Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe its time to change the Manager!! Let Rick Sweet manage the Young guys!!

Maybe its time to change the Manager!! Let Rick Sweet manage the Young guys!!

Heck after rolling my eyes seeing Taveras AGAIN leading off to make 4 outs!! AND seeing Hanaigan who is hitting .300 sitting the bench again, (he could DH and Gomes in LF!!), I think its time for a manager change.. heck they wont fire the dang hitting coach. and with how young players seem to respond to the Bats manager in Louisville, Why not give him a shot???? he might be better suited for this team as Dusty could care less how many outs a VET makes (zero walks in a month for a leadoff hitter too Taveras). I have lost faith in dusty.. He will keep running the same out maker at the top of the order and by July 31st, Walt can say "well we wanted to be buyers, but the club isnt doing well, so now we are sellers". maybe Fans by 2012 we will be ready.. blah blah blah"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Maybe its time to change the Manager!! Let Rick Sweet manage the Young guys!!

Dave Miley, part deux? No thanks.

Re: Maybe its time to change the Manager!! Let Rick Sweet manage the Young guys!!

Agree

5 managers in the last 8 years... maybe it's the players?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Dusty gets his millions from the Reds whether he's sitting on the bench managing games or sitting at the desk in ESPN's studio discussing them on BBTN. Thanks to those millions, the $$$ paid to his replacement won't be comparable until 2011, so I'd rather see him on the bench than a replacement who's paid and worth a salary in the low six-figures.
    /r/reds

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    IMO, combination between lack of talent, and GMs that couldn't acquire better talent.

Retired

I don't like Dusty, but it's not his fault Jocketty failed to trade for a bat in the offseason. Everyone knew this team was going to have trouble scoring runs, and the front office did nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    Heck after rolling my eyes seeing Taveras AGAIN leading off to make 4 outs!! AND seeing Hanaigan who is hitting .300 sitting the bench again, (he could DH and Gomes in LF!!), I think its time for a manager change.. heck they wont fire the dang hitting coach. and with how young players seem to respond to the Bats manager in Louisville, Why not give him a shot???? he might be better suited for this team as Dusty could care less how many outs a VET makes (zero walks in a month for a leadoff hitter too Taveras). I have lost faith in dusty.. He will keep running the same out maker at the top of the order and by July 31st, Walt can say "well we wanted to be buyers, but the club isnt doing well, so now we are sellers". maybe Fans by 2012 we will be ready.. blah blah blah"
    Well he only had half as many outs as you predicted tonight and a very nice squeeze play, a few good catches. Willy lives another day. And Joey Votto back in there, should be making everyone feel better. I'm liking Dusty, frankly, not a popular position around here. He's not perfect, but I like him anyway.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Well he only had half as many outs as you predicted tonight and a very nice squeeze play, a few good catches. Willy lives another day. And Joey Votto back in there, should be making everyone feel better. I'm liking Dusty, frankly, not a popular position around here. He's not perfect, but I like him anyway.
    Sometimes I scream at the at the TV "What the heck you thinking Dusty Baker!"

But, overall I think he has handled everything great here in Cincinnati other then a few times here and there but nothing major.

BTW - Great idea for Hannigan to be in there batting lead off... Willy T was brought here to do something and we'll he is in a slump...

If you want him on the bench, you should add Jay Bruce there also.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    Taveras was finally out of the lineup and then put back in and he produced for once. Imo, Dusty gets a pass for now on Taveras (keeping him in the lineup for so long is another story). I'd love to see Hanigan keep seeing abs but Hernandez catches Cueto and Gomes murders lefties.
    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Dave Miley, part deux? No thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Agree
    Miley may not have been the greatest either but I would've kept him for, at least, a little longer. He was the Reds manager for only one full season and parts of two others. Check to see how many managers, general managers, and field directors this organization has had since the BRM days in the 70's. I'd kinda like a little stability for a change. To me this thread prompts the argument 'how much does the manager really matter'.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Ditto, granted if you run through that many managers in 8 years (nevermind the past 30) you can't really say they've had a long leash. Imo, the job of GM is more important cuz he gives the manager the players to work with.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I don't like Dusty, but it's not his fault Jocketty failed to trade for a bat in the offseason. Everyone knew this team was going to have trouble scoring runs, and the front office did nothing.
    Well that depends if you are of the belief that Dusty had to do with Taveras coming in or not, taking up some cash and a roster space.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Miley may not have been the greatest either but I would've kept him for, at least, a little longer. He was the Reds manager for only one full season and parts of two others. Check to see how many managers, general managers, and field directors this organization has had since the BRM days in the 70's. I'd kinda like a little stability for a change. To me this thread prompts the argument 'how much does the manager really matter'.
    Ditto, granted if you run through that many managers in 8 years (nevermind the past 30) you can't really say they've had a long leash. Imo, the job of GM is more important cuz he gives the manager the players to work with.
    Miley should have never gotten the job in the first place, which is why he got fired. I think there is a short list of career minor league managers becoming winning major league managers. Of course, that is assuming that who the manager is has much to do with winning, but that's another debate.

Miley should have never gotten the job in the first place, which is why he got fired. I think there is a short list of career minor league managers becoming winning major league managers. Of course, that is assuming that who the manager is has much to do with winning, but that's another debate.
    Miley had his legs cut out from underneath him by the front office and then he lost the clubhouse. Nobody could have succeeded under those conditions.

The problem with stating that "only major league managers" can win is that those major league managers have to start out someplace.

The reds need stability in the front office and in the manager's chair far more than they need a solution of the day. Let Walt and Dusty build. Considering what Dusty has in the clubhouse, I think he's a miracle worker to have this team in striking distance of the division leaders.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

The sad thing is that we will never know if Miley was a good major league manager. He was completely undercut by O'Brien, who forced him to play D'Angelo Jiminez, and run Milton and Ortiz out there every fifth day, no matter how hard they were getting hit, just to name a few things. He had no real say over the day to day dealings of the club, which made him ineffectual in the clubhouse. Nothing worse than a manager whose players know that he doesn't call the shots.

Miley finally admitted to Hal McCoy this past year, that if he could have done anything different, he would have been his own manager, and not listened to the front office.

I know it doesn't prove anything, but in Miley's only full season, he managed a team that allowed 907 runs and only scored 750 to a 76-86 record. Not great, but that is 9 games better than the Pythag for those RS/RA predicts. I would have loved to see what he could do with some talent and the chance to manage without front office pressure.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I don't like Dusty but what quality replacement would want to come here when it would appear the owner has a itchy trigger finger.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?