Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volquez Worse than expected!

Volquez Worse than expected!

Didn't see this anywhere, kind of bothersome!

DDN

Reds Notes
    Volquez injury worse than believed
    By Hal McCoy
    Staff Writer

Updated 1:32 AM Thursday, June 25, 2009
    TORONTO — Edinson Volquez, a 17-game winner for the Cincinnati Reds last year but only a four-game winner so far this season, won’t be seeking a fifth win until after the All-Star break.

He and the Reds received the disturbing news Wednesday that inflammation remains in his forearm and that his throwing program has been put on hold until further notice.

Volquez had planned to pitch off a mound this week, but a second MRI revealed the inflammation and medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek shut him down. Another examination is scheduled for Tuesday.

“The second MRI revealed there still is a significant amount of swelling,” said trainer Mark Mann. “The first MRI was not the clearest because of swelling, which is why we followed up with a second MRI before we’d let him advance to the mound.”

The inflammation is in the forearm muscle where it attaches to the muscle and while manager Dusty Baker said he was told there is some sort of partial tear, there is no ligament damage.

“When you are talking about a starting pitcher and the time he has missed off the mound (he last pitched June 1), then when you talk about side and bullpen sessions and a rehab assignment, just to build his pitch count, I’d say, yes, you are looking beyond the All-Star break for his return,” said Mann.

“Guess things were a little more serious than anticipated,” said Baker. “It is not serious enough to operate. It’s not in the ligament.”

Taveras, Rosales sit

Baker tinkered with his lineup for Wednesday’s game, benching center fielder Willy Taveras and third baseman Adam Rosales in favor of Chris Dickerson in center (and leading off) and Danny Richar at third base.

And he’ll tinker some more for tonight’s game — Paul Janish at shortstop and Jerry Hairston Jr. at third base.

“Rosey (Rosales) has been struggling (4-48, .083) and I’m getting a lefthanded bat in there (Richar),” said Baker. “I’ll probably play Janish tomorrow. If they’re here, they are going to play.”

Taveras, batting .104 in his last 26 games, is on a program of extra hitting, “To find his rhythm. We’re going to the cage every day until he gets it. Some of the pressures he puts on himself are unnecessary, but it is a reality,” said Baker.

A rotation opening

It is ironic that when Homer Bailey gets his second chance this season Saturday, he gets a second chance at the Cleveland Indians, too.

Bailey made one start for the Reds and it was May 23 at home against the Indians and it was disastrous — 4 1/3 innings, six earned runs, three hits, six walks. He didn’t get the loss, but the Reds did, 7-6.

Bailey, 8-5 with a 2.71 ERA at Class AAA Louisville, has won five of his last six starts and pitched scoreless outings in three of the last five, giving up only one run in his last start.

With the news of Volquez’s expected prolonged absence, the Saturday start won’t be a one-shot deal.

Baker and the Reds aren’t anointing Bailey yet, but it is his turn Saturday. And Baker acknowledged that, “Yeah, whoever starts Saturday could get more than one. But whoever it is needs to give us some quality.”

A chance meeting

With everything surrounding Joey Votto and his stress/depression over his father’s death, Baker had a surreal event for lunch Wednesday.

A friend took Baker to lunch and it became an unbelievable coincidence. Lunch was at a place owned by former NHL player Shayne Corson. What Baker didn’t know until he talked to Corson was that he suffered stress and depression after his father died young. Corson left his team and missed a playoff game.

“He had anxiety,” said Baker. “I had a nice talk with him. That’s way coincidental, just happened. He told me his dad passed away at 42 or 45. It was almost like the meeting was planned, not by me. But it was planned by somebody.”

Quote of the day

An unusual heat wave is enveloping Toronto and pitcher Arthur Rhodes told Brandon Phillips he almost walked to lunch, but it was too hot, to which Phillips said, “Good thing you didn’t. You would have come back looking like a melted Hershey’s Kiss.”
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-25-2009 at 10:41 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Volquez Worse than expected!

You can probably thank the WBC for this injury. Shut him down for the season. This season is about cooked anyway. No need to risk further injury for a lost cause season.

Hilarious quote from Phillips!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I agree on shutting him down for now but it's possible that Volquez could be back in Aug/Sept. I just don't want him rushed.

Great quote by Phillips. Kinda sounds like something I might say.

