Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 223

Thread: Reds looking for right handed bat

  1. #61
    Member schroomytunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    wilmington n.c.
    Posts
    957

    Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

    Yeah we need a SS in the worst way, and the Angels have some guys that could fit the bill very nicely for us:
    1)Brandon Wood-AAA
    2)Erick Aybar-MLB
    3)Macier Izturis-MLB

    I would love to land Wood, but I feel the Angels will be asking for some prime talent in return, but it takes talent to land talent so I see what they want and proceed.

    The fallback option to me would be Izturis, he's still young plays good defense and hits .270ish with average OBP, he would be more than adequate until Cozart/Valaika are ready. Also, he wouldn't require much to land via trade. This would then allow Hairston to resume his role as a bench player, thus allowing him to be used in a more suitable role.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,626

    Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

    Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    I would love to land Wood, but I feel the Angels will be asking for some prime talent in return, but it takes talent to land talent so I see what they want and proceed.
    You know, I'd be happy to see the Reds give up some prime talent to bring a 24 year-old shortstop with Wood's talents to the team. He wouldn't be a stopgap but a long-range solution at shortstop/third base and the number four hitter between Votto and Bruce.

    As you mentioned, the Angels have lots of infield options. They recently recalled Sean Rodriguez (another nice bat but doesn't have Wood's glove) over Wood when they needed an infielder. With the Angels in a tight race with the Rangers (and reluctant GM Bill Stoneman gone), they may be willing to gamble Wood for the right parts...
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  4. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,126

    Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

    I'd be happy to see the Reds give up some prime talent to bring a 24 year-old shortstop with Wood's talents to the team. He wouldn't be a stopgap but a long-range solution at shortstop/third base and the number four hitter between Votto and Bruce.
    Wood is not a SS. He has a hard time making contact, too, and his minor league numbers have always been favored by playing in hitter-friendly environments. He may be the most overrated prospect on this board right now -- I mean, if we're talking about him playing SS and hitting cleanup.

    The Reds have Valaika and Cozart lined up in the high minors, so there is a decent chance the team will need only a short-term answer at SS. I would not go wasting significant talent in a trade for a "SS of the future," because the truly talented young SSs are not available. Other options may arise out of a grass-is-greener perspective, breeding hallucinations like Brandon Wood -- where we see what we want to see, not what's really there. That's how you end up making a lousy trade.
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 06-30-2009 at 09:58 AM.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  5. #64
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,626

    Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

    Wood is not a SS.
    I disagree. I don't know his defensive stats, but he is a smooth, sure-handed defender. He is a pleasure to watch play defensively. He certainly could competently fill the position until another option could move him to third. At third, I believe he would be a Gold Glove candidate.

    He has a hard time making contact, too,
    I'm not going there...but he has been making progress in his walk to K rate this season.

    ...always been favored by playing in hitter-friendly environments
    Hmmm...GABP might fit that description. We have seen Randas, Aurillias, and a few others have decent years in Cincy. Brandon Phillips has been in the four hole for much of the Reds' recent history. I can see Wood developing into a thirty-plus homerun hitter.

    Besides, what is your basis for this statement.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  6. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,126

    Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

    I disagree. I don't know his defensive stats, but he is a smooth, sure-handed defender. He is a pleasure to watch play defensively. He certainly could competently fill the position until another option could move him to third. At third, I believe he would be a Gold Glove candidate.
    Reds have plenty of 3B options on the horizon. EdE is signed through 2010 -- that's not changing. Then, Frazier, Francisco, Soto. There's no guarantee Wood's going to be better than all of those guys.

    He's been playing 3B/1B at Salt Lake -- not SS. Know who their SS is? Gary Patchett, 29-year-old career minor leaguer who came up with the Reds -- a nonprospect if there ever was one. Why do you think LA is doing that, if Wood profiles as a major league SS?

    Wood has played in the California League, the Texas League, and now the PCL. All very favorable hitter's leagues. Check out his home/road splits this year in Salt Lake, too. You have to see his minor league #s through that lens -- he is not as dominating a hitter as the stats suggest on the surface.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  7. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,713

    Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

    FWIW, the sense I get from the articles is that the Reds are not looking right now for a young player who could be good in the future. I think they are looking at this from the perspective of a .500 team only 3 games out of first.

    My guess is the Reds are willing to give up one good young player to get back a veteran hitter for the bench. Or perhaps a shortstop, but not a kid, rather a veteran who is an upgrade, without a long term commitment.

    It's not an accident they have 13 pitchers. I think the Reds feel that their 25th player is a pitcher because they have better pitchers for the slot than hitters. They'd rather have Fisher or Roenicke or Burton on the roster than any hitter at AAA right now.

