Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds looking for right handed bat

Senor Votto

Re: Reds looking for right handed bat

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr View Post
    And which is why I would be looking for pitching for the next couple of years instead of a bat. Heck, if Alonso is going to ready by the end of next year I'd dangle Votto for a decent long term pitching solution.
    I don't know about that. The Reds will have good starting pitching prospects in Wood and Leake (some others that I can't think of). If Bailey continues to improve he could very well be a good 3rd starter. Then you'll have a rotation looking something like:

Cueto
    Volquez
    Bailey
    Wood
    ?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    By the best pitcher in the NL. It happens. Votto and EdE's presence are almost certainly enough to boost the offense. Right now, the rotation is a slumping Cueto, a terrible Arroyo, a poor Owings, a slumping/mediocre Harang (with no relief-duty excuse to fall back on), and Homer freakin' Bailey.

That rotation's a recipe for a 5-17 July if there ever was one.
    If the Reds go 5-17 in July, I will change my name to chicrazy and become a huge Cubs fan.

It's the offense. But Dusty thinks EE needs another week or two. In fact, he got the night off Tuesday DURING his rehab stint.

awe. some.

A 1-2-3-4 of Dickerson, EE, Votto, BP is pretty good. even breaks up the LH's because we know how important that is. 5-6-7-8 could be Bruce, Nix/Gomes, Hernandez/Hanigan, Janish.

That isn't a horrible offense. It isn't a horrible defense either.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Elijah Dukes has been optioned to Triple-A. If I were Walt, I would go after him. He's willing to take a walk, has big time power potential, and he just recently turned 25 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Elijah Dukes has been optioned to Triple-A. If I were Walt, I would go after him. He's willing to take a walk, has big time power potential, and he just recently turned 25 years old.
    They sent Dukes to AAA to instead of cutting Kearns?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

By the best pitcher in the NL. It happens. Votto and EdE's presence are almost certainly enough to boost the offense. Right now, the rotation is a slumping Cueto, a terrible Arroyo, a poor Owings, a slumping/mediocre Harang (with no relief-duty excuse to fall back on), and Homer freakin' Bailey.
    Slumps happen, even for pitchers. Overreacting when one does is usually a sign of a badly run front office.

Unless you think that Cueto's talent has suddenly deserted him, you don't trade for someone to fill his spot in the rotation. Ditto Harang. Owings is what Owings is -- a more than competent 5th starter. Bailey is a placeholder until Volquez gets right.

I'm not saying ignore the starting pitching -- but I think the odds are a lot longer on finding a better starting pitcher than they already have than the odds are of finding a better bat at 3b, lf or ss than they already have.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

That rotation's a recipe for a 5-17 July if there ever was one.
    Oh gosh...I guess we ought to just release the entire starting rotation and start over again. Let's just forfeit the rest of the season because if they pitch for the Reds they must be junk.

I mean, they all suck so bad and are awful pitchers...or at least that's what I've been hearing non-stop in your posts.

It's tiresome. Really.

The starting rotation has it's issues no doubt. It's not perfect, nor do I pretend that it is. But your constant harping on the subject misses the mark as to what the Reds priority problems are right now.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 07-01-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Oh gosh...I guess we ought to just release the entire starting rotation and start over again. Let's just forfeit the rest of the season because if they pitch for the Reds they must be junk.

I mean, they all suck so bad and are awful pitchers...or at least that's what I've been hearing non-stop in your posts.
    Agreed. FCB is treading slowly towards Aronchis territory.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    and don't forget he seems to have a bit of misogyny.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agreed. FCB is treading slowly towards Aronchis territory.
    Solid retort. I don't get it. A majority of the board rages on 1/9 of the starting lineup in virtually every thread, but my pointing out the obvious problems with this rotation have become tiresome (despite their unacknowledged truth).
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I have to share FCB's concerns with the rotation. Harang is no longer reliable, Cueto has been giving up dingers again, Arroyo is in a funk and has carpal tunnel, Owings is wild as a goose, and Bailey is getting his final tryout for the Reds. Volquez may not pitch again this season, and if he does, will he be effective? The Reds suddenly seem to be more desperate for a league average arm than they are a bat right now, esp. since most of the problem with the O is getting the right people on the field consistently.

A majority of the board rages on 1/9 of the starting lineup in virtually every thread, but my pointing out the obvious problems with this rotation have become tiresome (despite their unacknowledged truth).
    So your constant pounding on the staff is just your obtuse way of providing counter balance to your perception that a majority of the board rages on the linup?

And no, you are not spouting the unacknowledged "truth".

Solid retort. I don't get it. A majority of the board rages on 1/9 of the starting lineup in virtually every thread, but my pointing out the obvious problems with this rotation have become tiresome (despite their unacknowledged truth).
    Don't you see what you just did? You just lit the Willy T fuse.

Nice work.

Reds starting rotation may have concerns ... so do 25 or so other teams around the league. The Reds are better of than most of them.

Aaron Harang is on pace to throw 200+ innings, has a 113 ERA+, and 21 BB/80 K ratio. He still looks like the same old reliable Aaron Harang to me.

Turn Off Ads?