Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Food Thread

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: The Food Thread

I've grown a fondness for Lebanese food. There's a shwawarma(kinda like gyros) place near my house I go to weekly now.

But on the spectrum of foods for me, nothing can beat a good painstakingly made plain old sandwich.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Went to Five Guys Burgers & Fries near UC last week, good place for a burger.

Salmon on the grill last night. Brush it with a mixture of olive oil, whatever herbs are in the garden (basil, parsley, a a smidge of rosemary) and garlic. Put it in a basket and grill 12-14 minutes.

Steamed some little red potatoes and green beans we got from Findlay Market, some greens from the garden with vinagarette, sliced up some sunflower seed bread, poured some sun tea I made earlier, and ate al fresco on the patio.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

GAC - next time you fire up the grill, i suggest corn on the cob...with a kick.

mix up some olive oil, kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper, and some cayenne pepper. brush generously on the kernels. throw corn on the grill, turning every couple of minutes until kernels start to carmelize. in the 400-425 range, this should take 10-12 minutes.

it's goooooooood.

Just stopped at the farmer's merket and bought some corn. That sounds tasty 15 - thanks!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Anyone have some good food recommendations for a bachelor? I try to eat healthy and love vegetables ... chicken is great as well. I can follow directions but operating the microwave is where I really shine.

A dish/meal/food that lends itself to leftovers is a plus.

WMR, I'm a fan of this recipe (if you like broccoli). If you read the comments they have some great suggestions on what you can add to the sauce to make it more flavorful and I'm sure you could toss it with some grilled chicken. I thought it was great and it was really easy to make...

Love broccoli, will definitely check that out. Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Anyone have some good food recommendations for a bachelor? I try to eat healthy and love vegetables ... chicken is great as well. I can follow directions but operating the microwave is where I really shine.

I recommend grilling up some chicken/steak/vegetables in quantity at beginning of week and using for Quesadillas, sandwiches, salads, etc...
    School's out. What did you expect?

Last weekend, my wife and I dined at a five star restaurant, Lautrech, in the Nemocolin resort in Pennsylvania. It was very good. They only have tasting menus (5 course, 9 course or 16 course). It's sort of like being a judge on Iron Chef. I highly recommend a visit there if you are in the area and have cash to burn.

I'd love to hear other dining experiences from other 'zoners (and yes, I secretly checking my blackberry for the Reds score on Saturday night).

We are grilling corn on the cob tonight. Any suggestions?

edit: woops, I just noticed the suggestion above. Any others?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

This is one of my favorite blogs for recipes: http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/ The recipes are fairly easy to make, they're healthy, and you can make them on the cheap. She has a blog entry somewhere on the site where she stretches a roasted chicken over an entire week. I've seen this done on other sites as well.
    Last edited by wolfboy; 07-06-2009 at 10:44 AM.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Thoughts on what potatoes make the best mashed potatoes?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Thoughts on what potatoes make the best mashed potatoes?
    A potato paired with lots of butter.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

16. Likes:

CoachBombay (11-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    A potato paired with lots of butter.
    Do you prefer whipped or mashed? Skins or no skins? Should silly things like garlic, cheese, etc be introduced to the party?

18. Likes:

CoachBombay (11-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?