Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds trade Norris Hopper for Corky Miller

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Reds trade Norris Hopper for Corky Miller

At this level of talent, value is as much about fit as production. A catcher who won't completely embarass himself in the major leagues if pressed in to action is much more valuable to the Reds than a Willy Taveras lite.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's what I think about this...

Well, I had skyline for lunch so It'll have to wait a little....

Hey, I got to see one of Hopper's last games in the Reds orginazation a few days ago.

But atleast Corky's back! CORKY!

Oh, and the Bats are still playing the Charlotte White Sox AAA team at the moment. Isn't that kind of akward, to start a road trip with the visiting team and then stay back with the home team?
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    At this level of talent, value is as much about fit as production. A catcher who won't completely embarass himself in the major leagues if pressed in to action is much more valuable to the Reds than a Willy Taveras lite.
    The problem is Willy Taveras is Norris Hopper light.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I bet Hopper could play behind the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Oh, and the Bats are still playing the Charlotte White Sox AAA team at the moment. Isn't that kind of akward, to start a road trip with the visiting team and then stay back with the home team?
    Well, Corky will just change clubhouses. Hopper might be headed to the Sox.

in 2002 with Cincinnati he hit .026

looks like he will fit right in

The Reds pretty much gave the Sox's a guy who can probably help their big league team for next to nothing.Does anyone think that this could have been done for a little extra consideration in case Chicago decides to sell and Dye becomes available again?

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Catchers who OPS over .800 in the minors typically bring in something of value. I don't think this is as bad of a trade as it seems.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Is it out of the realm of possibility that the Reds were doing Hopper a favor? As some have noted, Hopper was way down on our depth chart and there are guys knocking on the door. Is it possible too, that this might mean that Hannigan or Hernandez are on the market and that a Louisville catcher might be coming up as back up? I'm not suggesting it would be Miller, since he'd have to be added to the 40 man, but maybe a deal is being worked out for Hernadez which lets Hannigan be the starter. Just thinking out loud.
    This is what I was thinking too. Norris is a great guy, but he was NEVER going to get another chance with the Reds the way things are now. This gives him a shot somewhere.

As for the catching thing...I seriously doubt it. Miller was just for depth in the minors. Most likely a minor league back up back stop, nothing more, nothing less.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    This is what I was thinking too. Norris is a great guy, but he was NEVER going to get another chance with the Reds the way things are now. This gives him a shot somewhere.

As for the catching thing...I seriously doubt it. Miller was just for depth in the minors. Most likely a minor league back up back stop, nothing more, nothing less.
    Agree, just an answer for Castillo being DL'ed for the season.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I would tend to agree with that. Teams, do, sometimes do players a favor, particularly if they are good people who have been good team players.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

The organization that has Miller in house when he retires is in on the ground floor of a great future manager.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Miller was just for depth in the minors. Most likely a minor league back up back stop, nothing more, nothing less.
    Like Brian Peterson?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The organization that has Miller in house when he retires is in on the ground floor of a great future manager.
    Agreed. The only time I've watched Miller at any length was during spring training a few years ago, on a back field. I don't recall what the drill was, but I vividly remember being impressed with Miller; very impressed. He was in total charge of the thing--hustling, assertive, intense. He was brimming with initiative. My distinct impression was that he was a manager-in-waiting. In advance of that, he seems like a great guy to have at AAA, handling and educating your young pitchers.

Turn Off Ads?