Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting conversation...

Interesting conversation...

I'm not trying to start a long back and forth thread. I'm just passng along hearsay. I have a friend who went to college with some people in the Reds front office. We were texting and he asked me if I knew who Matt Holliday was. So I call him... We chat a bit about it and basically from his "source" aka buddy... yada yada... The A's have been calling the Reds trying to make a deal. I guess the deal revolves around EdE. I m not sure that makes sense unless... 1) They are going after Wiggington as a 3B replacement. 2) Beane thinks EdE will be a type A FA in 2 years or he can flip him next year for more prospects. 3) They are moving EdE to open 3B for Frazier next year. Also the A's want some LHP in AAA. I am guessing Viola and they also want Chris Dickerson. Take it for what it's worth. My guy isn't a Baseball fan at all, so I don't have much reason not to belive him but you never know. Just passing along info.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Interesting conversation...

lot of movement for a baseball trade.

Although if they were going after Derosa it does kinda fit.

This exact trade was being discussed in the ORG, not sure if it's merely coincidence.

I would definitely consider trading HIGH on EdE right now, especially if the Reds are high on Frazier.
    If they made this trade, would they consider bringing up Frazier this year?

I would think Beane might be interested in Maloney, where his fly balls become quiet outs in Oakland instead of souveniers in GABP.

If we could sign the guy long-term, I'd be all about it.

For a rental, I couldn't give that much up.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

The Reds have some good young players. I would not be surprised if the A's are calling them. That doesn't help the Reds enough, unless they also have 3bman lined up.

Ed E,Dickerson and probably some middle tier prospect for Holliday basically.I'd bite in a second especially if the Reds got Wiggington in a reasonably good trade that didn't require a top tier prospect or pitching.Hope your source is on to something.

I mean this is probably 100% made up because this would give the team 3 LFers and no real upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I mean this is probably 100% made up because this would give the team 3 LFers and no real upgrade.
    It could be. Like I said just an interesting conversation.

As far as 3 LF goes. No so much with Dickerson gone. Nix would be the 4th OF. Gomes your super pinch hitter. Hariston super sub or your 3B. Hanigan, Janish backups.

This trade doesn't answer the hole at 3B or SS but who knows. Maybe the Reds see it as an oppurtunity to compete this year and if they fall short they still get Type A compensation with 2 addtional players that have higher ceilings than Maloney/Viola and Dickerson or all this could be complete BS. Don't know. Interesting to think about though.

Haha, as much as this is probably patent hearsay, I cant help myself from getting excited about it. I would love the deal. Count me out of the camp of EdE apologists and supporters. If we can get value for him in a trade, I think thats better than waiting for him to produce value at the plate.

Stat geek...and proud

I don't buy this for one second. But if it did happen there is no way he signs with the Reds long term. Zero chance.

I dont like the idea of parting with Dickerson because that would put WT back in the lineup full time. However, Holliday is the type of player that could push us to the top of the Central. Either way you cut it the Reds are winners. They make a run this year, and it doesnt mortgage ot future (with this proposed deal).

the only way i make this deal is if we can sign him to a long term deal

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanIN View Post
    I dont like the idea of parting with Dickerson because that would put WT back in the lineup full time. However, Holliday is the type of player that could push us to the top of the Central. Either way you cut it the Reds are winners. They make a run this year, and it doesnt mortgage ot future (with this proposed deal).
    We're not winning this year and Dickerson is a good 4th OF option for when Stubbs and/or Heisey is called up. Stubbs is the CF for the future so losing Dickerson is no huge loss.

If we gave up EE, Viola, and Dickerson for Holliday, I'd crap my pants. I'm not a big fan of getting Holliday unless we sign him long term, but if we're buying in 4 weeks and he's a rental, then I'd seriously consider it. I still don't think I would pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanIN View Post
    Too bad that Taveras is so bad that he kills trade ideas even when he isn't involved.Who knows though maybe be trade for a new CF as well.While we're at it we could also use a SS and 3B.Get to work Walt!!

I would cuz 3B is maybe the deepest position in the Reds minor leagues right now with guys like Frazier, Francisco and Soto so losing EdE would be no huge loss and dickerson and viola are spot starters at best. But if we can sign him long term then i would pull the trigger in a second.

Turn Off Ads?