Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thursday 6/25/09 Minor League Updates

Re: Thursday 6/25/09 Minor League Updates

Saw him at an All Star basketball tourney. He's, at best, 5'9". And that's being generous.

He's short.
    Interesting. Multiple sites put him at 6-6'1" and his scouting reports (Baseball America and MLB) do not mention him being short. The only player comp is to Tony Fernandez, who was a skinny six footer. I have to say I remain skeptical that a 5'9" listing is generous for this guy.

All Star basketball tourneys have a way of making normal sized guys look short.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Perhaps. And it may be the build making him look even smaller. But I've known a ton of kids who say they're 6'0" when they're much shorter. One of the former basketball coaches I know always lists his players as 6'0", even if they're 5'6". He said his coach did the same. In fact, I don't think I've ever known a basketball height to be correct. Almost always, it's at least three inches difference.

Perhaps. And it may be the build making him look even smaller. But I've known a ton of kids who say they're 6'0" when they're much shorter. One of the former basketball coaches I know always lists his players as 6'0", even if they're 5'6". He said his coach did the same. In fact, I don't think I've ever known a basketball height to be correct. Almost always, it's at least three inches difference.
    Yeah -- I have to agree overall. My guess is that Hamilton is around 5'10, 5'11" -- pretty regular-sized guy for baseball. He'll put on weight, too -- reports give him some power potential, and I like what I've seen of his swing. I think the kid projects as more than a little walkworker at the top of the order.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I think the kid projects as more than a little walkworker at the top of the order.
    Protypical SS-#2 hitter, although hopefully Dusty's not still filling out lineups by the time he gets to the show.
    Go BLUE!!!

Joe Morgan was in the 5-7/5-8 range and he had seasons of 26 & 27 HRs back in the pre-juice days when 26 or 27 HRs actually meant something. If a guy has enough bat=speed, a solid eye and a decent head on his shoulder, a guy that size can succeed.

It can actually be a bit of a benefit if he's surrounded by big guys. Pitchers can try to get too fine trying to adapt to the smaller strike zone. If Hamilton can add 10-15lbs of good weight over the next 3-4 years he should be OK. Maturity should take care of a lot of that. Not sure if he's still planning on playing any football still, but Miss St. will take care of the rest if he does.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 06-26-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Turn Off Ads?