    Perhaps they want to swap that "extra" 13th pitcher for a veteran position player -- a fifth bench player or stop gap starting player.

    So I expect a trade of one good young Red, possibly Fisher or Roenicke or Burton or Viola, for a veteran bench player or an older shortstop without a big contractual commitment. Maybe the Reds add a second-tier prospect too.

    I'd be shocked if they trade for a Holliday. I'd be surprised if they trade for a young guy like Wood right now. Maybe in the off-season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-30-2009 at 10:34 AM.

  8. #67
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,440

    Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

    Delmon Young and Brandon Wood. Especially if Young has any options left. Young, Dickerson/Stubbs/Heisey, Bruce could be a dandy OF. Wood could solidify the IF for a decade.

    I'd quietly make Alonso available for the right return. La Porta got traded, he can be moved for the right deal.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  9. #68
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,626

    Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    He's been playing 3B/1B at Salt Lake -- not SS. Know who their SS is? Gary Patchett, 29-year-old career minor leaguer who came up with the Reds -- a nonprospect if there ever was one. Why do you think LA is doing that, if Wood profiles as a major league SS?
    "He's 6-3 with soft hands and quick feet. He's a natural down there at first. But he's a little concerned, I think, that people might start to think he's not a shortstop. Believe me, he can play short in the big leagues. No question in my mind." - Sean Rodriguez on Brandon Wood

    http://lylemspencer.mlblogs.com/arch..._horizons.html

    Why are the Angels playing Wood at third and a spattering of games at first base? Because the Angels see slick Erik Aybar as a potential Rafael Furcal and their future at shortstop. The Angels wisely see Wood as strengthening their prospects at areas of weakness rather than log jamming a position of strength and depth. Wood can play shortstop, but because of the Angels' depth at the position, he will has been moved to third.

    Does it mean Wood can't play short because he has played a few games at first? Not a bit of evidence there to prove anything. The Angels have a greater need at first base and it is excellent organizational procedure to give him experience at a position in which he may be needed. Remember the Angels being forced to use a young Howie Kendrick at first base in the American League playoffs couple a of years ago.

    Circumstances have caused a position change for Wood and not his lack of ability to play shortstop.

    Wood has played in the California League, the Texas League, and now the PCL. All very favorable hitter's leagues.
    It seems this would skew numbers of hundreds of prospects. And, I'm not sure I would classify the Texas League as "very" hitter freindly league. He played his home games at spacious Ray Winder Field with its very high fences.

    Check out his home/road splits this year in Salt Lake, too. You have to see his minor league #s through that lens -- he is not as dominating a hitter as the stats suggest on the surface.
    I've seen this year's splits and am not sure half a season sample is terribly compelling evidence.

    Besides, my argument is that he can play shortstop. I've seen Hairston play the position. I've read plenty of suggestions that Brandon Phillips should be moved there or that Julio Lugo should be acquired. I believe Wood would be a better option for the Reds. And, I'm not basing my opinion on assumptions gleaned from circumstantial evidence. It has been a couple of years, but I have seen him at shortstop many times.
    Last edited by Spitball; 06-30-2009 at 12:56 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  10. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Delmon Young and Brandon Wood. Especially if Young has any options left. Young, Dickerson/Stubbs/Heisey, Bruce could be a dandy OF. Wood could solidify the IF for a decade.

    I'd quietly make Alonso available for the right return. La Porta got traded, he can be moved for the right deal.
    I like your targets. However, Alonso's value right now is pretty low considering his injury and slow start in AA. I'm certainly not averse to trading him, but I think I'd give him some time to recover and improve his value. I do however think it's a great time to sell high on Stubbs or Heisey- especially for one of the guys you mentioned.
    Go BLUE!!!

  11. #70
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

    From Buster Olney:

    Red smoke signals

    The Reds have been fishing around for a right-handed hitter for weeks, and they continue to look around, rival executives say. But they also are sending signals that they don't have a lot of money with which to make a deal, which leaves them in a bind. They could try to make a dollar-for-dollar trade -- trading one player for another player with a similar salary -- but it might be difficult for them to actually upgrade their lineup that way. They could ask other teams to absorb some salary of a player like a Jermaine Dye or a Matt Holliday, but that would require the Reds to give up a larger package of young talent, something they're reluctant to do. No, in the end, the Reds will probably be left with the choice of busting their budget to take a chance on someone like a Dye or a Holliday, or making marginal upgrades.

