Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailey to Start for Reds on Saturday

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Bailey to Start for Reds on Saturday

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

06/25/09 7:00 PM ET

TORONTO -- The Reds made it official on Thursday that Saturday's starter vs. the Indians will be Homer Bailey, who will be recalled again from Triple-A Louisville.

Based on the timing and his recent performances, it really couldn't have been anyone else.

Not only was Bailey's next turn for Louisville to be Saturday, he's been its hottest starter. The 23-year-old is 4-0 with a 0.47 ERA in his last five starts, with three of them lasting at least eight innings.

Over his last 38 1/3 innings, Bailey has allowed just one run with seven walks and 38 strikeouts.

In 14 starts overall for Louisville, Bailey is 8-5 with a 2.71 ERA. The right-hander struggled during his previous one-start callup on May 23, also vs. the Indians, when he gave up six earned runs on three hits with a career-high six walks over 4 1/3 innings in a 7-6 loss.

Bailey is taking the spot that belongs to Edinson Volquez, who has been on the disabled list since June 2 with right elbow tendinitis. Left-hander Matt Maloney most recently occupied the spot but was 0-2 with a 6.11 ERA in three starts for the Reds. Maloney was sent back to Louisville last Saturday when the Reds didn't need a fifth starter.

At one time the brightest of Reds prospects, Bailey has yet to find any traction in the Majors. Over his five previous callups, he is 4-8 with a 7.01 ERA in 18 starts for Cincinnati.

With Volquez expected to be out through the All-Star break, this could be a great chance for Bailey to establish himself.

A corresponding move to make room for Bailey on the 25-man roster will be announced before Saturday's game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bailey to Start for Reds on Saturday

Say good-by to Danny Richar.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

A quality start. That's all I want to see. Hopefully he ends up with quality starts more often than not the next month.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Say good-by to Danny Richar.
    I would think that Richar stays until EE comes back. I would expect a pitcher to be sent out.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I would think that Richar stays until EE comes back. I would expect a pitcher to be sent out.
    Probably Carlos Fisher, right?

Why am I thinking I'm gonna see the same ole' Homer?
    5 innings, 4 ER, 3 Walks, 3 K's, 100 pitches.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER View Post
    Why even think negative like that? I'm thinking 4 K's at least.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

That is up to him. Will he pitch the way he pitched in AAA and trust his stuff, or will he talk himself into needing to do something different to get major league hitters out?

At Louisville this year, he has won five of his last six starts with three games in which he gave up no runs and one in which he gave up only one.

Has he improved?

Bailey faced the Columbus Clippers on June 12. Using his newly acquired split-finger fastball he pitched 8 2/3 innings, giving up six hits and one run while walking two and striking out nine.

Clippers pitching coach Scott Radinsky told Columbus Dispatch writer Jim Massie that the split-finger “was dropping like a Kamikaze on a battle ship” and he had never seen him better.

Reports said Homer was throwing 94 in the first inning, 95 to 96 in the middle innings and 97 in the ninth. And the baseball doesn’t move any quicker in Columbus than it should in Cleveland.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...t_already.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Richar could stick around even after Encarnacion comes back. The Reds may decide to send Rosales down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    Probably Carlos Fisher, right?
    I think it will be one of the three young righties--Burton, Fisher, or Roenicke. My guess is that it will be Fisher.

I'm hoping he pitches well, but I'm expecting about what you predicted. (I hope we're both wrong about that.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I think it will be one of the three young righties--Burton, Fisher, or Roenicke. My guess is that it will be Fisher.
    With the shape the rotation is in we may just need those relievers more than Richar or Rosales.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

13 pitchers are too many, though. Seven relief pitchers are more than enough.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Off day Monday too. Built in rest day for the 'pen, if things go really bad.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    13 pitchers are too many, though. Seven relief pitchers are more than enough.
    I'm okay with having the extra pitcher just in case, since playing in the AL park means we won't need the extra pinch-hitter. We can always shuffle back to 12 pitchers before Tuesday.
    Not all who wander are lost

I am looking for great things out of Bailey. Look at what Sowers did last night against us. This kid is only 22 years old. Did I say this kid? He just needs to be thrown into the rotation like they did with Cueto last year. Let him take his bumps. He needs to know that you are up here for awhile. One start is not going to determine what happens. He needs to be allowed the opportunity to adjust and learn how to come back from a bad outing or a good outing. Time is what Bailey needs at this level.

He can pitch, he has to be given time to adjust and then I feel we should look out.

Homer go out and pitch a gem tonight. It can be no worse than the top two guys last outing of Arroyo and Harang!
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Turn Off Ads?