Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, Cleveland: Suns trade Shaq to Cavs in pre-draft blockbuster

Hello, Cleveland: Suns trade Shaq to Cavs in pre-draft blockbuster

NEW YORK -- The Cleveland Cavaliers didn't wait until the NBA draft to make the first blockbuster deal of the 2009 offseason. An NBA source confirmed late Wednesday night that the Cavaliers have an agreement in principal to send a package that includes Sasha Pavlovic and Ben Wallace to Phoenix in exchange for center Shaquille O'Neal.

The deal was first reported by ESPN and Yahoo! Sports.

O'Neal has been on the Cavaliers' radar since February, when Cleveland nearly acquired the 15-time All-Star center for Pavlovic and Wally Szczerbiak. While Cleveland was reluctant to pull the trigger then, the Cavs' struggles in the Eastern Conference finals against Orlando -- specifically with Magic center Dwight Howard -- prompted Cleveland GM Danny Ferry to seek out a center who can defend Howard one-on-one.

He found an answer in the 37-year old O'Neal, who had a resurgent season with Phoenix last season, averaging 17.8 points and 8.4 rebounds in 75 games with the Suns, the most games he has played since the 1999-2000 season. The acquisition of O'Neal doesn't hurt the Cavs plan to pursue a top free agent in 2010 either: O'Neal's $20 million salary comes off the books after next season.

Neither Wallace or Pavlovic is likely to play for the cost-cutting Suns. Only $1.5 million of Pavlovic's 2009-2010 contract is guaranteed and the Suns will likely cut him to save $3.5 million. Wallace was contemplating retirement after the season and the deal to Phoenix -- a team with no chance to win the NBA championship next season -- may push him out the door. If the Suns can negotiate a fair buyout of his $14 million contract, Wallace will likely take it, saving Phoenix owner Robert Sarver several million dollars in the process.

Of greater concern is how the Shaq trade affects Phoenix's ability to extend the contract of Steve Nash. Nash can become a free agent after this season and has said he will wait and see what moves the Suns make before deciding whether to re-up with the franchise. Phoenix GM Steve Kerr met with Nash and his agent, Bill Duffy, in New York last week. Nash may choose to wait and see if Phoenix is able to land another complementary star via free agency or trade before he makes a decision on re-signing with the Suns.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...=si_topstories

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hello, Cleveland: Suns trade Shaq to Cavs in pre-draft blockbuster

Thisis was pretyh predictable imo and i I think it's grea.t..t for the Cavaliers I mean..

Worth The Wait

As a Cavs fan, this makes me extremely happy. Fills a glaring need....but more importantly, this REALLY puts the pressure on LBJ to sign an extension this summer. He's said all along that he will stay in Cleveland as long as they commit to building a winner. Still doesn't guarantee he'll do it, but it's clear the Cavs FO is doing their part.

I disagree. Getting the 38 year old center who's near the end of his career may be a good mover for this year (if he can replicate last season) but it sure doesn't help them in the long run (which would include any extension).

Shaq will be gone before any extension kicks in, so though it's a good move by the Cavs for next season, I'm not sure it really affects anything that would happen starting in the 2010-11 season when an extension would begin.

To get LeBron to sign an extension, I believe they still must convince him there's a good future in Cleveland and I'm not sure this is the move to do that (though I agree it can be a good deal in the short term)

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    As a Cavs fan, this makes me extremely happy. Fills a glaring need....but more importantly, this REALLY puts the pressure on LBJ to sign an extension this summer. He's said all along that he will stay in Cleveland as long as they commit to building a winner. Still doesn't guarantee he'll do it, but it's clear the Cavs FO is doing their part.

The move itself doesn't guarantee anything long term, but the money being spent on Shaq shows the Cleveland ownership will make the big deals necessary in order to contend for a title.

But if Lebron signs a long-term deal, he loses his leverage. Ownership will make this sort of deal if they know Lebron can leave after one more year, but if they lock him up for, say, 3 years, will they?

(I know that's a very cynical point of view, but if you're Lebron, I think you have to consider that viewpoint, unless you just totally love the city, in which case, you might as well sign long-term and see how things go.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    The move itself doesn't guarantee anything long term, but the money being spent on Shaq shows the Cleveland ownership will make the big deals necessary in order to contend for a title.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    If they had done this deal a few months ago, when it was first rumored, they might not have to worry about "contending" for a title...they'd be worrying about whether they ordered the right size rings...

IMO this doesn't do much either way. Shaq isn't much of a force anymore this late in his career. If the Cavs are smart they don't activate him until at least half way through the season. How effective can a 38 year old 300 lb big man be in a 7 game series?
    Last edited by bucksfan2; 06-25-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    IMO this doesn't do much either way. Shaq isn't much of a force anymore this late in his career. If the Cavs are smart they don't activate him until at least half way through the season. How effective can a 28 year old 300 lb big man be in a 7 game series?
    I'd guess a 28 year old 300 lb big man can do plenty.

This is a good move. They'll probably basically split the center minutes between Z and Shaq which is fine by both men I'm sure.

This is a situation where Shaq can be used very sparingly until the playoffs.

This is a great move. It is only for one year, so you're not hamstrung from pursuing the top FAs next season which has been the plan all along.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    How effective can a 28 year old 300 lb big man be in a 7 game series?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Is Shaq's contract up this year or next?

Either way I like the move. If his contract is up this year then I love the move.

Shaq has 1 year remaining on his deal.

Yep, this is the last year on his contract so the Cavs will have the flexibility to pursue someone else next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    If they had done this deal a few months ago, when it was first rumored, they might not have to worry about "contending" for a title...they'd be worrying about whether they ordered the right size rings...
    Maybe, but one thing to keep in mind is that playing with Shaq may take some time to get used to. It's just different than having Zydrunas sit out at the 3 point line. It'd be difficult to incorporate him seamlessly midway through the season.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'll say this much, it certainly makes me want to drive up to Cleveland and see a game enxt season.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?