Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds looking for right handed bat

Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

I like Josh Willingham quite a bit but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade he is over the Laynce Nix/Johnny Gomes platoon. Gary Matthews Jr.? Ugh. Jocketty should be fired if he even thinks about acquiring Matthews. Right now, I think our two biggest needs is shortstop and another starting pitcher. The loss of Volquez really hurts. A guy like Doug Davis would be a nice pickup.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm going to be really pissed if they trade for Gary Matthews Jr. That will lend to the theory that Dusty is really the one calling the shots on player acquisitions (Patterson, Hairston, Taveras, Matthews, etc.)
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I like Josh Willingham quite a bit but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade he is over the Laynce Nix/Johnny Gomes platoon. Gary Matthews Jr.? Ugh. Jocketty should be fired if he even thinks about acquiring Matthews.
    Agree.

Right now, I think our two biggest needs is shortstop and another starting pitcher. The loss of Volquez really hurts. A guy like Doug Davis would be a nice pickup.
    Disagree. I don't think any stopgap veterans need to be added to this staff. Bailey is currently replacing Volquez, and will remain in the rotation even after EV returns (meaning Arroyo or Owings is likely out at that time.) Matt Maloney or Justin Lehr can make a spot start if neccessary. I'm not sure where Doug Davis would fit in.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I like Josh Willingham quite a bit but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade he is over the Laynce Nix/Johnny Gomes platoon. Gary Matthews Jr.? Ugh. Jocketty should be fired if he even thinks about acquiring Matthews. Right now, I think our two biggest needs is shortstop and another starting pitcher. The loss of Volquez really hurts. A guy like Doug Davis would be a nice pickup.
    I don't think Willingham is an upgrade over the platoon, but he is an upgrade as a RH who can spot in for Bruce and his sub .600 OPS against lefty pitching. Also, he would be the guy to back up Votto instead of overtaxing Hernandez and sending him into another tailspin. Depth is good. I wouldn't trade tons to get him, but he'd surely help and if taking on his bucks and giving up a middling prospect gets it done, I say do it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Last year in MLB he hit .251/.340/.466 for an OPS of .806, and hit 26 Hrs. This year he was projected by Baseball Prospectus to hit .283/.365/.493 for an OPS of .858, with 24 HRs (I know, just projections...).

Although this guy has fallen in disfavor here at RedsZone, if he gets called up and produces like he is capable of, he would go a long way toward solving the need for a strong RH bat.

YOU know who I mean, don't you? His minor league stats are HERE.
    The player of whom you speak also plays well-below average defense at 3b. Considering I full expect Hairston to be delployed at SS when he returns, it sets the stage for one of the (if not the) worst defensive left-sides in the league.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The player of whom you speak also plays well-below average defense at 3b. Considering I full expect Hairston to be delployed at SS when he returns, it sets the stage for one of the (if not the) worst defensive left-sides in the league.
    Agreed -- and Votto is not exactly a vacuum cleaner of poor throws either. Could get messy.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't think Willingham is an upgrade over the platoon, but he is an upgrade as a RH who can spot in for Bruce and his sub .600 OPS against lefty pitching. Also, he would be the guy to back up Votto instead of overtaxing Hernandez and sending him into another tailspin. Depth is good. I wouldn't trade tons to get him, but he'd surely help and if taking on his bucks and giving up a middling prospect gets it done, I say do it.
    I completely agree with this. Willingham would just be a good addition to the team in general.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    We have a good right handed bat in Louisville, that should be called up this week. He plays third base, and is only 26 years old, with several years of MLB experience.

In the last 8 games for the Bats, he is batting .286/.412/.536 for an OPS of .947, with two HRs.

Last year in MLB he hit .251/.340/.466 for an OPS of .806, and hit 26 Hrs. This year he was projected by Baseball Prospectus to hit .283/.365/.493 for an OPS of .858, with 24 HRs (I know, just projections...).

Although this guy has fallen in disfavor here at RedsZone, if he gets called up and produces like he is capable of, he would go a long way toward solving the need for a strong RH bat.

YOU know who I mean, don't you? His minor league stats are HERE.
    Oh I agree with this, and everything I have said has been assuming that Edwin would become the 3rd baseman as soon as he is deemed ready. With EE in the lineup (assuming he does what he normally does and OPS in low .800s) I still think the Reds are a bat short. Now if EE finally put it together and turned into a .900+ OPS, it could change my mind, but i'm not willing to pin my playoff chances on hoping for something.

Having EE come back and be EE, and adding a guy like Yunell Escobar would take the left side of the infied from awful to above average, that would be a huge upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Couple of thoughts.

