Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Jackson R.I.P.

Re: Michael Jackson R.I.P.

One of the greatest falls from grace that I can recall. When he was in his heyday, nobody could rival that man in terms of stardom, except for maybe, Michael Jordan. It's really sad to see the way his life ended up. RIP

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Won't miss the man.

Will definitely miss the music.
    This is how I feel too.

For a Level Playing Field

Sad. Not hard to believe, but does not seem real. I hope he finds peace that he did not seem to have for many years. A true legend. RIP, Michael.

RIP, Michael. I hope people remember the music and not the sideshow.

This is so...weird. The reactions here may reflect a real generation gap. It's funny, I'm sitting here watching Diane Sawyer interview Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley at the height of their craziness, and it's like I barely remember this. All I remembered when I heard of his death was Billie Jean and Thriller and and The Way You Make Me Feel and The Man in the Mirror. Michael Jackson wasn't my guy, I wasn't crazy in love with him or anything. But when I was a kid, he was famous in a way that I don't know anyone will be again. Everyone is famous on the internet now. Michael Jackson was famous everywhere in the world. There wasn't anybody who just happened not to know Billie Jean or something. When my baby cousin started walking backwards for no apparent reason in the early 90s, we dubbed it her moonwalk, and it's not like anybody needed clarification about what this was.

Every radio station was playing his songs today when I was driving home, and there's not a song I didn't know. And I wasn't even a "fan", so to speak. How often does that happen? The last song I heard before I came in the house was Who's Lovin' You, not one of his most famous, and here was this little kid singing, and holy crap was he talented. He was famous his whole life. But he was also GOOD his whole life. As much of a circus as his life may have been at times, I never imagined he would become something as crazy as dead. So weird.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Votto = MVP

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    RIP, Michael. I hope people remember the music and not the sideshow.
    +1. Being 23, I wasn't really around for or aware of the prime of MJ's music. But growing up and in my late teens-early 20's we've always listened to his hits and enjoyed some of the recent artists that have remade his hits. RIP MJ.
    2009 Attendance Record: 7-2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSqo17o2a1w

I always liked him better as a singer when he was a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9wYzvIFje4

Although I think Billy Gilman does a better version of this song.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

What a sad day and a sad week for the entertainment industry. Ed McMahan, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson all gone within four days of each other. Bad things really do happenin threes.

I'm not a fan of the person MJ became in recent years but I'll never forget his music. This is one of my favorite songs and it got me a little teary tonight. RIP Michael

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBos1XjcDg0
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Worth The Wait

I would say most true music fans don't really enjoy "pop" music-- which is why MJ was so great-- because I have never met ANYONE who didn't like his stuff-- he transcended genres and was truly the King of Pop. Like many ultra-famous icon-types, he was incredibly strange, possibly crazy, and certainly troubled--- what he did to his body and his relationship with children was odd at best, and criminal at worst....

But as a performer, he was unmatched. The most natural child singer I've ever seen/heard bar none.

Weird that he is gone.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Those of you who had Fawcett and Jackson in your death pool daily double can head to the pay window and then promptly retire.

Like vaticanplum, I was never really a Michael guy, but I'm glad to have grown up when he was recognized more for his talent than for the sideshow. Off the Wall and especially Thriller were played to death when I was growing up, but I probably enjoy them now more than ever. Despite 26-30 years of improvements in technology, they'd be considered top notch even if they came out today.
    Stick to your guns.

Say what you want about him, Thriller was arguably the best pop album of the 1980s, if not all time, and it helped change the genre.
    R.I.P.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Despite all his quirks, that was one HELL of a talented man. This news really made me go back and remember how much influence he had on me and my friends growing up. I can still remember watching the Jackson 5 variety show and the cartoon on saturday mornings. I got disconnected with him during the disco phase and then again after Bad, but he'll always remind me of my youth.

RIP Michael.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-26-2009 at 12:40 AM.

He was my roll model.

Before he turned weird about 15 or so years ago he was one of the best entertainers and singers in the Rock/Pop era. I had a couple of his albums from his early days of being solo to the Thriller album. They were all very good. If you had a Mt. Rushmore of Rock/Pop greats he would have to be there along with Elvis and The Beatles.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?