Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Goodness whats gone wrong for Austin Kearns?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

My Goodness whats gone wrong for Austin Kearns?

His value over replacement player (VORP) rating is minus-3.8, meaning the Nationals could have scored 3.8 more runs this season with a readily available replacement player off the street than they could have with Kearns in the lineup. The figure is 734th among 844 players ranked by Baseball Prospectus, just behind Wil Nieves (who is making $445,000 this year) and ahead of only Ronnie Belliard on the Nationals' roster.

Full Article: Washington Times
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My Goodness whats gone wrong for Austin Kearns?

too much playstation

Maybe I am oversimplifying things but wasn't he good at first, then got pudgy, then he wasn't good anymore?

...and aren't he and Dunn good friends?

RAY KING!!!

He has sucked hard since the big man fell on him. Maybe it's a huge psychological issue, and now he just thinks he's a little man.

One of the biggest flops since Kal Daniels...or Willie Green...or Brandon Larson...or...(insert most Bengals #1 picks)

Maybe he just hates playing for the Nationals and wants traded.

On any other team he would be in AA or AAA

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

First 58 games of 2003 he looked like Manny Ramirez. Everything was raked. He couldn't be stopped. I really thought we had a force as a right handed hitter that would change a lot about our organization. And then one thing after another continued to happen to this kid
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

It is really sad to see him perform this poorly. Obviously playing for Washington I don't ever get to see him play, but he really does look out of shape. I don't remember him having work ethic problems when he was coming up but maybe something has happened (injury related or something else).

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    RAY KING!!!

He has sucked hard since the big man fell on him. Maybe it's a huge psychological issue, and now he just thinks he's a little man.

One of the biggest flops since Kal Daniels...or Willie Green...or Brandon Larson...or...(insert most Bengals #1 picks)
    Kal Daniels was not a flop, he got hurt yet still had a pretty good career.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I'm at a loss to even attempt explaining what happened to him. He looked like a can't-miss guy when he came up with the Reds. In hindsight, it's amazing how little he and Dunn accomplished when it once looked like they were going to be the cornerstones of a great lineup.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I'm at a loss to even attempt explaining what happened to him. He looked like a can't-miss guy when he came up with the Reds. In hindsight, it's amazing how little he accomplished when it once looked like he was going to be the cornerstones of a great lineup.
    FFY.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I'm at a loss to even attempt explaining what happened to him. He looked like a can't-miss guy when he came up with the Reds. In hindsight, it's amazing how little he and Dunn accomplished when it once looked like they were going to be the cornerstones of a great lineup.
    I think Dunn's accomplished quite a bit as a hitter. Can't fault him cause the Reds GMs continually gave him crap for a pitching staff and a cheap skate owner unwilling to even loosen the purse strings even a little bit. Not many guys can say they will get you 40 HRs, near 100 RBIs, 100 Runs scored (03-07), and 100 BBs for the past 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I think Dunn's accomplished quite a bit as a hitter. Can't fault him cause the Reds GMs continually gave him crap for a pitching staff and a cheap skate owner unwilling to even loosen the purse strings even a little bit. Not many guys can say they will get you 40 HRs, near 100 RBIs, 100 Runs scored (03-07), and 100 BBs for the past 5 years.
    That was more of a "collective" comment based on the team results. Dunn's always been productive -- and I've been a fan; used to honor him with my screen name here -- but he never maximized his run-producing potential or carried a winning team. Despite his numbers, there was virtually no market for him via free agency. In hindsight, I don't think anyone would have seen that coming for him or Kearns 6 or 7 years ago.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Kearns had a questenable work ethic when he was with the Reds and is and always was not in the shape he should be in. Kearns is now just not very good.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I was so mad when we traded away Kearns. He was young, he had power, and he had a rocket for an arm in right. Felipe and Kearns were two of my favorite Reds at the time, and I was still mad about that a year later. But, Kearns has done absolutely nothing since. Still wish we had Felipe, though. He's batted close to .300 since the time he left.

Turn Off Ads?