I think shutting him down for the season at this point may be jumping the gun. Let's get him reevaluated in a couple of weeks and see where he stands. My guess is he comes back in early-to-mid August.

Regardless, Bailey is now in the rotation to stay. If Arroyo is moved, you can replace him with either Maloney or Lehr until EV comes back. I'd prefer to see a little bit more of Maloney, but who knows? Either way, it's safe to say the hope of contending this year is fading fast.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    You can probably thank the WBC for this injury. Shut him down for the season. This season is about cooked anyway. No need to risk further injury for a lost cause season.

Hilarious quote from Phillips!
    Why does everyone insist on blaming the WBC for injuries? There is absolutely no proof to back up those assertions and quite frankly they are counterintuitive--pitching occurs in spring training too, you know. Injuries are just as likely in spring training as they are at the WBC. Not to mention pitch limits: 65 per game for the prelims, 95 for the last two rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Why does everyone insist on blaming the WBC for injuries? There is absolutely no proof to back up those assertions and quite frankly they are counterintuitive--pitching occurs in spring training too, you know. Injuries are just as likely in spring training as they are at the WBC. Not to mention pitch limits: 65 per game for the prelims, 95 for the last two rounds.
    It's not really proof, but I'm inclined to think that guys throw harder in the WBC than they would in spring training.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I bet Volquez gets surgury.. This is such typical Reds/Doc Hollywood protocol.

At first, it's day to day.. then it becomes "more serious than expected". Then an ill advised short burst of playing time, and then the player goes to the operating table.

Just a hunch, but I'm expecting more bad news.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I bet Volquez gets surgury.. This is such typical Reds/Doc Hollywood protocol.

At first, it's day to day.. then it becomes "more serious than expected". Then an ill advised short burst of playing time, and then the player goes to the operating table.

Just a hunch, but I'm expecting more bad news.
    That is the way of it with professional sports. You test, intitial diagnosis rest, see if it gets better, run more tests if not, getting more invasive each time. There is better diagnostic equipment than ever before, but it is still true that you don't really know what is going on internally until you open someone up, which is always the last resort, still. I don't see it as unique to "Reds/Doc Hollywood protocol."

Shame on any Reds fan who thinks this is 'worse than expected'. There is a significant issue with diagnosis or honesty within the organization. Neither of them are pleasing to Reds fans.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Shame on any Reds fan who thinks this is 'worse than expected'. There is a significant issue with diagnosis or honesty within the organization. Neither of them are pleasing to Reds fans.
    Speak for yourself, please.

I've never liked how Volquez twists his elbow as he rares back to throw a pitch. I think that's hard on the elbow. I see something similar in Homer Bailey

I wish I could remember who I saw on the MLB Channel talking about pitchers with elbow injuries and what can cause them to occur. Among the names, he mentioned that Volquez raises his elbow higher than his shoulder in his delivery and that usually leads to elbow problems. A few days later, Volquez had to leave the game.

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER View Post
    I wish I could remember who I saw on the MLB Channel talking about pitchers with elbow injuries and what can cause them to occur. Among the names, he mentioned that Volquez raises his elbow higher than his shoulder in his delivery and that usually leads to elbow problems. A few days later, Volquez had to leave the game.
    This is about Lotzkar, but you can use it for Volquez as well:

http://redlegsbaseball.blogspot.com/...otzkar-sp.html

PITCHING MECHANICS

In terms of mechanics, Lotzkar has two (potentially) disconcerting elements to his delivery. These two elements of his delivery may both prove to be problematic, but for different reasons.

1) In his delivery, after Lotzkar breaks his hands, he actually raises his "pitching arm side" (PAS) elbow above his shoulder before bringing the ball up into throwing position.

Raising the PAS elbow above the shoulder may increase the risk of a rotator cuff injury. As the shoulders rotate during the throwing motion, the PAS arm has to catch up to the rest of the body to keep the windup in sync, which can increase the strain on the pitching shoulder and rotator cuff.

The move is similar to that of Joel Zumaya, Anthony Reyes, and Aaron Heilman, each of whom raises his PAS elbow above shoulder level.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-25-2009 at 02:32 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Senor Votto

I'm guessing we'll see Bailey the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I'm guessing we'll see Bailey the rest of the year.
    I agree, but I don't think that would change even if Volquez came back. Reds have to get a good read on Bailey, and the only way they can do that is by watching him in the rotation for the rest of the season.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?