Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Juan Duran?????

Juan Duran?????

I LOVED this signing last year. I am really pulling for this kid (if you can call a 6'5" 200 17 year old a kid).

I know the GLC reds are only a few games into the season, but Im curious as to why nobody is talking about him. He is currently 0-17 with a nice 5 walks (6 k) in 5 games. He will be 18 in just over 2 months.

Does anyone know how long he will be DH this year? I know he is rated off the charts in power, but I only see 1 HR in 46 games as a "pro". When will his power numbers begin to show?

Not trying to bash him, just trying to learn more about our farm system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Juan Duran?????

right now he is much like most young kids... he is not very disciplined at the plate and swings at bad pitches... from what I hear when he connects they are always line drives and high fly balls but right now his timing isn't down and his plate discipline need to improve

Quote Originally Posted by travisgrimes View Post
    right now he is much like most young kids... he is not very disciplined at the plate and swings at bad pitches... from what I hear when he connects they are always line drives and high fly balls but right now his timing isn't down and his plate discipline need to improve
    Plate discipline is his best asset right now. 5 BBs and 6 Ks? Thats great for a 16 year old
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Plate discipline is his best asset right now. 5 BBs and 6 Ks? Thats great for a 16 year old
    At the same time, that K rate is over 27% given his PA. Thats awfully high. Plate discipline doesn't always mean walks.

16 & 17 in the GLC. I don't care what the numbers are for he and Yorman this year. Just getting the experience is great at this point. I think he'll come on as the season goes by.

He's 17 years old. I'm not going to panic over a handful of atbats? I'll be concerned if he's still struggling two years from now. I honestly don't expect much out of Yorman or Duran this year. We have to remember, these kids would be sophomores or juniors in high school if they grew up in the United States. I'm sure Jay Bruce or Joey Votto would have struggled in the GCL at age 16/17.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

At age 16/17, Bruce and Votto were sophomores or juniors in high school

At age 16/17, Juan Duran was a professional baseball player playing in a different country for the first time

Calm down people, this is going to take some time

Who is freaking out?

Just curious about him. He is playing against alot of guys a year or 2 older than him (he will be 18 in september).

My main question i guess is when will he be healthy enough to play in the field? Has anyone seen video of him playing defence, or has he only been a DH his time here?

I really can't wait to see the kind of year he can put together when he "gets it"!

*Bump*

There was a report a while back that said Juan Duran had grew a couple more inches and a few folks were worried he was going to outgrow the outfield or increase his strikezone. Well, John Fay just tweeted this:

Official height on #Reds prospect Juan Duran is 6-6. I had heard conflicting numbers

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

Considering he's now 18 years old, he's probably done growing by now.

that's about the height we signed him at right? At least those 6'8" rumors aren't true yet

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    that's about the height we signed him at right? At least those 6'8" rumors aren't true yet
    Or maybe they are and the Reds are downing his height like they up some guys.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    *Bump*

There was a report a while back that said Juan Duran had grew a couple more inches and a few folks were worried he was going to outgrow the outfield or increase his strikezone. Well, John Fay just tweeted this:

Official height on #Reds prospect Juan Duran is 6-6. I had heard conflicting numbers

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

Considering he's now 18 years old, he's probably done growing by now.
    probably but David Robinson grew 6 inches in his first year at the Naval Academy. after that he wouldn't fit in a submarine!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Or maybe they are and the Reds are downing his height like they up some guys.
    If they are, they should immediately send him to Brian Price to see if he can teach him how to pitch -- because his days as an outfield prospect are probably over.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If they are, they should immediately send him to Brian Price to see if he can teach him how to pitch -- because his days as an outfield prospect are probably over.
    I had the same thought a few weeks ago. He's certainly young enough to make the transition.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    man I hope not. The exciting thing about his signing was how good of a hitter they made him out to be. Hopefully he sticks in the OF, but if not, maybe somewhere in the corner IF.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Turn Off Ads?