Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brandon GIDP

Brandon GIDP

Sorry if this has already been discussed at length previously (which Im sure it has), but what is with Brandon Phillips' constantly hitting into double plays? I mean, seriously. It seems like he does it once a game. I did a quick stat search and found he is tied for 3rd in the NL in GIDP this year. I was actually surprised he wasnt 1st. He is also tied for 10th in the NL in Grounders, but not in the top 10 in groundball/flyball ratio. I dont know, just an observation I guess.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon GIDP

Hey i thought you were calling me out!

BP hits the ball hard up the middle. It leads to a lot of double plays. Every year he's in the top 10 in the NL in double plays because of the way he hits the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    BP hits the ball hard up the middle. It leads to a lot of double plays. Every year he's in the top 10 in the NL in double plays because of the way he hits the ball.
    I'd be interested to see the numbers on how many of his GIDPs are hard hit balls up the middle vs. standard grounders to the SS or 3B.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I think he's had quite a few 4-6-3s. When he's hitting it well, it seems like it's always a little right of the 2b bag, which could lead to some of those DPs too.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Correct me if i am wrong. But the games Ive seen the last couple years, BP seems to have a lot of balls he's trying to crush for the 5 run HR and ends up just rolling over it to ground weakly to SS or 3b. Rather than take a pitch the other way. Am I wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

You're right. However when you try to pull an outside pitch you usually end up topping it and pulling a ground ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Correct me if i am wrong. But the games Ive seen the last couple years, BP seems to have a lot of balls he's trying to crush for the 5 run HR and ends up just rolling over it to ground weakly to SS or 3b. Rather than take a pitch the other way. Am I wrong?
    DING

DING

This silly notion that "when he's hitting the ball well, he hits it hard up the middle, which turns into double plays" is ABSURD.

If he was "hitting the ball well up the middle" it would be a base hit.

He hits weak grounders because he tries to pull EVERYTHING.
    RHP's own him, they just pitch him a bit outside and he'll chase it.

Somehow he has done remarkably better against RHP thus far this year; I'm correlating it to "luck".

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

The GIDP's is a big issue but what about sliding into a base when youre 10 feet from it. last night was the 3rd time I remember. Didnt anyone teach him how to slide. Everything with BP has to be flashy. Just slide and slide hard.

Quote Originally Posted by winks View Post
    The GIDP's is a big issue but what about sliding into a base when youre 10 feet from it. last night was the 3rd time I remember. Didnt anyone teach him how to slide. Everything with BP has to be flashy. Just slide and slide hard.
    It's not a big issue this year as Taveras and Hairston aren't on base in front of him enough to create Double-Play situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Hairston aren't on base in front of him enough to create Double-Play situations.
    But now he's hitting behind Votto and his .450 OBP. There are going to be a ton of opportunities to hit into double plays.

I suggested at one point recently that Phillips should lead off when Votto got back.I was criticized pretty heavily for it.But I'll try here again.

Brandon should lead off!He seems like he has figured out how to get on base and him batting 1st would certainly eliminate some of the gidp's.He is fast and a SB threat.Dusty should love this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I suggested at one point recently that Phillips should lead off when Votto got back.I was criticized pretty heavily for it.But I'll try here again.

Brandon should lead off!He seems like he has figured out how to get on base and him batting 1st would certainly eliminate some of the gidp's.He is fast and a SB threat.Dusty should love this idea.
    Centerfielders lead off. Shortstops hit second. The two truths of major league baseball.

/Dusty

Yes, shortstops bat second, absolutely. But, here's another Dusty theory - Hanigan can't hit with runners on base. So, why doesn't he bat Hanigan second? With Taveras leading off, Dusty could put Hanigan in a position where he never hits with anyone on base.

Turn Off Ads?