Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Off day daydreamming

Off day daydreamming

I was just thinking about how little attention the Reds are getting.Not just nationally but local as well.Most of us here are big fans so some of us are excited about this team and their chances to make the playoffs.To the casual fan though they just see a team that looses half their games.A team that might get hot for a week or 2 but then give back any ground they've made up by going very cold.Nothing for them to get excited about and I can't blame them even though this team really could make the playoffs.

Seems like making the playoffs are the end all be all of judging the Reds season(this is debatable considering how bad we have been).This being the case then it wouldn't be a successful season this year if the Reds struggle along as they are playing around .500 baseball until August then get a little hot by playing 6 or seven games over .500 in September and winning the division.I would very quickly answer yes.It would be painful at times and probably never inspire the town of Cincinnati to fill the stadium up and jump on the band wagon but it would be the playoffs.Even though we won a bad division and struggled a lot during the year.

Here's my question.Wouldn't it be better to have a great season like in 99 and not make the playoffs?I remember that season as one where everyone was talking about the Reds.I enjoyed an entire season of winning baseball and I'd bet there were a lot of new converted Reds fans that season.The Reds were at many points during the season the talk of baseball.It was very disappointing to not make the playoff and I was very upset for a while about it.But as time went buy I was very grateful that the Reds competed all season long.Every night I looked forward to the game .For the entire regular season(witch is a very long time) I enjoyed Reds baseball.

To answer my own question I have to say that I'd rather make the playoffs.There is a chance to win the World Series even if you are the worse team there.The likely hood that we would loose in the first round and end up just as disappointed as not making the playoffs makes this a hard decision though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Off day daydreamming

"Excited" is not quite the word.

"Still interested," is more accurate.

But if the all-star break passes, Walt still hasn't made a deal, and the Reds start to sink?

..Cable gets canceled, and "we'll get em' next year again."

Tough call if I'm Walt. I'd be tempted to wait and see how EE does when he returns. History says EE hits a ton July - Sept. There's your right handed bat!

Do we really want to give up next year's pitching strength to find a left fielder? And will that left fielder really outproduce a Nix/Gomes platoon?

Holiday, yes. But can he be resigned? Tough, tough call. If I'm Walt, I'm really pulling for EE and then Hairston becomes a right handed platoon player in the outfield against left handed pitching. Once in a while for Bruce, once in a while for Taveras, etc.

The question was meant as a hypothetical question.I was only using 99 and this year as an example.You guys talk about whatever you want though.:all_cohol

Yes were only a few game out, but the team is pretty average right now. We've been hoverng around .500 for some time now. I think its gonna take a 6-7 game winning streak to really get the city to notice that the Reds are in contention this year.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

Turn Off Ads?