Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zune through the washer and dryer...

Zune through the washer and dryer...

Anyone have any tips on how to repair it? This board has been really helpful in the past so I thought I'd give it a try again. Thanks.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Zune through the washer and dryer...

Yikes... I've repaired a lot of electronics, but as far as this goes you might just be better off with a new one. If it wasn't on during the washing, there is a chance that it could survive as long as you didn't try to turn it on while it was still wet, but the heat and tumbling from the dryer is also concerning. Any one of those issues could cause severe damage especially on such a delicate device. If you aren't afraid to open it up, the first thing I would do is look for any water or signs of it being shorted out anywhere. I've had success using rubbing alcohol to clear off any type of water spots that might cause shorting. The battery might also be shot.

Sorry to hear about that. Makes my stomach cringe just thinking about it. Hopefully you can figure out a way to get it going again.

Thanks, SeeinRed. I guess I'll give it a day or two to dry out naturally and then try taking it apart. I don't have a very good feeling about its future, though.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

You need to take the device apart and rinse it will distilled water to clean out the harmful mineral deposits from tap water if you can. As SeeinRed said, don't turn it on until it is dry because that will cause a short. Other than that just pray to the Zune gods that it isn't too damaged.
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

Thanks, acredsfan. I will try to get it apart. I googled it this morning and found instructions on how to take the back off. I'm prayin'...

Same thing happened to my cell phone (Sprint Treo) - I wrapped it in a towel and put it on a plate in the oven at around 115 degrees for about 20-30 min's. It worked about 10 hours later. So, see how it turns out tomorrow!

Votto = MVP

It may be too late for this, but in the past I've put my phone in a bag full of dry rice and it pulls the moisture out. It may be too late for that, but if nothing else works it's worth a shot. Best of luck to you.
    2009 Attendance Record: 7-2

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WILD THING View Post
    It may be too late for this, but in the past I've put my phone in a bag full of dry rice and it pulls the moisture out. It may be too late for that, but if nothing else works it's worth a shot. Best of luck to you.
    This may be your best shot to save it. I have a few friends who have tried the rice method with MP3 players and even phones and it's worked for all of them. Good luck!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    This may be your best shot to save it. I have a few friends who have tried the rice method with MP3 players and even phones and it's worked for all of them. Good luck!
    I would be wary of using anything that would run the chance of dust or other particles of entering the object or could expose the item to static especially since it contains a small hard drive to store songs. Some MP3 players use flash memory, but Zunes (except for the Zune flash), and most iPods contain spinning hard drives just like what your computer uses. Getting Dust in that would be fatal to the unit. It very likely that as long as the Zune had adequate padding in the dryer it will still function. The screen would be the most sensitive component. I doubt the heat was hot enough to degrade the soldering on the cirucit board, but it is possible. All in all I hope it still works, it's an expensive but fun piece of equipment.

Here looks like a good site for dissasembly: Here
    Last edited by acredsfan; 06-26-2009 at 01:01 AM.
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

I tried to get the darn thing apart, but I'm afraid I'm going to break something. The directions are pretty good, but I don't really have the exact tools. I'm going to have to force the plastic cover but it feels like it will surely break. When I'm certain there are no other options and don't care if it breaks, I will revisit taking it apart. Call me a coward...but I guess I am.

I tried the oven and that didn't work. Right now, I am going to try the rice. If that doesn't work, I will try to get it apart. I have little confidence in my mechanical abilities.
    Last edited by Spitball; 06-26-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by WILD THING View Post
    I've done this same thing with multiple cell phones.

I dropped my phone in the washer once while doing laundry. Grabbed it real quick took it apart, took it into the garage and turned on the air compressor and dried it up in a hurry. It was working 10-15 minutes later and worked for about 2 more years after that.

Okay, I tried the rice and it didn't work either. I think it is deader than a doorknob, so tomorrow I will summon the courage to rip into it.

I've washed cell phones, lighters, mp3 players, and USB Thumb Drives....

They've all made it out alive....
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Spitball - sorry about the Zune. If you need to replace it, Conns.com had some of the 30mb Zune's on a clearance for $60
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Turn Off Ads?