- If the Reds acquirer an Wiggington, Willingham, etc. that won't help out much. They aren't much better than what is in house already.

- Bruce is the RF of now and in the future. I can see giving him a day off from time to time but I don't agree with getting a platoon player for him. He needs to learn how to hit LH pitching and the only way to do so is get as many reps as possible.

- If the Reds are able to acquirer Holliday (or another legit offensive player) the need at SS isn't as pressing. They could play Janish or Gonzo when healthy and bat them 8th.

- If we are counting on Edwin to come back and provide a big impact we are going to be sorely disappointed. His bat will be nice and will definatly improve the offensive output from 3b, but it isn't enough to give his team a much needed offensive boost.

- Lugo at the league minimum is growing on me. He may not be a good defender but his offensive may help. It especially would help if Edwin doesn't cut it at third. He could be the ideal lead off hitter in the Reds lineup.
    I don't think anybody is expecting Edwin to be anythiing that he hasn't been in his career. EE, Hairston, and Rosales (the 3 players who have gotten nearly all the ABs at 3B) have OPS'd .701, .561, and .476 respectively. If Edwin can just OPS .800 the rest of the year it would be a huge upgrade.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Having EE come back and be EE, and adding a guy like Yunell Escobar would take the left side of the infied from awful to above average, that would be a huge upgrade.
    I would think that Escobar might be cost-prohibitive in terms of talent to acquire. The only time I've heard his name in trade talks was when Jake Peavy was involved. I would think that Yonder Alonso would have to be included in such a deal and then some.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If Dickerson is producing he will find his way into the lineup. If he continues to play well he will take more and more starts away from Taveras. Last year Patterson was awful and Dusty did remove him from the lineup. Lets pretend that the Reds make two moves before the trading deadline. They trade for Holliday and sign Lugo to a league minimum deal. IMO with Holliday in the fold Dickerson would bump Taveras out of CF and Lugo would become the new lead off hitter. The Reds lineup would look like this.

Lugo SS
    Dickerson CF
    Votto 1B
    Holliday LF
    Phillips 2B
    Bruce RF
    Encarnacion 3b
    Hernandez C
    Pithcer

Those two moves are very unlikely to happen but if they are done it would make the lineup very much better without sacrificing defense too much. Even if Lugo isn't acquired I can still see Dickerson start to take most of the PT away from Taveras if he produces. Dusty may be stubborn and a players manager but if Dickerson is out producing WT he will be in the lineup.

Edwin is responsible for those paltry offensive numbers. His current OPS is under .200. Injury or not he was awful at the plate and I am waiting for him to prove his offensive game before I start to believe in those lofty offensive numbers.
    He proved it last year.

And the year before.

He doesn't have to prove anything. All he has to do is be healthy.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I would think that Escobar might be cost-prohibitive in terms of talent to acquire. The only time I've heard his name in trade talks was when Jake Peavy was involved. I would think that Yonder Alonso would have to be included in such a deal and then some.
    I am not sure that Escobar is the guy, but if the Reds could get a young SS that could play league average defense or better, and OPS at least .750, I would gladly trade Alonso + for that.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    1. Walt needs to get a real SS. we have the trade chips in the system to get it done.

2. Walt needs to admit his mistake and DFA Taveras. He has negative value. Then the centerfielder can be Dickerson (+- Hairston vs LHP)

Imagine...
    CF Dickerson (+- Hairston)
    3B EE
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    LF Nix/Gomes
    RF Bruce
    C Hanigan/Hernandez
    SS a real major league player who can field & hit a little.

THAT is a pretty good lineup. If Walt could get a SS I would be excited over the team. We would still need a healthy Volquez or Bailey stepping up big time but the key acquisition MUST be a shortstop.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    He proved it last year.

And the year before.

He doesn't have to prove anything. All he has to do is be healthy.
    This.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    This.
    It also wouldn't hurt if he magically turned into a competent defender at third base -- as it stands, his inability to play defense robs his bat of the impact it might otherwise have.

Looking at his errors alone, he gave the opposition almost a game's worth of free Outs last year (23), and that doesn't even get into his limited range at third base and all the balls that a better defender WOULD get to that turned into base hits or doubles down the line.

Encarnacion is the best of whats around when it comes to third basemen on the Reds 40 man roster -- but he isn't so far above replacement level or so good that the Reds shouldn't actively be pursuing a better player for his spot.

As it stands, their pursuit of DeRosa is a pretty fair indicator that the Reds probably value Encarnacion appropriately.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?