Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds trade Norris Hopper for Corky Miller

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Reds trade Norris Hopper for Corky Miller

From a tweet from C Trent. Miller will report to AAA. Does that clear the way for Heisey in the AAA outfield?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds trade Norris Hopper for Corky Miller

Does this mean Hopper is with the White Sox or their AAA team?

I would like to see him in the bigs, he seemed like a quality guy, and would make a good 5th outfielder for someone

I guess this fills the spot in AAA vacated by Castillo's injury?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I'm just glad corky is back..
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Im guessing Heisey will be moving up. Maybe Frazier? AAA will need a 3rd baseman after Edwin leaves unless they send down Rosales.

As for Corky Miller how the heck did the Reds have to actually trade for him? I thought that guy got cut when the sox traded for Castro.

You're not serious right? Corky is "AWFUL"! Might as well have traded Hopper for a bag of bats and balls. The guy(Miller)has never hit in the majors or in the minors. If Heisy or Frazier isnt called up this is a worthless move. Good for Hopper I guess, but bad for the Reds. What are the odds of Dwayne Wise being sent down and Hopper getting called up to the White Sox, I'd say very good.

Wise is hitting 190 in 58 ab's, While Hopper was hitting 280 in 214 ab's with Louisville.

Oh well,

I wasn't a big fan of Norris Hopper the player but he seems like a great guy. I wish him the best.

Maybe this is the buying Walt was hinting at!

thorn

Quote Originally Posted by Jones1 View Post
    You're not serious right? Corky is "AWFUL"! Might as well have traded Hopper for a bag of bats and balls. The guy(Miller)has never hit in the majors or in the minors. If Heisy or Frazier isnt called up this is a worthless move. Good for Hopper I guess, but bad for the Reds. What are the odds of Dwayne Wise being sent down and Hopper getting called up to the White Sox, I'd say very good.

Wise is hitting 190 in 58 ab's, While Hopper was hitting 280 in 214 ab's with Louisville.

Oh well,
    I don't see how you can classify this as "Bad" for the Reds. It's strictly a move to help the Bats, and Hopper was so far down the depth chart for OF's, he most likely would have never found a spot with the Reds, bench or otherwise. Was Hopper on the 40 man?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Im guessing Heisey will be moving up. Maybe Frazier?
    Agreed. Heisey has a good chance at coming up soon. Frazier-- I doubt. Roslaes should be coming back to AAA and, though all of us want Frazier to move up and play the hot corner, Cincinnati hasn't shown they are looking to do that.

In fact, you could argue Frazier's development is among the most questionable in recent Red minor league history. They seem to have absolutely no plan when it comes to him specifically.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

From Fay's blog:
    Reds acquired from the White Sox minor league C Corky Miller in exchange for minor league OF NorrisHopper...Miller this season appeared in 14g for the White Sox and 4g for Class AAA Charlotte...he will report to ClassAAA Louisville...Hopper has spent the entire season with Louisville.with Louisville.
    Miller, 33, spent four seasons with the Reds (01-04). He's a career .179 hitter in 374 major-league at-bats.
    From C-trent:
    Reds trade OF Norris Hopper to the White Sox for catcher Corky Miller, a former Red. Miller will report to Louisville.

The Reds needed a catcher in AAA, and Miller is a veteran that makes some sense. I still think it’s a little much for Miller.

The White Sox need outfield help, and I hope Hopper gets a chance there. I’d rather have him than Willy Taveras, but, well, you know. I’d rather have Drew Stubbs up here, than maybe either.

I don’t think the Reds have ever been high on Hopper, seeing him as more of an reserve outfielder than anything. That said, he’s one of the few guys you feel good about getting a hit against a lefty (against a left-handed pitcher, he’ll always do that push bunt and it works more often than not, even when the other team knows it’s coming).

Good luck to Norris, a quality guy, who should get a chance to play there.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-26-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    I don't see how you can classify this as "Bad" for the Reds. It's strictly a move to help the Bats, and Hopper was so far down the depth chart for OF's, he most likely would have never found a spot with the Reds, bench or otherwise. Was Hopper on the 40 man?
    Hopper wasnt on the 40 man.

If anything this also tells us how unvaluable Darnell Mcdonald is across the league. He couldnt even be traded for Corky Miller.

I figured we were in the market for a guy like Corky who at least has a little major league experience. If one of Ramon/Ryan gets hurt then Tatum would have been next in line, and he doesn't seem to be ready. I'm a bit surprised it was Hopper who went, but I suppose even Kenny Williams is smart enough not to take on McD. Good luck Norris you'll probably be starting in Chicago soon. Now if that will clear the way for Heisey (i'm sure it does) it's all good.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Hopper wasnt on the 40 man.

If anything this also tells us how unvaluable Darnell Mcdonald is across the league. He couldnt even be traded for Corky Miller.
    Of it tells us that Dusty and Walt like McDonald more than Hopper....

Keep moving, nothing to see here...
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Of it tells us that Dusty and Walt like McDonald more than Hopper....
    both are probably true

Turn Off Ads?