Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Volquez Worse than expected!

Re: Volquez Worse than expected!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Probably because we don't really give a hoot about the Braves' or Mets' or Dodgers' medical staffs since we're Reds fans.
    Give me a comparable example of diagnosising a hand that needed surgury as a blister or clearing a guy like Jr who could barely walk as a pinch hitter and I'll agree with you. I'm sure it's happened on othter teams, but not on most teams.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds' Volquez cleared to throw again
    But injured starter will have to start program from scratch

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Cincinnati -- Injured Reds pitcher Edinson Volquez got the good news he was seeking, even if it came tagged with a "but."

Volquez was cleared to resume throwing again, but he has to start his program over from square one.

"That's bad," said Volquez, who is on the disabled list with right elbow tendinitis. He was examined by team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek on Monday.

Volquez will long toss on Friday from a distance of 60 feet and his progress will be monitored even closer than before by Kremchek. His throwing program was close to having him back on a mound until it was halted last week when an MRI exam revealed inflammation in the muscle where the right forearm meets the elbow.

That inflammation appears to have completely subsided, which was a requirement before Volquez would be allowed to throw again.

"[Kremchek] checked my arm and he stretched my arm. He turned it that way and the other way," Volquez said. "He said I could throw. He said he's going to check my arm every time I throw. He'll be here to make sure everything is OK."

Already expected to be out through at least the All-Star break, the 25-year-old Volquez is 4-2 with a 4.35 ERA in nine starts. He's thrown in just one inning since May 16 when he went on the DL for the first time with back spasms. The tendinitis issue happened during his June 1 return.

"It's been hard to be at home watching the games," Volquez said. "You get mad. I'm screaming at the umpire on TV."
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Give me a comparable example of diagnosising a hand that needed surgury as a blister or clearing a guy like Jr who could barely walk as a pinch hitter and I'll agree with you. I'm sure it's happened on othter teams, but not on most teams.
    I thought it was a blister but that got infected. You seem set on this, how do you know it didn't start out as something fairly innocuous but it got infected and became much worse?

Again, I don't follow other teams as closely as I do the Reds so I - and others - don't give a hoot about other teams. Talk to Will Carroll. I'm sure he could help you out with that. You might actually learn something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I thought it was a blister but that got infected. You seem set on this, how do you know it didn't start out as something fairly innocuous but it got infected and became much worse?
    If it really was just a blister, obviously the Reds did not take good care of it.
    It's kind of amazing that an infected blister (if that's what it really was) got so bad that it required surgery. Why did they let it get to that point?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Again, I don't follow other teams as closely as I do the Reds so I - and others - don't give a hoot about other teams. Talk to Will Carroll. I'm sure he could help you out with that. You might actually learn something.
    Ok, but you made the claim that other teams are probably just as bad. I guess you can't back that up.

Ok, but you made the claim that other teams are probably just as bad. I guess you can't back that up.

Again, I'm not interested in other teams. But I would believe other teams aren't perfect in their diagnoses. You want to find out so bad, do your own legwork.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

A Volquez update from Fay's blog:

RHP Edinson Volquez threw from 60 feet off flat ground today, for about five minutes. It was the first time he had thrown in two weeks.
    "Good...no pain," Volquez said. "I was excited."
    Volquez has been on the DL for all but a one-inning outing since May 16. He had a back problem, followed by inflammation in his elbow.

Up next is some long-toss for a couple of days.
    "Hopefully I can get on the mound, in the bullpen next week," he said.

Volquez said he has no target date for his return. He will keep throwing for about a week and a half, he said, and then hopefully go to Triple-A for some rehab starts.

Volquez turns 26 today.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    A Volquez update from Fay's blog:
    Between that and this...

Per Olney:
    The Reds will wait it out and ramp up their pursuit of a bat if they're in the race later in the month.
    ...the season may rest more on Homer Bailey than anyone might have ever thought.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?