Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Storm last night, damage?

Retired

Storm last night, damage?

Anyone else get damage? I live in Bridgetown, there is pretty heavy tree damage in my neighborhood. My entire backyard is covered in branches, and shingles off my neighbors roofs. Looks like I'll be spending my day with a chainsaw. Power was out from 2am until about 8 this morning, so was cable and internet.

My neighbor had the basketball hoop ripped off thier house, and it ended up 4 houses away. Their patio door was also shattered by debris. The weather guessers said last night the risk of severe weather overnight was "minimal". They aced another one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Storm last night, damage?

I have a loose piece of siding on my house. It would be an easy fix if I had a ladder to reach it.

Garbage cans and other such debris were all over the place.

There were a couple small limbs down on my street, but while on the bus to come to work, we passed by a house with a HUGE tree that had been uprooted. It was leaning on power lines and was up against the house. It looked like it was just leaning against the house and had not crashed into it, but we couldn't really tell. The firemen and police had just arrived when we passed it. My best wishes to those who live there.

My basement has water in it because of the power outage. Luckily I haven't finished it yet.

It got pretty nasty last night here in Southern Indiana.

We didn't have much damage from what I can tell (haven't left the house yet today however). We did, however, get our share of rain, wind, thunder and lightening last night. That was a heck of a storm. I thought my poor dogs heart was going to explode.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 06-26-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    My basement has water in it because of the power outage. Luckily I haven't finished it yet.

It got pretty nasty last night here in Southern Indiana.
    Bridgetown is about 15 minutes from the boarder with Dearborn county, we got the same stuff you guys did. For a few minutes there, the wind was stong enough it created the train-like sound from a tornado.

I live in Spring Grove Village (fka Winton Place) and we had lots of branches down, some larger ones, including more Bradford Pears than you can shake a stick at. I told the city guy they should take them all down and replace them. They just keep breaking apart.

Our power is still out (as of a 1/2 an hour ago), so I'm guessing I'll be losing everything in our refrigerator and freezer. And my wife just went shopping at Trader Joes last night.

My office is three blocks away and I've had power all day.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

That storm was awful last night. I felt like it was inside my bedroom with me at times. I'm fortunate that it woke me up though because we lost power overnight and I would have missed work if I hadn't woken up to set my cell phone as an alarm clock. It took me forever to get back to sleep and when my alarm went off, we still didn't have power. I have no clue if it's back on or not yet but it was still out when I left for work around 8 AM. I hope it came back on at some point this morning/early afternoon because the A/C doesn't get up to our third floor very well and it gets way too warm up there when we can't have fans on constantly. The only damage outside was a few tree limbs down and some traffic lights were out on my way to work (mostly in Sharonville which is where I work...the lights around me were all working fine). That was one heck of a storm last night.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

On the brink of disaster

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I live in Spring Grove Village (fka Winton Place) and we had lots of branches down, some larger ones, including more Bradford Pears than you can shake a stick at. I told the city guy they should take them all down and replace them. They just keep breaking apart.

Our power is still out (as of a 1/2 an hour ago), so I'm guessing I'll be losing everything in our refrigerator and freezer. And my wife just went shopping at Trader Joes last night.

My office is three blocks away and I've had power all day.
    Bradford Pears are terrible trees when it comes to breaking. They are very weak and often break within 5-10 years of planting them due to weather issues. People just love them for their flowering in the spring, but the better choice for anybody wanting one is the Cleveland Pear, which also flowers and looks a lot like a Bradford Pear, but is more resilient.

I hope your power comes back on soon, it sucks when it is so warm outside.

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    Bradford Pears are terrible trees when it comes to breaking. They are very weak and often break within 5-10 years of planting them due to weather issues. People just love them for their flowering in the spring, but the better choice for anybody wanting one is the Cleveland Pear, which also flowers and looks a lot like a Bradford Pear, but is more resilient.

I hope your power comes back on soon, it sucks when it is so warm outside.
    We've lost two Bradford Pear trees to storms over the last 5 years - losing the last one in last falls wind storm. The neighbor's trampoline becoming airborne and taking it out will do it.

Unfortunately they've put up their third trampoline ... in the same spot as the other two. We've yet to replace the tree.

I live in Springdale and couldn't believe the noise and light show. I haven't seen lightning like that in my entire life. Our bedroom is on the third floor of our townhouse and I could tell last night.

One guy in Hebron had water pouring out his living room window. aka flooding the house 4 feet deep he said.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

No electric for almost 24 hours in Hamiltucky.

Watched an interesting documentary on the crumbling infrastructure in the U.S. earlier. According to them, power outages will get worse.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post

Watched an interesting documentary on the crumbling infrastructure in the U.S. earlier. According to them, power outages will get worse.
    I watched that too.

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post

Which is why, when I rebuilt my home a couple years back, I had a whole house Generac generator installed. It's the cat's meow.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?