Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edwin Encarnacion's timetable for a return to the bigs...

Re: Edwin Encarnacion's timetable for a return to the bigs...

Was at the Bats game last night. Edwin was not getting much to hit at all. His second at bat he took a walk on 4 pitches that were no where near the zone. Third at bat, with the game out of reach, he seemed to be looking for anything worth taking a swing at and struck out.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He is a guy who is going to hit you .270/.350/.460.
    I wish someone would convince EE of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    My point was that I don't want them to rush a guy back who has a history of defensive deficiencies until he's had enough defensive reps to be able to field the position to the best of his limited abilities.
    I don't think his defensive chances are what they've been concentrating on in AAA. He has DH'ed twice so far. (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Hairston will be in LF soon as EE gets back, lets not kid ourselves.
    Thankfully, SS is open right now, and thats where he'll play. He's much less of an offensive liability there, and his throws are actually better there. I would venture to say, he is actually an "average" defensive SS *ducks*
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Thankfully, SS is open right now, and thats where he'll play. He's much less of an offensive liability there, and his throws are actually better there. I would venture to say, he is actually an "average" defensive SS *ducks*
    An Encarnacion-Hairston pairing on the left side of the infield is just unfair to the pitching staff.

Without looking at the numbers, I'd lay even money on it being the worst defensive combo in the majors.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    I wish someone would convince EE of that.

His career is .260 / .343 / .445, so I don't think he needs much convincing.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    His career is .260 / .343 / .445, so I don't think he needs much convincing.
    And I can promise you all three of those numbers will be higher by the end of 2009.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    An Encarnacion-Hairston pairing on the left side of the infield is just unfair to the pitching staff.

Without looking at the numbers, I'd lay even money on it being the worst defensive combo in the majors.
    So far, in 13 games at SS, Hairston's UZR/150 is +15.3.

The eyeball test also confirms, in that limited time, he's been much, much improved over last season.

Encarnacion, OTOH, graded out at - 23.9 in 19 games.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    And I can promise you all three of those numbers will be higher by the end of 2009.
    Right now Edwin sits at .127/.286/.190. He would need to go on a massive terror when he comes back to the Reds to get those numbers up and above his career average.

Im not doubting that Edwin has talent but I want to see him perform at a high level first. My friend told me this the other day. He said Reds the same Reds fans who thought Edwin should be benched or sent to the minors are now expecting him to become their offensive savior.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Right now Edwin sits at .127/.286/.190. He would need to go on a massive terror when he comes back to the Reds to get those numbers up and above his career average.

Im not doubting that Edwin has talent but I want to see him perform at a high level first. My friend told me this the other day. He said Reds the same Reds fans who thought Edwin should be benched or sent to the minors are now expecting him to become their offensive savior.
    I'm guessing those numbers are included in EE's career numbers.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Really it wouldn't be a huge tear for him to come close to matching it. If he had 300 PA and went .370 OBP from here forward and slugged .481 from here forward (are those really outrageous bets for him?) he would finish at .254/.353/.425, not all that far off.

At this point, it doesn't really even matter what he finishes with. Just being the average Edwin Encarnacion the rest of the season (even if it means his season totals finish lower than normal) is the huge upgrade from what the Reds have received at the position thus far this year. He does not need to perform higher than his averages, just perform at his average and it's still a huge upgrade from here on forward.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Or perhaps Dusty and the Reds just LOVE a .300 OBP 3B named Jerry Hairston and want to keep him playing?
    Ouch. That's about as sarcastic as you get, Doug.

You rarely make a dig.

You must really be frustrated about Dusty's lineups.

FWIW, have there been any signs in the home crowds asking Dusty about his lineup construction?

Really it wouldn't be a huge tear for him to come close to matching it. If he had 300 PA and went .370 OBP from here forward and slugged .481 from here forward (are those really outrageous bets for him?) he would finish at .254/.353/.425, not all that far off.
    Add to that, if you look at what he did last summer (from this point forward), you're being conservative in what he will do once he gets back.

You can pencil in an OPS of .770 minimum from this point forward. That I'm 100% sure of.

Well if he just put up his career normals coming into this year, his career numbers would go back up, if that makes sense.

He only had 60 ABs before he went on the DL, that's nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?