Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Former lightweight champ Alexis Arguello dead...

Former lightweight champ Alexis Arguello dead...

He was a great champion several years ago. I understand he was found with a gunshot wound to the chest.

The 57-year-old Arguello retired in 1995 with a record of 82-8 with 65 knockouts and was a champion in three weight divisions. He was perhaps best known for two thrilling battles with Aaron Pryor and fights with Ray Mancini, Bobby Chacon and Ruben Olivares.
    Aaron Pryor, I believe he was from Cincy, fought a couple of very memorable fights with the guy. The first fight (about 1981), won by Pryor, was considered suspicious because of Pryor's trainer reportedly gave him an illegal "upper" of some sort sometime in the later rounds. In the rematch, I believe Prior knocked him out in the later rounds.
    Last edited by Spitball; 07-01-2009 at 02:26 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Former lightweight champ Alexis Arguello dead...

I meant to post this on the "non-sports" forum, but I guess this will do.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I meant to post this on the "non-sports" forum, but I guess this will do.
    Boxing isn't a sport?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I would call it a circus now!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Boxing isn't a sport?
    Well, yes, boxing is a sport, but this one would be filed under "Famous Dead People". Maybe we need a seperate forum.

...and, technically, he was a former boxer. Most recently he had been a political figure and had been the mayor of Managua, Nicaragua, at the time of his death.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    He was a great champion several years ago. I understand he was found with a gunshot wound to the chest.

Aaron Pryor, I believe he was from Cincy, fought a couple of very memorable fights with the guy. The first fight (about 1981), won by Pryor, was considered suspicious because of Pryor's trainer reportedly gave him an illegal "upper" of some sort sometime in the later rounds. In the rematch, I believe Prior knocked him out in the later rounds.
    The first one was not just memorable, it is one of the greatest Welterweight fights of all time. I think there are clips of it out there- it's amazing how intense it was from the opening bell to the knockdown in the 14th that ended it. It's a shame it was tainted by the thing with the supposed uppers in Pryor's water bottle.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    The first one was not just memorable, it is one of the greatest Welterweight fights of all time. I think there are clips of it out there- it's amazing how intense it was from the opening bell to the knockdown in the 14th that ended it. It's a shame it was tainted by the thing with the supposed uppers in Pryor's water bottle.
    Great fight era

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3VL2RX5fP4

I still can't believe it. They fought like that for almost 14 rounds.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I heard a report today that it may have been a suicide.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?