High five!

Re: Volquez Worse than expected!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You just noticed that?
    Shortly after I noticed gravity.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Probably because we don't really give a hoot about the Braves' or Mets' or Dodgers' medical staffs since we're Reds fans.
    It extends to all the sports as well... and if that's the real reason then I suggest that folks watch other baseball games that don't involve the Reds as well, you'll see all sorts of stuff that happens in Cincinnati without the A&E Window commercials too.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Every team in every sport has the same scenarios that could be seen as "bad" it's funny how only the Reds get noticed by some.
    I just think that sports injuries have a "mysterious" element to them. Thinking that there's always a 100% clear treatment plan is, to me, uncritical thinking.

I'm not a WBC fan, but Volquez threw all of three innings in it. The WBC isn't to blame here.

There's nothing sexy about the really effective treatments for sports injuries: lots of rest and time away from physical activity. Oh, and stretching.

The problem is these doctors are under pressure to get these players back on the field ASAP, when it would probably be best to just let the guy stay away from the game for a year or so.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I just think that sports injuries have a "mysterious" element to them. Thinking that there's always a 100% clear treatment plan is, to me, uncritical thinking.
    Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Every injury has a "mysterious" element to it. It is why medicine is still considered a science. It is evolving every day. If I go out and hurt my back playing golf the Dr. would want surgery as the last resort. He would use rest, as well as physical therapy, and stretching in order to avoid surgery.

There is a reason why teams and Dr.'s give time lines for players to return. Its why they say 4-6 weeks instead of saying he will be back in exactly 27 days. They don't know how each individuals body will heal and they often don't know the severity of the injury. It may frustrate fans but it is the nature of medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yep, I can't remember a time in recent history when a player got hurt and they just came out and said "We are going to rest him and see what happens, but it's probably going to result in surgery". It's always day to day, false hope that the player will be back in a couple days, then a couple weeks,etc. My guess is they don't want to risk hurting ticket sales.

It was pure malpractice allowing Jr to pinch hit when he could barely walk. Think of the potential damage that did to the franchise during the Jr era.. If they were conservative, Jr might've had a much more productive career.

Kearns' "blister" (which later needed surgery, and obviously was much more serious) is another example of the dishonesty that has been shown in the past.
    This term was thrown around in a recent thread about Walt Jocketty and how he likely made a mistake on the Taveras acquisition. Some people complained about the use of the term, but were told that it was simply a way of saying that Walt really made a blunder. I can buy that, but applying that word to Dr. Kremchek carries a great deal of gravitas, and you had better be prepared to back it up legally.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I think Kremchek is a very good surgeon. Whether his diagnostic skills are as good I don't know but once he gets 'em on the table they seem to recover well. He wasn't the one who did Jose Rijo's elbow. He rebuilt folks like Griffey (hamstring) and Dempster (shoulder).

Volquez update
    Posted by JohnFay at 6/30/2009 5:10 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Edinson Volquez has been cleared to begin throwing again. He'll start Friday by throwing from 60 feet off flat ground. He's basically starting over.

"That's bad," he said.

But his arm feels good. He was examined yesterday by Dr. Tim Kremchek.

"I don't feel any pain," he said. "He stretched it, twisted it. He's going to check me every time I throw."

Volquez was surprised when he was shut down again last week.

"Yeah, because I didn't feel any pain," he said. "But the MRI showed some inflammation."

Volquez has been on the disabled list for all but a one-inning outing since May 16. He had a back problem, followed by the inflammation in his elbow.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I'm not a WBC fan, but Volquez threw all of three innings in it. The WBC isn't to blame here.
    It's not just the workload with the WBC, it's the breaking up of the normal pattern of preparation. Normally pitchers will gradually build up how many innings they work, stretch their stamina, fight through their dead arm period.

The WBC alters all of that normal preparation, and replaces it with a series of 'do or die' games, with massive nationalistic pressure to succeed before the players have fully gotten ready.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    It's not just the workload with the WBC, it's the breaking up of the normal pattern of preparation. Normally pitchers will gradually build up how many innings they work, stretch their stamina, fight through their dead arm period.

The WBC alters all of that normal preparation, and replaces it with a series of 'do or die' games, with massive nationalistic pressure to succeed before the players have fully gotten ready.
    Yea, it definitely messed up Cueto too.

Can we blame the WBC on Taveras too? Hernandez? Votto?

Gimme a break.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Cueto's last two starts he's been gassed by the 5th. You have no idea and I have no idea whether he is dealing with a tired arm. And you have no idea and I have no idea whether he might be now feeling effects from what has already been a long season for him, on top of winter ball.

It is sloppy to dismiss the WBC as an unknown in terms of its effect on SPers, particularly given the evidence from 2006 edition.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post

Not really for the first two rounds though. Volquez would have likely been throwing 3 innings in Sarasota or 3 innings in Puerto Rico, it didn't really matter.

For teams that make the finals I'd buy this as an excuse more than for someone like Volquez or Cueto.

So, when someone gets hurt, you expect them to perform surgery right away, even if rest and rehab could solve the problem? Surgery is always a last resort. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but they always try to do whatever they can before they operate.

As for hurting ticket sales, I'm not sure that's possible.
    No, but I expect them to err on the side of caution. Trotting JR out there to pinch hit in order to sell a few extra tickets was malpractice.

On the flip side, saying that Kearns had a blister and treating it as such when there was clearly something worse is not smart.

What was the point of only resting Maj for 15 days in 2006 and then making him pitch in AAA? Maj was clearly having medical problems. They were severe enough that Wayne filed a grivence. It seems like common sense just to shut down Maj for the year at that point, but not to Doc Hollywood.

Doc Hollywood seems very poor at avoiding surgery. He also seems very poor at diagnoising problems and preventing them from getting worse. Sure, once it gets to the point where the player needs surgery, then he knows what to do.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?