Turn Off Ads?

Thread: UC Football Season Tickets

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

UC Football Season Tickets

I got a call from the UC Athletic Department this week, trying to sell me on season tickets. I'm not sure how they got my contact information -- maybe I filled some form out when I bought tickets to the South Florida game last year, I can't remember.

I'm seriously considering throwing down for tickets this year. I'm not an alum, and I really have no connection to the university other than the fact that I live in the city here. However, they have some solid home games on the schedule this year (Fresno State, Louisville, UConn, WVU and Illinois) and I've had a good time going to games the last couple years.

Anyone else a football season ticket holder for UC or planning on getting season tickets for the '09 season?
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: UC Football Season Tickets

I've been a season ticket holder since 2007 and this will be my second season in the Lair. It's by far the best sporting value in Cincinnati and I highly recommend it. And it's not just tickets to the game, UC throws so many little perks in with them that they really go out of their way to show appreciation for the season ticket holders.

Another thing to remember, if you get in this year, there will be no price increase for the 2010 season.
    Last edited by paintmered; 06-29-2009 at 06:34 AM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

This is my second year for season tickets for UC football. I was hesitant to buy them last year, but I didn't even think twice about renewing them this year even with the price increase. Honestly it was a great decision last year to get the tickets. I had a blast at the games last year, Nippert is an awesome atmosphere. There was one game I wasn't able to go to last year (Rutgers) and I had no problem selling the tickets at face value.

I hope you don't feel like you have to have a connection to the university to be a fan. UC is the city university and that is enough for anyone in the city to follow them (yes, even X fans). Heck 90% of Ohio is Ohio State fans and for most people the only connection to the school is that they live in Ohio. You will not regret it if you get season tickets.

I'm a Marshall grad and a Xavier grad, so I have a natural tendency to hate UC. I must say, though, that the atmosphere at Nippert is tremendous and well worth the money. Last year I sat second row on the 50 for the Herd game and was so happy to see a college football stadium filled to capacity in my city. Since X doesn't have a varsity team and Marshal might as well not anymore, I have no problem pulling for the 'Cats a little bit. The economic boost of a winner is very good for the area and I have enjoyed seeing OSU's territory shrinking a bit.

The atmosphere isn't on the level of what you find at say an SEC or ACC stadium, but pound-for-pound the fans at UC are more intense than those at Ohio State where I've attended dozens of games. There, I said it...flame away Buckeye fans.

One more thing to add, I'm not sure if you're big into tailgating, but the tailgating & bar scene around campus before games has basically tripled in the past couple of years. It's a good time getting down to campus early on gamedays, where in the past there just wasn't much excitement there.

I'd just like to say that I wish UC would get more football fans. I've certainly become one because they've shown they want to win and a night game at Nippert is wonderful. I hope to make a few more games this year after only going to 1 last year.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    I'd just like to say that I wish UC would get more football fans. I've certainly become one because they've shown they want to win and a night game at Nippert is wonderful. I hope to make a few more games this year after only going to 1 last year.
    I hope they UC keeps playing night games at Nippert. You're right, the evening games are wonderful. When I was a student at Marshall we played most of our games in the evening and there was something special about it. Now most Herd games start at either 1:00 or 4:30 and the atmosphere is just not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    And it's not just tickets to the game, UC throws so many little perks in with them that they really go out of their way to show appreciation for the season ticket holders.
    Would you mind going into more detail about this? I've had season tickets at IU for about 9 years now and I'm just curious as to what other schools do to promote.

Also, how many fans do you guys draw for home games?
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

I got my Student season ticket plan and I encourage as many people to get season tickets if you can afford them and love football.

The atmosphere at Nippert is phenomenal when there are more people there - some of the best sports moments of my life came last year during those sold out crowds - it's amazing.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Would you mind going into more detail about this? I've had season tickets at IU for about 9 years now and I'm just curious as to what other schools do to promote.

Also, how many fans do you guys draw for home games?
    Nippert only holds 35,000. UC wants to expand, but the stadium is very tightly land-locked by other campus buildings (Nippert is in the very center of campus). So any expansion will be quite expensive.

As for the perks, there's free concessions before the games. There's usually a gift thrown in with the season ticket (this year is a Big East championship ring replica). Also, the ticket includes invites to VIP events throughout the year. A couple times throughout the year, I'll get a phone call from one of the football players just to thank me for my support. None of the perks are all that huge, but it does add up. At least in my opinion, it all comes across as sincere appreciation in the execution.

The season tickets also include a credit that goes towards the price of a bowl game ticket.
    Last edited by paintmered; 07-01-2009 at 07:57 AM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Well IU would be safe offering a credit towards a bowl game ticket I expect.

CE, did you ever pull the trigger on the season tickets? They are have set another record for season ticket holders this year with a month and a half left. Here's a write up on ticket sales so far...

http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/blo...072109aaa.html

Turn Off Ads?