Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds looking for right handed bat

Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    DeRosa is making $5.5 mil, without knowing the context of the deal, it would seem that money wasn't an issue.
    I heard a rumor that it was Maloney + a PTBNL with Stewart on the list. I don't think money was the issue at all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I heard a rumor that it was Maloney + a PTBNL with Stewart on the list. I don't think money was the issue at all.
    Trading Stewart for DeRosa would have been an awful deal.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

In that case I'm very glad it didn't go through.

I can't see the Indians declining that deal, which leads me to believe that that rumor doesn't have much legs.

So yeah, don't think money is going to be that big of an issue. The Reds could be saying it just so people think they aren't players for a guy like Holliday.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

DeRosa is making $5.5 mil, without knowing the context of the deal, it would seem that money wasn't an issue.

It'd only have been half of that.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Trading Stewart for DeRosa would have been an awful deal.
    x2. Maloney I would do. Stewart, no chance.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    That's his buddy talking, not a scout.
    So, what have you got? Show us a first person account from a friend, foe, or whatever saying he can't play shortstop. Rodriguez is also in competition with Wood. .

What if Aybar gets hurt? Or traded (there have been runors)? The fact is, Wood has FAR more value as a SS than as a 3B or 1B. Why would the Angels diminish his value while in the minors by taking him off the position?
    How in the world would it lessen his value to expose him to other positions? Is he suppose to forget how to play short? Besides, the Angels are trying to win their division and in the event of an injury to any infielder might need Wood to fill in at a given position. The name of the game is to win games at the major league level. Right now, Wood is insurance and not a trading chip. If he becomes a trading chip, there is no chance his value will be diminished by time at first or third.

If he's splattering over there at 1st, I guess it means he can't play there, either.
    By "spattering" (no "l"), I mean a game here and there.

He's not needed at 1B -- young Kendry Morales is having himself a fine year in the bigs.
    Morales is finally producing offensively, but he is not a very good defender. Besides, as I said, Wood is currwently injury insurance. Morales could get hurt.

Again, why not keep him at SS and move Aybar to 2B? It maximizes Wood's value.
    Aybar is the superior defender and his future is at shortstop. Kendrick is their second baseman of the future. Current third baseman Figgins is in the last year of his contract and Wood has more value to th Angels as a third baseman.

That does not mean Wood can't play shortstop. It means the Angels have a greater need for his skills at positions besides shortstop. That is all it means and any other translation is purely conjecture.

Not arguing that the Reds have a superb option at the major leagues now, though Janish can field the position.
    ???

If it's been years since you've seen Wood there, it's possible he has followed the path that some thought he would -- getting bigger, filling out, losing the necessary range to be a big leaguer there. That process may be underway, and it's only going to continue.
    That is just another assumption. This could be assumed of any shortstop prospect
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Man Pills

All this kvetching about upgrading the offense: you are paying attention to this team's starting pitching, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    All this kvetching about upgrading the offense: you are paying attention to this team's starting pitching, right?
    You do realize we are currently being no hit, right?
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Man Pills

You do realize we are currently being no hit, right?
    By the best pitcher in the NL. It happens. Votto and EdE's presence are almost certainly enough to boost the offense. Right now, the rotation is a slumping Cueto, a terrible Arroyo, a poor Owings, a slumping/mediocre Harang (with no relief-duty excuse to fall back on), and Homer freakin' Bailey.

That rotation's a recipe for a 5-17 July if there ever was one.

By the best pitcher in the NL. It happens. Votto and EdE's presence are almost certainly enough to boost the offense. Right now, the rotation is a slumping Cueto, a terrible Arroyo, a poor Owings, a slumping/mediocre Harang (with no relief-duty excuse to fall back on), and Homer freakin' Bailey.

That'll happen when you lose your best pitcher.

Man Pills

That'll happen when you lose your best pitcher.
    Sure, but that's the reality.

How much you willing to put on that???

Sure, but that's the reality.
    And which is why I would be looking for pitching for the next couple of years instead of a bat. Heck, if Alonso is going to ready by the end of next year I'd dangle Votto for a decent long term pitching solution.
    This place use to be fun

Assuming that this is true, sometimes in PTBNL deals, there are more than one list. Say one to be used if DeRosa gets hurt or rides the bench, one for if he plays everyday, one if DeRosa hits certain statistical milestones, and maybe even one if he leads the Reds to the post-season. I have a feeling that if Stewart was on a list, it would be one of the last ones.

Funny football story about a deal like that.

Back in the 80's the Oilers traded RB Rob Carpenter to the Giants. I believe the deal was that if he got 750 yards that season the Oilers were to get a 2nd round draft pick, less than 750, a third. He had 751 on the final day at the end of the game. With just a few seconds left, instead of the QB just kneeling, he handed it off to Carpenter, who was stopped for a three yard loss. He finished with 748 yards, and the Oilers got a 3rd round pick.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Turn Off Ads?