Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds trade Norris Hopper for Corky Miller

Re: Reds trade Norris Hopper for Corky Miller

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    I don't see how you can classify this as "Bad" for the Reds. It's strictly a move to help the Bats, and Hopper was so far down the depth chart for OF's, he most likely would have never found a spot with the Reds, bench or otherwise. Was Hopper on the 40 man?
    Im not saying it was a move that wasn't needed to be made If Heisey or Frazier get moved up, but they could have done much better. They bassically gave away a guy who will get playing time for the White Sox for a guy that will never sniff the Reds starting lineup and beyond that wont do anything to help the Bats team win whatsoever. Not sure its good to trade decent players just to trade them for nothing because you have depth. Corky is woeful! I think they could of gotten more for Hopper JMHO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Where is Paul Bako when you need him.

doesn't create room anywhere, really -- since Mike Griffin can play OF they have 4 OFs in Louisville -- they'll need to release or demote someone if Heisey is going to go up

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Probably available but with the Cubs last I heard. I did think the Reds might consider Javy but I didn't want to get Chips hopes up.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Corky Miller makes Paul Bako look like Johhny Bench reincarnate!

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Good luck Norris you'll probably be starting in Chicago soon.
    An outfield with Hopper and Wise is fearsome.

Wow when I refreshed I thought this was a thread years old someone had bumped
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Bad trade, IMO. Hopper is worth much more than Miller.

I'm guessing the awful Brian Peterson will go away to make room for the awful Corky Miller. It makes no sense except for making room for a callup. That could have been accomplished with a trade that wasn't awful.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post

Hopper wasn't going to play for the Reds so this should free up a spot so they can promote someone from AA.
    It will also give Hopper a chance to replace someone like Dewayne Wise until Carlos Quentin is ready to return.

Is it out of the realm of possibility that the Reds were doing Hopper a favor? As some have noted, Hopper was way down on our depth chart and there are guys knocking on the door. Is it possible too, that this might mean that Hannigan or Hernandez are on the market and that a Louisville catcher might be coming up as back up? I'm not suggesting it would be Miller, since he'd have to be added to the 40 man, but maybe a deal is being worked out for Hernadez which lets Hannigan be the starter. Just thinking out loud.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Corky Miller is one of the few people in baseball who has had a slump worse than Willy Taveras'. I remember when he went a span of nearly 60 at-bats with only one hit. Still, I like the trade. It frees up space in the outfield, and Miller is an upgrade over Brian Peterson. It also means that Chris Denove and Chris Kroski don't need to be rushed up to AAA if something were to happen to Craig Tatum and/or Brian Peterson.

We're buyers at the dollar store.

welcome back, Corky.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    It also means that Chris Denove and Chris Kroski don't need to be rushed up to AAA if something were to happen to Craig Tatum and/or Brian Peterson.

protect the peons.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    protect the peons.
    I meant it more in the sense that the Reds' AAA pitchers would probably rather throw to more experienced catchers.

Turn Off Ads?