Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds dangling Arroyo

Reds dangling Arroyo

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...slumps/?page=4

2. Bronson Arroyo, RHP, Reds: One of the hot rumors among the scouting community is that the Reds are dangling one of their veteran pitchers in an effort to get younger and reduce payroll. Arroyo, whose name has come up in the past, is earning $9.5 million this season as part of a two-year, $25 million deal. He will earn $11 million next season and has a $2 million buyout on an $11 million option in 2011. With starting pitching hard to find, the Reds could get a decent return.
    I certainly feel that its likely to happen but I dont see them getting much back especially if they dont eat half or more of that contract.

Phillies, Braves, and Dodgers could probably all be interested if I were to guess. Angels are probably another team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds dangling Arroyo

With Bailey's new splitter, Leake theoretically ready to start games in September (if he didn't have tendinitis and should be shut down for the rest of the year IMPO), I think this is a move we can actually sustain.

Harang, Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, Owings to finish this year out.

Volquez, Cueto, Leake, Bailey, Owings could be your 2010 starters.

IF we were able to actually spend that money on some offense, it could actually increase our team overall. Unlike last years' payroll dump of veterans that basically netted us nothing.

Definitely a good move monetarily from a purely stuffing the owners pockets standpoint.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Unlike last years' payroll dump of veterans that basically netted us nothing.

-BLEEDS
    Huh? Dallas Buck, Nick Masset, and Owings are all useful components.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Huh? Dallas Buck, Nick Masset, and Owings are all useful components.
    Meant from the offensive side - unless you count Owings I guess...

If we could trade Arroyo for Rios, that would be a good day; throw in a DL/Designated for Assignment of one Wily T, and it goes from good to great!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

I like the Phillies prospects the most. Give me Dominic Brown, Michael Taylor, or Lou Marson.

OF or 3B-man please!!

There's a lot of pitching-starved teams out there right now, we should be in a position to cash in on what is now a huge asset.

Arroyo could benefit from a change of scenery methinks, he is becoming very Kyle-Loshish with his consistency.
    9, 0, 5, 1, 6, 3

As much as it pains me to give away "average ML pitching" we are actually at a surplus at this point, and our offense is beyond pathetic.

Harang seems to have found his groove since last year, and the young guys seem to be developing well, Cueto for sure although Volquez concerns me a bit with the injury/dead arm/WBC crap.

I'd pull the trigger on a good deal for Arroyo if it includes some offense in return.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

If they make this trade without bringing back some form of offense than can help right now, I will be irate! I'm so sick of this team being more concerned about money than winning. I'm sick of trades that are made because of payroll instead of to make this team better. It's completely how they make their decisions not based on baseball. It's not like their payroll is through the roof to where they can't afford it. In fact, they should be able to pay for the bat they need, along with what they already have. They're at a point right now that they aren't even paying their best players, (Cueto, Volquez, Bruce, Votto) Which is the perfect time for a small market team to make their run if they're going to make one. These are the times it just makes you want to get mlb league pass and follow the Yankees, a team that actually tries.

With Bailey's new splitter, Leake theoretically ready to start games in September (if he didn't have tendinitis and should be shut down for the rest of the year IMPO), I think this is a move we can actually sustain.
    Bailey is making outs on pitches out of the zone that AAA hitters are offering at. Those same pitches will be taken by MLB hitters and he will walk 6-10 per game like always.

You want Leake starting in the majors by September? Are you nuts?

If they trade Arroyo it better not be as a salary dumb but to bring a big bat in to help this team

I'd rather give away Harang.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Bailey is making outs on pitches out of the zone that AAA hitters are offering at. Those same pitches will be taken by MLB hitters and he will walk 6-10 per game like always.
    Don't be so sure about that. It looks like a fastball - well, mostly because it IS - so they have to respect the 96 MPH heat. They won't be taken on 2 strike counts you can be sure of that.

You want Leake starting in the majors by September? Are you nuts?
    I didn't say I wanted him to, I said THEORETICALLY he could start in September, he's that good and he's got MLB quality stuff. Many other guys have done it, been drafted and started in September. Someone even won a World Series recently with one of these guys.

The word on Leake is he is probably a #3 Starter right now. With that, you could get rid of a #3/#4 starter due $11M next year, that's what I'm saying.

If he didn't have tendinitis, he could have started for us in September.

If they trade Arroyo it better not be as a salary dumb but to bring a big bat in to help this team
    We totally agree here.
    We dumped Dunn and to a lesser extent KGJ last year.

Masset is probably a good/even return for a 40 yo KGJ.
    Owings is nowhere near an even return for Dunn.

We lost a TON of offense, we need to replace it.
    This would be the ideal time to do it.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I don't think Arroyo is going anywhere until the Reds are completely certain of Volquez's health.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    If they make this trade without bringing back some form of offense than can help right now, I will be irate! I'm so sick of this team being more concerned about money than winning. I'm sick of trades that are made because of payroll instead of to make this team better. It's completely how they make their decisions not based on baseball. It's not like their payroll is through the roof to where they can't afford it. In fact, they should be able to pay for the bat they need, along with what they already have. They're at a point right now that they aren't even paying their best players, (Cueto, Volquez, Bruce, Votto) Which is the perfect time for a small market team to make their run if they're going to make one. These are the times it just makes you want to get mlb league pass and follow the Yankees, a team that actually tries.

Welcome to the reds.

Arroyo at this point is our best performing pitcher.

And yes you are absolutely right with the cueto, volquez, votto thing.

I dont agree with bruce however.

But im sure once cueto, votto, EV start demanding money they will be goners as well.

Bruce on the other hand. He will be a red for life. And probably never live up to expectations.

Old Red Guard Reject

Harang, Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, Owings to finish this year out.

Volquez, Cueto, Leake, Bailey, Owings could be your 2010 starters.

IF we were able to actually spend that money on some offense, it could actually increase our team overall. Unlike last years' payroll dump of veterans that basically netted us nothing.

Definitely a good move monetarily from a purely stuffing the owners pockets standpoint.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I am almost entirely on board with Bleeds on this one. Good post.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

I really hope they hang on to Arroyo.He and Harang are about as good as we can afford for veteran starter imo.I really think that the team should be able to make a trade for a good bat at 3rd or OF without giving up any of the important peaces of the big league team.I don't know this but I think they should have the money.They definitly have the prospects.

AAAA Bailey and Leake for starters next year? That's mighty wishful thinking and a BIG assumption. Neither have proved anything in the bigs yet (Leake understandably). Plus, we don't know about Volquez's health. I doubt they will be getting rid of Arroyo until a few of those questions have been answered.

Turn Off Ads?