Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds looking for right handed bat

Reds looking for right handed bat

First credit goes to the Sun Deck where I saw this posted:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9...king-elsewhere
    Cubs fans aren't done lamenting the fact that onetime North Side favorite Mark DeRosa was traded from Cleveland to rival St. Louis on Saturday night.

Here's my advice to them: Drop it. Another team in the National League Central had an even greater need for DeRosa — and I'm not talking about the Cardinals.

The most disappointed team after the deal was probably in the visiting clubhouse during this weekend's Buckeye Series at Progressive Field.

Yes, the Cincinnati Reds wanted Mark DeRosa in the worst way. And on Sunday, two industry sources said the Reds are still very much engaged in their search for right-handed hitting.

The Reds have left-handed power, with young sluggers Joey Votto and Jay Bruce. DeRosa, a right-handed run producer, would have been an ideal compliment.

DeRosa plays two positions, left field and third base, where Cincinnati has had below-major-league-average production, as judged by OPS.

Laynce Nix has done an admirable job in left, but the Reds would like to add a right-handed compliment. Team officials have already considered Washington's Josh Willingham. Baltimore's Ty Wigginton is another option as a right-handed hitter, but he's more of a 2B/3B than an outfielder.

Oakland's Matt Holliday would be the biggest prize, of course, but it remains to be seen if Cincinnati will put together an offer that Billy Beane deems sufficiently impressive.

One name that can't be dismissed: switch hitter Gary Matthews Jr. of the Los Angeles Angels, who has been a trade candidate for some time. He's struggled to produce consistently since signing a five-year, $50 million contract prior to the 2007 season, and the Angels would almost certainly need to include a large amount of cash in the deal.

The Reds' pitching depth could make them a natural trading partner for the Angels, whose bullpen has struggled for much of the year. And Cincinnati manager Dusty Baker knows Matthews well, since the outfielder's father, Gary Matthews Sr., served on Baker's coaching staff with the Chicago Cubs.

Cincinnati's production at third base — the worst in the majors (.554 OPS) entering Sunday — could improve soon if regular starter Edwin Encarnacion makes a successful return from his broken left wrist. He's currently hitting .286 for Class AAA Louisville on a rehabilitation assignment.

So, the bigger infield need may be at shortstop, where Alex Gonzalez could be out until the end of July after having surgery to remove four loose bodies from his throwing elbow.

An interesting possibility could emerge at that position: Julio Lugo.

Yes, Lugo has been maligned in Boston, more for his defense than his offense. He's batting .292, with a .361 on-base percentage. That's better than Gonzalez's performance at shortstop and Willy Taveras' dismal showing as the leadoff man.

Even though he's rarely done it this year, Lugo has experience in the leadoff spot: a lifetime .272 batting average in 393 career games, according to Retrosheet.org.

Lugo is earning $9 million this year. He's set to earn $9 million next year, too. But the Boston Globe reported Sunday that he could be released once Jed Lowrie returns from the disabled list.

If the Red Sox release him, they will responsible for all the money left on his deal, less the major-league minimum. So, Boston officials have some incentive to explore trades now — with the understanding that they'd need to include a large amount of cash, anyway.

The Reds could also decide to stay with in-house solutions at shortstop until Gonzalez returns: Paul Janish, a good defender, and Jerry Hairston Jr., who is a second baseman and outfielder by trade.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

I'm not sure about these guys at this point. I think they'd improve the team's depth but with EdE back and Gomes/Nix platooning in LF, I don't see where Wigginton, Matthews or Willingham help too much at this point. I could see getting Willingham or Wigginton and platooning one of them with Nix while moving Gomes over to platoon with Bruce in RF. It would also allow for a more natural back-up for Votto. Willingham for example could spell Votto occassionally and allow Hernandez and Hanigan to stay fresher switching off behind the plate.

They needed to get some one while EdE was out, but now that he's back, the urgency is gone, but depth would help and a platoon partner for Bruce wouldn't hurt in the short run. A SS acquisition would still help, but I'm not sure Lugo is the answer.

Just say no to Matthews. I fear an OF with Hairston, Taveras and Matthews one day in Cincy. That may be the thing that ultimately makes me give up on this team after nearly 50 years.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm not sure about these guys at this point. I think they'd improve the team's depth but with EdE back and Gomes/Nix platooning in LF, I don't see where Wigginton, Matthews or Willingham help too much at this point. I could see getting Willingham or Wigginton and platooning one of them with Nix while moving Gomes over to platoon with Bruce in RF. It would also allow for a more natural back-up for Votto. Willingham for example could spell Votto occassionally and allow Hernandez and Hanigan to stay fresher switching off behind the plate.

