Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Immediate Promotions

Re: Immediate Promotions

There is no question that Heisey should be at AAA, in my opinion. He has dominated the Southern League for half a season. He's 24.

The organization has been slow to promote this summer for some reason. It's an important cog in the development machine, let's hope they're minding it.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think the biggest thing is they dropped him in the order he was the lead off hitter the 1st couple of months, not to mention the whole teams but pucker up the last week trying to win the 1st half. From the numbers it looks like he is trying to hit more homers to impress.
    Last edited by Redmachine2003; 06-25-2009 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    There is no question that Heisey should be at AAA, in my opinion. He has dominated the Southern League for half a season.
    And the Southern League has been dominating him for a while now. He's .211 over his last 10 and I don't think it's a good idea to tell him he has to figure it out against AAA pitchers. Let him show he can make whatever adjustments he needs against AA pitching first.

And the Southern League has been dominating him for a while now. He's .211 over his last 10 and I don't think it's a good idea to tell him he has to figure it out against AAA pitchers. Let him show he can make whatever adjustments he needs against AA pitching first.
    He's played a lot more than 10 games in the league. You need to reward your players for outstanding performance over an extended period of time, not punish them for brief slumps in the context of generally great seasons. It's called development.

You have no idea if pitchers have made any kind of adjustment to Heisey.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I don't care in the least if pitchers have made an adjustment. Heisey needs to make an adjustment. What he's doing now is not working and getting right will be easier for him in AA than at Louisville. He needs to have confidence when he comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I am saying that those same kinds of issues in Stubbs never caused you to raise a flag of "concern". I find it silly. And I love your stuff, but that's a really odd thing to grab onto to say that Heisey, who is doing stuff at AA that Stubbs never came remotely close to, should hang at AA to "work on". That's just ridiculous.
    Stubbs never had his strikeout rate triple in a given month versus the previous two months. Thats the difference. If there is a weakness being exploited by the AA pitchers against Heisey this month that they weren't doing the first two months, should he not work on it there rather than be sent to AAA where it will take another two months for those pitchers to find the same weakness, meaning he doesn't get to work on it until next year? If Heisey were always a guy who struck out 20% of the time, then went ahead and struck out 25% of the time it would be a non issue, but when he went from a guy striking out 6.5% of the time in April and May to a guy striking out 23% of the time in June, its something worth talking about.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 06-26-2009 at 12:11 AM.

Right.

Or, small sample size lovin' to ignore the larger sample size goodness.

Or, the exact opposite of your arguments on behalf of Stubbs over the years.

Right.

Or, small sample size lovin' to ignore the larger sample size goodness.

Or, the exact opposite of your arguments on behalf of Stubbs over the years.
    Small sample sizes don't come into play for swinging and missing 3 times more than you did the previous two months. Sure, if it were 5 games and he had 6 strikeouts, it would be one thing.... but here were at on June 25th and its still going on for the entire month of June.

Again, you are missing the context. Stubbs always struck out 20% of the time. If guys found something to exploit on him, he either hid it very well by not varying in his K rate, or he adjusted to it quickly. Heisey on the flip side has always been a low K type of guy, incredibly low this year, then all of a sudden in June over 90 PA, his K rate TRIPLED. Something is going on. If its the pitchers finding a weakness, he should stay in AA until he can correct that weakness. If its something he is doing, perhaps a timing issue or a flaw in his swing he didn't have before for whatever reason that can be easily fixed... send him to AAA. But if its the pitchers exploiting something in his swing, he should stay at AA until he gets back to where he was before (at least to his pre 2009 April/May strikeout rate).

Stubbs his last 42 abs has struck out 16 time and has .167 avg
    Heisey his last 37 abs has struck out 6 times and has .214 avg.
    over the last 10 games both have struggled. But over the next 10 games we will see who makes the adjustment. Both are hitting in the .260s in June. Stubbs .262 and Heisey .268

I'm not entirely sure why Heisey hasn't been sent back to Billings just yet...

I'm not entirely sure why Heisey hasn't been sent back to Billings just yet...
    The guy clearly can't handle the Southern League...

Turn Off Ads?