Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Reds trade Norris Hopper for Corky Miller

Re: Reds trade Norris Hopper for Corky Miller

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Show me a player who gets on base via bunt hits 61% of the time in 600 ABs rather than 40-odd ABs.
    Lots of people do it. Why do you think so many hitters consistently bat over .500?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

For the record, Norris Hopper is 2 for 6 on bunts this year in AAA with 1 sac bunt (so likely 2 for 7 because we know Hopper was going for the hit, but just happened to be thrown out).
    Last edited by dougdirt; 06-27-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Show me a player who gets on base via bunt hits 61% of the time in 600 ABs rather than 40-odd ABs.
    Makes you wonder how he managed a .370 OBP if he only bunted in 40-odd ABs.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 06-27-2009 at 06:24 PM.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Makes you wonder how he managed a .370 OBP if he only bunted in 40-odd ABs.
    I don't wonder about that. What I wonder about is, if he's so good, why has he never gotten 600 ABs in his career, let alone a single season.

Lance's idea regarding why he never received 600 PAs in a season was because after his emergence in '07 (hitting .425 or something in August, and .350 after the ASB as a starter) he got buried and wasnt one of "Dusty's Guys." He received like 50 PAs in 08 and wasn't even on the 40-man this year. He was brought in by a regime in the past and had "nobody to fight for him." Again, this is Lance's idea, not my own.

I struggle to think of many players who hit .330 over half of a season and like .425 in a month as a starter that get flat-out dumped, though.

Nate, I don't think people are arguing that Hopper is a great talent or a star player potentially or even a MLB starting level player on 20+ teams. However, I think you could argue that he easily belongs on a MLB roster as a 3rd or 4th outfielder, given his MLB production (albeit in a small sample size).
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Reds currently have Bruce, Dickerson, Gomes, Nix, Dorn, Stubbs, and Heisey (in addition to you know who). Next year if Alonso is ready to go, we might add Votto to that list and possibly also Frazier. That's as many as 9 guys who would have to come ahead of Hopper for outfield spots. How could he be on our roster?

My statement was more in reference to the offseason after 07 moreso than it was about the trade itself. I agree that Hopper had little to no future with the Reds at this point.
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

i wasn't a major hopper fan...but c'mon...he is light years better than Miller. the reds are pretty stacked on the OF front so it's not likely hopper was going to see any PT...but still. i have to think they could've done better than miller.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Lance's idea regarding why he never received 600 PAs in a season was because after his emergence in '07 (hitting .425 or something in August, and .350 after the ASB as a starter) he got buried and wasnt one of "Dusty's Guys." He received like 50 PAs in 08 and wasn't even on the 40-man this year. He was brought in by a regime in the past and had "nobody to fight for him." Again, this is Lance's idea, not my own.

I struggle to think of many players who hit .330 over half of a season and like .425 in a month as a starter that get flat-out dumped, though.

Nate, I don't think people are arguing that Hopper is a great talent or a star player potentially or even a MLB starting level player on 20+ teams. However, I think you could argue that he easily belongs on a MLB roster as a 3rd or 4th outfielder, given his MLB production (albeit in a small sample size).
    Personally, I don't think Dusty would bury a > .330 hitter.

NoHo was an OK player but he was so deep on the depth chart that one would need to dive the Navy tables and spend a week decompressing in the chamber just to get him. This move isn't a talent swap, it's an organizational flexibility swap.

NoHo was an OK player but he was so deep on the depth chart that one would need to dive the Navy tables and spend a week decompressing in the chamber just to get him. This move isn't a talent swap, it's an organizational flexibility swap.
    Exactly a player we have no need for, for a player they have no need for.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

We have no proof of that. We do, however, have proof that Dusty will give a sub-.600 OPSer start after start after start. That speaks volumes to me.

You know there's not much going on when this thread is six pages long.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?