They needed to get some one while EdE was out, but now that he's back, the urgency is gone, but depth would help and a platoon partner for Bruce wouldn't hurt in the short run. A SS acquisition would still help, but I'm not sure Lugo is the answer.

Just say no to Matthews. I fear an OF with Hairston, Taveras and Matthews one day in Cincy. That may be the thing that ultimately makes me give up on this team after nearly 50 years.
    I agree with you on most everything you said in here. I really don't want any part of seeing Wigginton and Gomes in LF/RF because then your COF defense is just as bad as it was last year. DeRosa would have been nice to get, but not somebody I'm going to lose sleep over.

Definatley nice to hear we are trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I agree with you on most everything you said in here. I really don't want any part of seeing Wigginton and Gomes in LF/RF because then your COF defense is just as bad as it was last year. DeRosa would have been nice to get, but not somebody I'm going to lose sleep over.

Definatley nice to hear we are trying.
    Agree that Gomes in RF and Willingham or Wigginton in LF would be more of the 2008 style defense, but none of those guys is as bad as Griffey was in 2008. I can't really see any combination making the OF defense as bad as 2008 unless the team would bring Griffey back.

They really need to target SS or a RH half to team with Bruce. Those are the only spots where a role player type would be a real improvement. As long as Taveras stays on the bench, they can really only upgrade the other spots by bringing in a real star caliber player. The role player types mentioned in this article don't seem to be much of an upgrade over the guys already here. They do add depth though and it would have been nice to have while EdE and Votto were out. Getting depth for the second half is a decent thing to do as long as it only costs expendable non-core talent.
    Last edited by mth123; 06-29-2009 at 04:45 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Getting depth for the second half is a decent thing to do as long as it only costs expendable non-core talent.
    Agreed -- not a bad approach. I think taking a flier on Lugo is a worthwhile gamble if he costs next to nothing. Good player at times, and getting out of Boston may be the key for him. Hard to know how much Gonzo will be able to contribute when he comes back.

If I'm Walt I'm calling Cleveland ASAP, and inquiring about Jhonny Peralta, he would fill our biggest position of need at SS, and he is a RH bat. He would probably cost some good prospects, but he is still young 27-28 and would solidify the spot for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Agreed -- not a bad approach. I think taking a flier on Lugo is a worthwhile gamble if he costs next to nothing. Good player at times, and getting out of Boston may be the key for him. Hard to know how much Gonzo will be able to contribute when he comes back.
    A couple years ago I wanted the Reds to make a run at Lowrie but thought it would be OK to settle for Lugo. He does get on base more than Hairston and it would free Hairston to platoon with Dickerson in CF, but I fear Keppingeresque defense and that is not acceptable IMO. Can you or M2 or the other New Englanders on here who have seen him play give us the scoop on Lugo's defense?

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    If I'm Walt I'm calling Cleveland ASAP, and inquiring about Jhonny Peralta, he would fill our biggest position of need at SS, and he is a RH bat. He would probably cost some good prospects, but he is still young 27-28 and would solidify the spot for some time.
    Another guy I've thought about but wonder about his defense. He was moved in part because Cabrera is the man long term, but it was also in part because Peralta is a bit short on range as I understand it. Cleveland needs arms and Matt Maloney for Peralta with the Reds throwing in lesser minor league arms (Lecure, Watson, etc) might be a good fit. I don't think it would take much more than that. They could have Rosales or Richar to provide IF depth if they want. But I only want to do it if he's at least an average or a little bit below defender. No Keppinger, Aurilia, Lopez types. If we want that, I'd just promote Valaika or Sutton.

We have a good right handed bat in Louisville, that should be called up this week. He plays third base, and is only 26 years old, with several years of MLB experience.

In the last 8 games for the Bats, he is batting .286/.412/.536 for an OPS of .947, with two HRs.

Last year in MLB he hit .251/.340/.466 for an OPS of .806, and hit 26 Hrs. This year he was projected by Baseball Prospectus to hit .283/.365/.493 for an OPS of .858, with 24 HRs (I know, just projections...).

Although this guy has fallen in disfavor here at RedsZone, if he gets called up and produces like he is capable of, he would go a long way toward solving the need for a strong RH bat.

