Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Reds should make a play for Jack Wilson

Re: The Reds should make a play for Jack Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Agreed on both counts, but Wilson sure does seem to like hitting in Cincinnati.

Any SS that tickle your trade bone, M2? Do you like Wood or is he a 3B in disguise? Do you like the idea of dealing for a last-year contract or would you be willing to pay pretty big (in terms of prospects) for someone like (my personal favorite) Stephen Drew?

Or do you think Jocketty should save his trading bullets and hold the course?
    I thought Wood was the right target back in April and I still do. Mind you, that's not the sort of deal that makes folks think the team is chasing after October glory (even if it might be more effective than some supposedly high profile moves).

If the Reds really wanted to go for it, I suppose a deal that involves a RH OF bat and a 3B or SS would be the thing for which they'd conserve their bullets, but I doubt the Reds would be willing to fire those bullets. I'm guessing a Bailey/Stubbs/Watson package could tempt some teams and put the Reds in a position to challenge in a division where no one's taking charge, but I expect the Reds will be sellers rather than buyers.

Which brings me back to Wood. A veteran arm (starter or reliever) might land him.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

The Reds don't have the payroll room to acquire both the offense and pitching necessary to make a serious run this season.

I'd pay a bit of Cordero's salary at the deadline and get back a massive MLB-ready bat. That's the route they need to take at the deadline. And find somewhere to dump Arroyo's salary (for no return). Then reload in the offseason in Arroyo's salary slot.

Acquiring some cipher like Jack Wilson should be the absolute last thing on Jocketty's mind.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 07-01-2009 at 07:39 PM.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I thought Wood was the right target back in April and I still do. Mind you, that's not the sort of deal that makes folks think the team is chasing after October glory (even if it might be more effective than some supposedly high profile moves).

If the Reds really wanted to go for it, I suppose a deal that involves a RH OF bat and a 3B or SS would be the thing for which they'd conserve their bullets, but I doubt the Reds would be willing to fire those bullets. I'm guessing a Bailey/Stubbs/Watson package could tempt some teams and put the Reds in a position to challenge in a division where no one's taking charge, but I expect the Reds will be sellers rather than buyers.

Which brings me back to Wood. A veteran arm (starter or reliever) might land him.
    How about Scott Hairston and Kevin Kouzmanoff? Then send off a player for Izturis or Wood from LAA. Combined those 3 players make less than EE and are not signed beyond this year young enough and experienced enough to help now and later. Kouzmanoffs power plays better in GABP and his defense I believe is much better than EE's.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Wood would be an excellent addition for now and the future. The problem as I see it is the organizational depth of the Angels. Yeah, they need pitching, but how badly? They were in dire need of bullpen help to bridge the gap to closer Fuentes, but suddenly, their pen has come around nicely. Speier, Oliver, and Bulger have been pretty darn effective in the last three weeks. I'm not saying they don't need depth beyond those three, but their need is not as urgent as it was earlier.

I believe they could use a starter, but Lackey, Saunders, Weaver, Palmer, and O'Sullivan have all been about as effective as anyone in the Reds rotation not named Cueto. I really believe the only Reds starter (not disabled or named Johnny) they would be interested in would be Harang. Would Wood be worth Harang alone? I'd say no, but I'd be interested if they'd throw in Trevor Reckling,who I've seen pitch twice this year. He is a lefty starter in Double A and in my opinion has a very nice future,
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?