Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heisey in AAA

Heisey in AAA

Heisey called up to Louisville after Mudcats drop third straight
    Mike Potter · 26 Jun 2009, 11:08 PM · Comment

Share |

FIVE COUNTY STADIUM/ZEBULON I get to the park extra early for fifth game of the Carolina Mudcats’ series against the Jacksonville Suns, with the hosts needing two wins to salvage a tie.

The mission is to connect with Mudcats southpaw Travis Wood, for a feature story about him as one of the minor leagues’ top prospects for another website.

But Wood doesn’t seem to be around, and it takes a while to find out why.

“Didn’t you hear?” one teammate says. “He got promoted to Triple-A.”

Since it’s not my first day doing this, I ask manager David Bell if his team has had any transactions since last night’s contest.

Bell answers in the negative and confirms the more plausible clubhouse rumor that Wood - who does arrive in time to pick up a certificate for two earlier Southern League pitcher of the week awards in a pregame presentation - had to make an unplanned trip to the dentist.

That’s about 45 minutes I’ll never get back, but “hurry up and wait” has long been a reality of sports journalism.

At least I have plenty of time to fill out my scorebook - which is dangerously close to being full already - and get some computer things accomplished after making my pregame cheeseburger disappear.

Play ball!

(Spoiler alert, the Mudcats fall 6-2 for their third straight loss, and after the game center fielder Chris Heisey, pictured, - who will play in the Major League Futures Game on July 12 - is promoted to Triple-A Louisville.) Continue reading »

Baseball, Carolina Mudcats Bryan Petersen, Carson Kainer, Chris Hatcher, Chris Heisey, Christhian Martinez, Cincinnati Reds, Dallas Buck, David Bell, Florida Marlins, International League, Jacksonville Suns, Jerry Gil, Jordan Smith, Jose Castro, Kevin Randel, Kinston High School, Logan Morrison, Logan Parker, Louisville Bats, Major League Futures Game, Mike Stanton, Myron Noodleman, Nic Ungs, Scott Cousins, Sean Henry, Shawn Cumberland, Southern League, Tim Torres, Travis Wood, UNC Wilmington

Mudcats have a tough ending, but Heisey gets a nice surprise
    Mike Potter · 25 Jun 2009, 11:38 PM · Comment

Share |

FIVE COUNTY STADIUM/ZEBULON It’s Game 4 of the Carolina Mudcats’ first series of the second half, a six-game set against the chosen opponents from the Southern League’s South Division that they’ll play a whopping 25 times before it’s all over.

Tonight the Mudcats will try to even the current series at two games apiece. There are 10 former Mudcats - along with skipper Brandon Hyde, hitting coach Theron Todd and pitching coach Reid Cornelius - on the Jacksonville Suns’ squad since Carolina was affiliated with the Florida Marlins before switching to the Cincinnati Reds for this season.

One Mudcat gets some very good news early in the day. Chris Heisey (pictured) will be playing in the Major League Futures Game in St. Louis on July 12, the day before he’ll probably be playing in the Southern League All-Star Game in Birmingham.

They’re playing some Michael Jackson songs before and during the game. Odd that he and fellow ’70s-and-later icon Farrah Fawcett die on the same day.

(Spoiler alert: The Mudcats lose 4-2 in 10.)

Anyway, I promised another Theron Todd story yesterday, and here it is. Continue reading »

Baseball, Carolina Mudcats, Durham Bulls Andy Tomberlin, Birmingham Barons, Brandon Hyde, Chris Denove, Chris Heisey, Christhian Martinez, Cincinnati Reds, Dallas Buck, David Bell, Ever Magallanes, Florida Marlins, Florida State League, Jacksonville Suns, Jose Castro, Kasey Olenberger, Lee Mitchell, Lorenzo Scott, Michael Jackson, Mike Stanton, Phil Plantier, Reid Cornelius, Russell Mitchell, Salem Buccaneers, Scott Henion, Sean Henry, Sean Watson, Southern League, Theron Todd, West Tenn Diamond Jaxx

Ex-Mudcats bomb the current crop

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Heisey in AAA

Heisey is now listed on the Louisville roster.

He's not where I'm looking. He's still on the Carolina roster.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    He's not where I'm looking. He's still on the Carolina roster.
    http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=502317

Listed with the Bats.

And now listed on the Bats' site:
    http://louisville.bats.milb.com/milb...=true&sid=t416

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Mike Griffin was sent back to Carolina to create the spot. Simple enough.

Good good move...

Makes you wonder if this means the Stubbs time table is getting close

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Good good move...

Makes you wonder if this means the Stubbs time table is getting close
    I would certainly hope so.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

He deserves it. Now we'll get a bit of a better read about how he and Stubbs compare, and about how the organization sees them (who bats where, who plays where). My take is that Heisey has already outperformed Stubbs once -- when both were in high A last year -- so it would not be surprising if it happens again, though it may take Heisey a little while to adjust to his new surroundings.

In any case, glad this happened -- it was overdue, in my opinion.

Other organization moves include Francisco activated...Kahaulelio back to Sarasota...Puckett back to Dayton...Kuo back to Billings...Ravin to DL...Jordan Smith activated.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Other organization moves include Francisco activated...Kahaulelio back to Sarasota...Puckett back to Dayton...Kuo back to Billings...Ravin to DL...Jordan Smith activated.
    Why is Ravin heading to the DL? I hadn't heard anything about him.

Ravin hurt his elbow in the start on Thursday. Not thought to be serious.

Will Heisey be playing every day in AAA? Any concern that, like Dickerson, he'll get pushed to a corner inappropriately given that Stubbs isn't moving?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I would certainly hope so.
    I don't see that it means anything at all about Stubbs. Hopefully the Dusty will start to see that the CF solution, temporarily anyway, is already sitting in Cinti.

No relationship at all between Heisey going to Triple-A and Stubbs potentially moving up. Different people involved in making the decisions.

Turn Off Ads?