YOU know who I mean, don't you? His minor league stats are HERE.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    We have a good right handed bat in Louisville, that should be called up this week. He plays third base, and is only 26 years old, with several years of MLB experience.

In the last 8 games for the Bats, he is batting .286/.412/.536 for an OPS of .947, with two HRs.

Last year in MLB he hit .251/.340/.466 for an OPS of .806, and hit 26 Hrs. This year he was projected by Baseball Prospectus to hit .283/.365/.493 for an OPS of .858, with 24 HRs (I know, just projections...).

Although this guy has fallen in disfavor here at RedsZone, if he gets called up and produces like he is capable of, he would go a long way toward solving the need for a strong RH bat.

YOU know who I mean, don't you? His minor league stats are HERE.
    Agree that EdE is part of the plan. This team needs more though IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    That's an interesting thought, although I'd first like to know more about his defense. I agree with the others that he would have to be at least average defensively.

If I could get him for Maloney and other AAA fluff, it might be a decent do so long as he can provide average defense at SS. I like that his contract is up after 2010, which gives flexibility to make a choice at that time between him and Cozart/Valaika. If his defense is not average or better, the Reds would be better off signing Julio Lugo, assuming he is released. I like that Lugo could leadoff, at least until Taveras is gone.

As far as the other names in the article go, color me underwhelmed. I want no part of Gary Matthews Jr. or Ty Wigginton. Josh Willingham is OK, but I'd rather take a chance on one of the Nationals other troubled OFers- Lastings Milledge and/or Elijah Dukes, as they are younger and have more upside, play better defense, and would probably come cheaper. I'm not sure Willingham would be much of an upgrade over Gomes, who has been quite impressive. I would be happy with Holliday, but only if the Reds could acquire him without giving up one of their top 5 prospects (Alonso, Stewart, Frazier, Wood, one of Stubbs/Heisey.) Then and only then would I play Gomes in RF against LHP. Otherwise, Jay Bruce needs to play everyday.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-29-2009 at 09:32 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Otherwise, Jay Bruce needs to play everyday.
    Bruce is going to needs some days off, no matter who's around. It's a long season, it's going to get hotter, and he seems like the type of player who benefits from the mental break, too. Getting another RH bat -- like Willingham -- who can hurt lefties will allow the team to put a pretty good lineup out there on days when Bruce does sit.

Gomes is belting the ball, I guess they have no confidence in his defense. I doubt they will get a better platoon hitter than Gomes for left field.

The primary need right now is a big bat for left field. Not a platoon guy, but a big bat. Matt Holliday. A difference maker.

If it's a shortstop they want, it also makes sense but he has to be good -- materially better than the Hairston/Janish combo.

Frankly, I don't understand where they intended to play DeRosa.

I can't figure all this out, except the Reds have 13 pitchers, they only need to keep 12, so they seem to be looking for one more position player. My guess is they are trying to trade a reliever for a bench hitter.

I've now seen Roenicke pitch several times, if they give him up for a fill-in bench player, they are making a mistake.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-29-2009 at 10:22 AM.

We also have some RH bats coming through the system in Stubbs, Heisey, and Fraizer. More than anything I think this team needs to go out and find a SS stop that can hit and play avg Defense.

Any bat the Reds land needs to be an upgrade over the player he replaces. Looking at Gomes/Nix splits, Hanigan/Hernandez, Dickerson IF Dusty would play him over Taveras, Bruce, Votto, BP, and with EE returning - the only spot I see a possibility of a real upgrade is SS. Getting a decent hitting sub who can play either corner to spell Joey and EE might help somewhat.

Replacing Gomes/Nix platoon numbers would require a star caliber player. Holliday would be that but the increase in numbers wouldn't be all that, imo. Most of what Matt would bring is stability and track record - and I think there's some room for argument there about whether he's a product of Coors.

Bruce isn't going anywhere, neither is Votto or the catching tandem of H/H. Pretty much leaves the SS position or if you've given up on EE, third.

SS is even more needful when you look at the minors where Heisey, Stubbs, Valaika, Frazier, Alonso et al bring future bats to the OF and corners. It shouldn't be hard to find Hanigan a reasonable platoon partner for a few years so that leaves SS. Janish is a decent option as the future backup for a while but he isn't a starter. With EE and Votto back the biggest need is SS and a backup for the infield corners, particularly a guy who can play third without being a blackhole at the plate to back EE.

Turn Off Ads?