Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dang Doug

Dang Doug

For those who don't know Doug was on Lance's show today. He'll probably have it podcasted at some point.

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

What's up with the pigeon holing of Frazier as a supersub Doug? You couldn't mention he is a viable option at 3rd specifically?

BTW I fed Lance the "overrated prospect" question and the "untouchables" question via e-mail. I said my untouchables were Alonso, Stewart, Frazier and Soto, after I sent it I realized I left Cozart off there.

My overrated prospects were Francisco & Stubbs, I also tossed Maloney in there but just because I figured the general public probably overrates him a bit. Or has at some point.

Also I'm taking Heisey ever so slightly over Stubbs currently.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-01-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dang Doug

While I really like Neftali Soto as a prospect, putting him in the untouchable category at this point seems a bit silly I think.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    While I really like Neftali Soto as a prospect, putting him in the untouchable category at this point seems a bit silly I think.
    I'd rather put him in there now and find out he's not later than the alternative which is trading him now only to see him blossom later for someone else. I have yet to see a good reason to think he won't be a very good player.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Doug on at the beginning of the podcast.

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/182...n_Local_Sports

Lance does a good job with who he interviews generally but that is the only reason I would listen to him. Generally I think his opinions stink
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Nice job DD.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

While I would love to see the Reds put Frazier at 3B, I just don't think they see it happening for whatever reason. That leaves Frazier's future as a likely super sub if he stays with the Reds. I don't see him getting playing time over Votto, Alonso or Bruce. He can't play SS/CF and apparently 3B (so the Reds seem to believe?).

As for the question you fed Lance, let me say this.... no one is untouchable, but the way it was asked was if three were untouchable, who would they be. Alonso is the closest untouchable for me because his bat is incredibly legit. Stewart is a high impact arm as a starter in my eyes and far and away the best pitching prospect we have and I don't think its really close at all. Cozart fills a huge need at a position we don't have any options for and can probably fill that need soon while potentially being above average there. Cozart isn't the 3rd best prospect we have (certainly top 10), but because of the organization, he made my list.

BTW, Lance caught me off today. He emailed me this morning asking about the show, but in the email he said can you come on Thursday at 4. I said sure and we talked a few topics and he said they would call me. Boy was I surprised when my phone rang at 4:01 and Nick Brunker was on the other end asking if I was ready to go on with Lance.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Doug, don't you know in showbiz Thursday actually means Wednesday? Time to catch up if you plan on making it big.

Nice job, Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    While I would love to see the Reds put Frazier at 3B, I just don't think they see it happening for whatever reason. That leaves Frazier's future as a likely super sub if he stays with the Reds. I don't see him getting playing time over Votto, Alonso or Bruce. He can't play SS/CF and apparently 3B (so the Reds seem to believe?).

As for the question you fed Lance, let me say this.... no one is untouchable, but the way it was asked was if three were untouchable, who would they be. Alonso is the closest untouchable for me because his bat is incredibly legit. Stewart is a high impact arm as a starter in my eyes and far and away the best pitching prospect we have and I don't think its really close at all. Cozart fills a huge need at a position we don't have any options for and can probably fill that need soon while potentially being above average there. Cozart isn't the 3rd best prospect we have (certainly top 10), but because of the organization, he made my list.

BTW, Lance caught me off today. He emailed me this morning asking about the show, but in the email he said can you come on Thursday at 4. I said sure and we talked a few topics and he said they would call me. Boy was I surprised when my phone rang at 4:01 and Nick Brunker was on the other end asking if I was ready to go on with Lance.
    Fair enough on Frazier, but all the more reason to tout him at 3B would be my feeling. The fact the Reds haven't played him much there doesn't neccessarily strike me as proof they don't think he can do it. I think the more likely explanation (and I thought Reynolds may have intimated it once in an interview) is that Frazier has the versatility to play several positions (whereas the other 3B prospects don't) and so he ends up doing so, but that he could move to 3rd at any point and pick it up relatively quickly. IMO if he's not a 3rd basemen he's a good not great prospect, seems foolish to purposely screw yourself out of a guy who has all the tools to play 3rd and whose bat projects their best of the positions he's capable of playing.

You have seen him play plenty Doug probably even at 3B do you see any good reason he cannot do it? We know he has the arm, the intelligence, the IF actions at a high level and the glove, what could he be missing?

BTW I agree with you on the untouchables thing, obviously none of those guys profiles as the type of player that you simply don't trade. If someone offered us a young impact player you trip over yourself parting with them. However Alonso, Cozart, Stewart and IMO Frazier and Soto at 3rd are as close as it gets for the Reds currently. There are other possibilities as well but it as it stands today that is how I'd feel. If you would have asked me that same question a year ago at this time Stewart would be replaced with Lotzkar and Cozart with Valaika (maybe). Not to say I don't like Valaika I still think he will make people change their thinking about him when they see him swing the bat, bats like his you find a spot for. I still think he can play SS at the major league level but am inclined to give him a look at 3rd now.

--Woody Hayes

I find it hard to believe that they dont think he can play 3rd when they spent so much time with him at short.

Not to mention Fransisco is there, well when he wasnt injured. I certainly seems weird that they dont play him in the infield much but that team doesnt seem to have any outfielders as it is.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I find it hard to believe that they dont think he can play 3rd when they spent so much time with him at short.

Not to mention Fransisco is there, well when he wasnt injured. I certainly seems weird that they dont play him in the infield much but that team doesnt seem to have any outfielders as it is.
    While you would think its hard to believe, its not all that often that a player moves the good direction on the spectrum. It seems that Frazier could play 3B, but the Reds seem to think differently.

As for the outfielders, they had enough to start the year. There was Heisey, Henry and Cumberland who all could have started while any number of guys could have played back up if the Reds wanted to get Frazier time on the infield.

Moral of the story is if Frazier can hit they will find a place for him to play. Frazier may be more refined than the other prospects and thats why he hasn't gotten much PT at 3b. Versatility may be his greatest attribute in his ability to play 3b, 2b, 1b, and LF. Right now the Reds don't have a MLB ready 1b. Think how much it would have helped the Reds this season had Frazier's bat been ready to spell Votto for 15+ games.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Moral of the story is if Frazier can hit they will find a place for him to play.
    Oh no, not this method again. Trying to plug round pegs into square holes isn't the issue. I'm getting flashbacks to the Reds trying to convert Austin Kearns to a thirdbasemen.

Wasn't Kearns drafted as an OF while Frazier was drafted as a SS? Much easier to go down the spectrum than it is up it.

Why can't Frazier be a better version of Mark DeRosa?
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Turn Off Ads?