    The Reds are definitely looking, writes John Fay. Paul Daugherty wonders if the Reds can be bold. As Fay mentions, Josh Willingham makes sense for the Reds, but he also makes sense for a lot of other teams, as well, including the Mets.

    http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...3dolney_buster
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  12. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,424

    Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

    Brandon Wood's games by position the last 7 days in Salt lake: 3B: 4, SS: 2, 1B: 1....Salt Lake's only other decent infielder is Kendrick who is a 2B. The only argument you (Lolly) are using for him not being a SS is that he is big...the only SS on the Reds that Wood may not be as good defensively as, or have a little less range than, is Janish (offensively, he is superior to all Red's SS). He has always been regarded as having the ability to be a SS in MLB. There is so much to like about the 'kid' that I think the Reds should at least place a call and see what the Angels are asking for in return.

    Bum

  13. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,126

    Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

    "He's 6-3 with soft hands and quick feet. He's a natural down there at first. But he's a little concerned, I think, that people might start to think he's not a shortstop. Believe me, he can play short in the big leagues. No question in my mind." - Sean Rodriguez on Brandon Wood
    That's his buddy talking, not a scout.

    Why are the Angels playing Wood at third and a spattering of games at first base? Because the Angels see slick Erik Aybar as a potential Rafael Furcal and their future at shortstop. The Angels wisely see Wood as strengthening their prospects at areas of weakness rather than log jamming a position of strength and depth. Wood can play shortstop, but because of the Angels' depth at the position, he will has been moved to third.
    What if Aybar gets hurt? Or traded (there have been runors)? The fact is, Wood has FAR more value as a SS than as a 3B or 1B. Why would the Angels diminish his value while in the minors by taking him off the position?

    Why are the Angels playing Wood at third and a spattering of games at first base? Because the Angels see slick Erik Aybar as a potential Rafael Furcal and their future at shortstop. The Angels wisely see Wood as strengthening their prospects at areas of weakness rather than log jamming a position of strength and depth. Wood can play shortstop, but because of the Angels' depth at the position, he will has been moved to third.
    If he's splattering over there at 1st, I guess it means he can't play there, either.

    He's not needed at 1B -- young Kendry Morales is having himself a fine year in the bigs.

    Again, why not keep him at SS and move Aybar to 2B? It maximizes Wood's value.

    I've seen Hairston play the position. I've read plenty of suggestions that Brandon Phillips should be moved there or that Julio Lugo should be acquired. I believe Wood would be a better option for the Reds. And, I'm not basing my opinion on assumptions gleaned from circumstantial evidence. It has been a couple of years, but I have seen him at shortstop many times.
    Not arguing that the Reds have a superb option at the major leagues now, though Janish can field the position. If it's been years since you've seen Wood there, it's possible he has followed the path that some thought he would -- getting bigger, filling out, losing the necessary range to be a big leaguer there. That process may be underway, and it's only going to continue.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  14. #73
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Buster Olney:
    As Fay mentions, Josh Willingham makes sense for the Reds, but he also makes sense for a lot of other teams, as well, including the Mets.
    The Mets have absolutely nothing to trade at this point, unless they want to part with Martinez. The cupboard is bare. Now word is that Beltran could be out for the year because he might need microfracture surgery on his knee, so if they were really searching for a bat and CF replacement it would make more sense to go for Vernon Wells or Alex Rios.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

  15. #74
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,642

    Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

    Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    The Mets have absolutely nothing to trade at this point, unless they want to part with Martinez. The cupboard is bare. Now word is that Beltran could be out for the year because he might need microfracture surgery on his knee, so if they were really searching for a bat and CF replacement it would make more sense to go for Vernon Wells or Alex Rios.
    If they're willing to trade us just the empty cupboard, I'd send them back Willy Taveras.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  16. #75
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,402

    Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Buster Olney:

    Red smoke signals

    The Reds have been fishing around for a right-handed hitter for weeks, and they continue to look around, rival executives say. But they also are sending signals that they don't have a lot of money with which to make a deal, which leaves them in a bind. They could try to make a dollar-for-dollar trade -- trading one player for another player with a similar salary -- but it might be difficult for them to actually upgrade their lineup that way. They could ask other teams to absorb some salary of a player like a Jermaine Dye or a Matt Holliday, but that would require the Reds to give up a larger package of young talent, something they're reluctant to do. No, in the end, the Reds will probably be left with the choice of busting their budget to take a chance on someone like a Dye or a Holliday, or making marginal upgrades.

    The Reds are definitely looking, writes John Fay. Paul Daugherty wonders if the Reds can be bold. As Fay mentions, Josh Willingham makes sense for the Reds, but he also makes sense for a lot of other teams, as well, including the Mets.

    http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...3dolney_buster
    DeRosa is making $5.5 mil, without knowing the context of the deal, it would seem that money wasn't an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25