Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which Reds pitching prospect will have the best career?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zach Stewart

22 25.00%
  • Travis Wood

5 5.68%
  • Mike Leake

14 15.91%
  • Homer Bailey

47 53.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stewart, Wood, Leake or Bailey?

Stewart, Wood, Leake or Bailey?

I know it's early- especially for Leake, but who do you think will have the best career?

Other things to consider: Who will have the most impact for the Reds? Who will reach the majors first (other than Bailey)? Will Stewart be a SP or make his mark out of the bullpen? What is holding Wood back from a promotion to Louisville? Discuss.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-28-2009 at 05:54 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Stewart, Wood, Leake or Bailey?

Bailey, Stewart, Leake and Wood in that order.

Impact for the Reds is something no one can go with because who knows what the GM is going to do. Stewart will make it first.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Impact for the Reds is something no one can go with because who knows what the GM is going to do. Stewart will make it first.
    That was more geared towards Bailey. There are a lot of people out there that think if he is successful, it won't be in Cincinnati. I just like to gauge how others see it.
    Go BLUE!!!

after what happened at the CWS I am waiting to find out what is the real condition of leake's arm.

I'll take Stewart.

Wow, zero votes so far for the current minor league ERA leader and the current college ERA leader (and Reds' 2009 first round pick.) Interesting...
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Wow, zero votes so far for the current minor league ERA leader and the current college ERA leader (and Reds' 2009 first round pick.) Interesting...
    Ultimately its about projection and while Wood is a good prospect, he isn't a great one. His ceiling is likely that of a #3 unless he gains back some velocity.

I went with Stewart but admittedly it's as much a hunch as it is anything tangible.

The better question right now might be does Stewart, Wood, Leake etc's presence make Homer (or maybe Micah) expendable? I know what most intial responses might be but marinate on that thought a moment. Especially if no one is willing to accept Arroyo or Harang in a deal. Stewart, Wood and Leake specifically all should be ready or already here by the time Arroyo and Harangs deals expire.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Beni, who you voting for?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Beni, who you voting for?
    It's a tough call, so I haven't put it on paper yet. If I had to lean one way right now, it would probably be Stewart. I think he may be the safest pick, as he could be successful in the rotation or in the 'pen- much like a Joba Chamberlain or Papelbon-type prospect. Bailey and Wood have both been so volatile in the last couple years, although Bailey has more upside. Leake is just too unknown at this point and lacks some projection, although he's probably the safest pick out of all the first-round arms this year (besides Strasburg of course.)
    Go BLUE!!!

I like all four of the guys mentioned but I chose Stewart. I think he has a chance to be a No. 1/2 starter in the majors. His stuff is very, very good - 92-96 mph fastball with great sink, a plus slider, and a changeup that has developed into a solid pitch. He's on the fast track. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the Reds rotation by this time next season.

Homer Bailey may have the most talent of the four but his control needs to improve a lot.

Mike Leake is probably the most polished of the bunch. He could be ready to pitch in the majors by 2011 where he should settle in as a solid No. 2 starter or very good No. 3 starter.

Travis Wood has been dominant this season. I've been really impressed with the progress he has made this season. I like him as a future middle-of-rotation type of arm. His new cutter, along with his plus changeup has done wonders for him this season.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Mike Leake is probably the most polished of the bunch. He could be ready to pitch in the majors by 2011 where he should settle in as a solid No. 2 starter or very good No. 3 starter.
    I'm not sure that Leake can be a solid No.2, especially by 2011. He may break into the rotation by then, but I wouldn't count on him being any more than a #5 guy until 2012 at least, especially if he's shut down for the rest of this season.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm saying he should reach the majors by 2011 and eventually settle in as a No. 2 or very good No. 3 starter. I don't think anyone expects him to immediately step in and be a No. 2 starter from the get go. Very few pitchers do that.

The best thing about what is happening is what a nice problem it is...

Then you have Owings, Volquez and Cueto....

7 arms who are not eligible for big money for a few years.

I have no idea which one will have the better career. I went with Bailey just because I think he is becoming the pithcer that for some reason people thought he should be three years ago. I was concerned when his velocity fell off, but it seems to be back and he has been dominant at triple A. He has matured a great deal. I just think Homer needs some stability and not feel like every pitch he throws could send him back down. I like all of these guys and it is a nice question to be able to pose as a reds fan.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

If you're voting as they stand now, the clear favorite should be Bailey -- as he's succeeded at a higher level than any of the others and (unlike Leake) has the traditional pitchers-build that you look for as a scout.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?