew Stubbs thread.
    I hope not. I was just giving TRF some crap. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I hope not. I was just giving TRF some crap. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.
    don't want it to be that, so i'm done with the thread.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Dorn is not going to be the Reds left fielder. He's an overrated prospect on this board, in my opinion. He's a one dimensional guy -- he hits righties. Other prospects -- and Nix ands Dickerson, at the major league level -- are better rounded players.
    Agreed, he might make a good LH-pinch hitter, that's about it IMO.
    Go BLUE!!!

I think Dorn could be a cheap, productive LH part of a platoon. 290/375/500 is really solid production and Dorn is capable (or has shown he's capable in the past) of that line.

He's been horrible for two months in AAA, but good this month. I expect he closes the year closer to his career numbers and some of those outside the organization take notice.

He'd be a great target for a small market team looking for cheap production from a corner OF spot.

Know any of those teams?

What has Stubbs Done to deserve to be Promoted? .284 avg. 2 homers 20 RBIs 26 runs scored. Is that worthy of being promoted?

The Gold Glove caliber defense and the near 30 steals help.

He's a one dimensional guy -- he hits righties.
    That's a pretty good one dimension to have, as I have noticed that a goodly number of major league pitchers throw with that particular hand...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    The Gold Glove caliber defense and the near 30 steals help.
    A cheap version of Willy T. I still say he has more to prove in AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    don't want it to be that, so i'm done with the thread.
    Why? You can see where the conversation was heading, so let's just let it be.. But I still appreciate your view on the subject, even though I don't agree with it.

I like the progress he has shown but I agree that he needs to stay at AAA until Sept at the earliest. I'd like to see him sustain some continued success. I feel the same way with homer and his new splitter as well, but... Sounds like the reds have other ideas.

As for cozart.. I don't get the idea of promoting him so fast... He already skipped a level..I would let him play out at AA.. Maybe a late season promotion, unless something drastic pushes up his timetable..

I'm usually aggressive with how I feel prospects should be promoted, but in these 3 cases in particular, I think its important they sustain their level of play over the course of the season @ theire respective levels.

In homer's case, let him dominate another month.. He's never done it @ the AAA level really... Not like he is currently.

Stubb's, we've been over. He's raw and TRF has outlined the other reasons..
    Cozart, already skipped a level.. Bat has always been suspect a little bit.. Let him hit all year.

Sorry to ramble.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003 View Post
    The difference, besides Stubbs' greater potential for the future, is that Stubbs takes walks - he gets on base. A cheap version of Willy T. would be someone who does not walk, has a low OBP and has trouble getting a good break on balls in the outfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003 View Post
    Couldn't be further from the truth. Stubbs has great strike zone judgment. His ability to get on base really hasn't slumped much. I think I differ from TRF in the fact that I don't have a problem "rushing" him to the bigs because I feel he can keep his OBP at a respectful level. He may never hit for the power that some had expected when he was at Texas and lower in the minors but he has the ability to turn a walk into a double or triple with his speed.

IMO AA ball is the real proving ground for most prospects. I would keep Cozart there because there really isn't a need to move him up to AAA ball right now.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I keep hearing the call for Stubbs. Dare I say I am with TRF that I leave him down for a while still? Not that I think he has a lot to prove down there, but why make the move when he isn't likely an upgrade to Chris Dickerson right now who is already on the roster?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I keep hearing the call for Stubbs. Dare I say I am with TRF that I leave him down for a while still? Not that I think he has a lot to prove down there, but why make the move when he isn't likely an upgrade to Chris Dickerson right now who is already on the roster?
    The point would be to platoon him with Dickerson. When you look at Dickerson's splits against lefties, they are no great shakes. This way, you can ease Stubbs in as well, only starting him against lefties.

I think out of all the guys I listed, Stubbs is the least urgent promotion. However if he is going to remain in Louisville, I'd like to at least see him get some reps in the leadoff position, which is his likely spot in the big league lineup.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The point would be to platoon him with Dickerson. When you look at Dickerson's splits against lefties, they are no great shakes. This way, you can ease Stubbs in as well, only starting him against lefties.

I think out of all the guys I listed, Stubbs is the least urgent promotion. However if he is going to remain in Louisville, I'd like to at least see him get some reps in the leadoff position, which is his likely spot in the big league lineup.
    There is no reason to call up one of your top hitting prospects to 'ease him in'. All that is likely to do is slow down the time in which he is ready to play full time, especially if he is starting 2 nights a week in which you happen to get a lefty on the mound.

Turn Off Ads?