Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Reds looking for right handed bat

Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Funny how all the perennial winners in baseball take the opposite approach. They look at where they are at mid-season and see if they can win. And if they can, they go for it.

"Appease the masses" is a cute phrase, but I would contrast the "masses" with those who are simply afraid to win. They are so stuck on protecting the future that they never are bold enough to succeed in the present. And they never recognize the opportunity to win in the present.

This team is 3 games out in July. If, as the month continues, they are in the same range and they sit back because of the future, or because they probably won't win anyway, or because they may not have enough of this or that, or because they should wait until they have a better shortstop, or whatever, then we know what they are -- and the word ain't "winners."
    And there are the examples of past Arizona and Florida teams where they go all in for the short term without consideration for the future and then need to rip down that roster shortly thereafter.

Cincy is in a "race" right now and it isn't because the team is strong. It is a difficult decision to add payroll and subtract prospects in order to be the champ of a weak division only to get your head handed to you once you venture outside the cushy NL Central. If the goal for this season is to get that NL Central flag and that's it, then they should probably make a move or two for some veterans. If they want to build a perennial winner, then they might need to think twice about what they should do.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just did a little checking. These are rough numbers courtesy ESPN, NL only.

At the C position, the Reds are 3rd in OPS.

At 1B, the Reds are 6th in OPS, but with a healthy Votto, they would probably no lower than third behind MIL and STL.

At 2B the Reds have the third highest OPS.

At 3B the Reds have the worst OPS in the NL. A healthy EE posting an average EE season would put the Reds no lower than 4th, and if he progressed as high as second.

At SS the Reds are 12th. No amount of rearranging helps here.

At LF the Reds are 10th, but the Nix/Gomes platoon would have the Reds at 5th.

At RF the Reds are 6th in OPS. Bruce's OPS has dropped 2 straight months.

At CF the Reds are dead last. CD in CF would possibly put the Reds at 6th-7th depending on how he handled LH pitching. He's been strictly platooned by Dusty.

The Reds don't need a big bat acquisition. They need some health, a little luck, and some common sense.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

The Reds don't need a big bat acquisition. They need some health, a little luck, and some common sense.

The team OPS is .711, which is near the bottom of the NL. There is a need for a significant upgrade in the offense. EE plus one major bat could supply it.

It's not just a matter of playing Dickerson more or Laynce Nix.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    This team currently needs multiple moves to get there. If they are able to do that then they should. But I don't want to see them deal valuable young players in order to finish in 3rd place.
    The Reds might need three steps to get where they need to be, but they'll forever be three steps away unless they take step one.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The team OPS is .711, which is near the bottom of the NL. There is a need for a significant upgrade in the offense. EE plus one major bat could supply it.

It's not just a matter of playing Dickerson more or Laynce Nix.
    I don't see how you can look at the numbers by position and think the Reds need a bat other than the in house options getting healthy and drop kicking WT to the curb.

Now if you can find a SS that won't kill you defensively and can hit, I'd be all over that.

Now if you can find a SS that won't kill you defensively and can hit, I'd be all over that.
    Yunel Escobar
    Brandon Wood
    Julio Lugo

I'd say there are quite a few who are available...
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The Reds might need three steps to get where they need to be, but they'll forever be three steps away unless they take step one.
    Agreed, but if you move too slow that first step might be wasted. For example, in a vacuum no one can really gripe too much about acquiring a closer like Cordero. Maybe the money is an issue, but I can deal as long as Cincy is in a position to need a closer. If this team doesn't end up in contention this year, then the first 2 seasons of his record breaking contract have not been optimized. Now we are paying $12MM per year for his age 35 and 36 years. Gulp.

Moral of the story? The "first step" of acquiring Cordero, while looking like a positive move at the time, ends up hurting more than helping.

If you take that first step, you better be ready to take enough additional ones to make the first count. If you aren't ready, then bank the money and build for when you are ready to make them count.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Yunel Escobar
    Brandon Wood
    Julio Lugo

I'd say there are quite a few who are available...
    Lugo doesn't really hit. Hasn't hit since the first half of 2006.

And he's an awful defender.

He'd be a better leadoff option than what's currently being trotted out there.
    Go BLUE!!!

Bullpens..........

Code:
    Team	ERA	Rank mlb	cost	%payroll
    Reds	3.25	    3	      $21.6M	    30
    Ms	3.29	    4	       $4.10 	   4.2
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Bullpens..........

Code:
    Team	ERA	Rank mlb	cost	%payroll
    Reds	3.25	    3	      $21.6M	    30
    Ms	3.29	    4	       $4.10 	   4.2
    oooh. now do the rotations...

oooh. now do the rotations...
    I don't want too....
    Last edited by jojo; 07-02-2009 at 04:02 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I can't think of a worse 1-2 "punch" in all of baseball than Willy Taveras (.570 OPS) and Jerry Hairston Jr. (.687 OPS). These guys are killing the Reds. My solution:

1. Make Chris Dickerson the starting center fielder. His .389 OBP and .794 OPS is a tremendous upgrade over Taveras.

2. Give Ryan Hanigan more playing time and bat him second. His .423 OBP would look great in front of Joey Votto.

The lineup I would use when Edwin Encarnacion returns:

Chris Dickerson, CF
    Ryan Hanigan, C
    Joey Votto, 1B
    Brandon Phillips, 2B
    Jay Bruce, RF
    Edwin Encarnacion, 3B
    Laynce Nix/Johnny Gomes, LF
    Jerry Hairston Jr./Paul Janish, SS

That's still not a great lineup but it's better than what Dusty is running out there now.

It's obvious that we need another bat, preferably a shortstop. As others have suggested, I'd target Yunel Escobar or a young guy like Brandon Wood of the Angels.

I don't see how you can look at the numbers by position and think the Reds need a bat other than the in house options getting healthy and drop kicking WT to the curb.

I think the positional analysis is meaningless. Because the fact that Hernandez has a good OPS compared with other CATCHERS and Phillips has a good OPS compared with other SECOND BASEMEN means only that they are better than a weak group.

Find me, in your positional analysis, a legitimate middle of the order --a hard hitting 3-4-5 combo -- and I'll agree. But it doesn't exist on this team unless somebody dramatically improves.

Right now the team has one middle of the order hitter. One. Votto. It needs another and it needs EE to come back. Then we will be talking offense.

It might have worked out better if Bruce had hit this year. Or if Phillips had really emerged offensively. Or if Nix was a starting caliber outfielder -- I think he's a fourth outfielder. He has 7 homers and about a .300 OBP.

As of now, there is no there there. The middle of the order is weak. It needs two new members, one from Louisville in EE and one from the outside.

All this talk about shortstops just overlooks a critical need. The Reds do need a shortstop. But they also need a cleanup hitter.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-02-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Turn Off Ads?