Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the 3 untouchables

the 3 untouchables

Kinda going off what Lance asked Doug (who by the way gave a great interview with Lance, Doug it was like you were speaking for me, I wouldve said everything you said and thats no lie)anyway, Lance's question was, "if a GM was wanting to trade with you what 3 minor league players would be untouchables?

Doug said (I agree) Alonso, Cozart, Stewart.

Im going to say add a 4th, mine would be Heisey right now. What say you.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: the 3 untouchables

I don't know if Heisey is "untouchable" but there would have to be a VERY good return if the Reds traded him. I've watched him play at Carolina. He knows how to play the game. He knows what he is doing at the plate...appears ready to give it a try on the big stage. But, I wouldn't rush him at this point just to see if he can make it. I think they are doing a good job by having him be successful at Louisville. If he and Stubbs continue what they are doing this year then the future outfield in Cincinnati looks to be strong for several years to come...especially if Dickerson continues to improve and Jay Bruce continues to settle in.

Senor Votto

I'd be willing to trade Alonso. The untouchables should be Frazier, Stewart, Wood, and Cozart

I'd be willing to trade any player on the major league or minor league roster if the return was right, of course some players are not going to generate the return that I'd want for them. If Votto can't play LF (well of course he can, I guess the question centers more around if someone else is brought in to play LF for the next 5 years, say Matt Holliday in a trade and signing window, not that I'm holding my breath), then Alonso is definently tradable, and I'd include him in that deal provided there was a 72 hour windor to negotiate a deal and get Matt signed to a 5 year deal.

Really Cozart due to position, one of Stubbs/Heisey and possibly Stewart are the only ones I'm not going to trade based upon performance/expectations and expected return. You can also throw in Yorman and Duran into that mix, simply because there is no way you invest that money last year, then flip them so quickly.

High five!

I don't think there should be any untouchables.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    For the right price I agree. There are several players that I wouldn't trade because they either play a premium position or I can't replace them. Here are the guys you would have to blow me away for:

Stewart - Has been better than expected. Don't know how good of a starter he can become but I am not trading him.

Cozart - Could be the answer to SS. Could challenge in ST next season. Has the glove and bat looks promissing.

Stubbs - Answer in CF. Defense, speed, and plate presence don't slump. I think he has more potential than Heisey therefore I am not trading the future CF.

Duran/Rodriguez/Soto - Young, raw, and uber talented. Am not trading them just yet.

+1

If Florida went on a 20 game losing streak starting right now and was shopping one Hanley Ramirez, and called the Reds to say that he would be theirs for Alonso, Cozart, and Soto, I think you make that trade faster than you can blink.

Everyone has a price- some price tags are just very high or only there for very specific deals :
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    For the right price I agree. There are several players that I wouldn't trade because they either play a premium position or I can't replace them. Here are the guys you would have to blow me away for:

Stewart - Has been better than expected. Don't know how good of a starter he can become but I am not trading him.

Cozart - Could be the answer to SS. Could challenge in ST next season. Has the glove and bat looks promissing.

Stubbs - Answer in CF. Defense, speed, and plate presence don't slump. I think he has more potential than Heisey therefore I am not trading the future CF.

Duran/Rodriguez/Soto - Young, raw, and uber talented. Am not trading them just yet.
    Why is everyone so sold on Stubbs. Aside from a brief stint at AA and AAA the guy has really never done anything. If I had to pick a future Reds outfield I would like to see it would be Frazier, Dickerson, and Heisey. My 3 untouchables would be Frazier, Heisey and and Cozart. Coddington would be close although I don't know much about him. Can anyone tell me how he picked up 8 errors behind the plate? Is he really bad defensively?

One the mound Wood, Fairel, and Stewart would be untouchable?

Absolutely no untouchables. Just remember names like Ryan Anderson, Ben Mcdonald, Alex Escobar.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Depends on management philosphy

Eveyone comes with a price, so if you think this way, no one is really "untouchable" in terms of trading, if the return is right.

However, the Reds really seem to be all about building from withing and only adding a piece here or there if absolutely needed. Adding Hernandes was absolutely needed, because catching depth was terrible, and though he wasn't highly thought of, he was an immediate upgrade.

Personally, I doubt other teams will get much out of Walt. I suspect Cleveland wanted one of our top 6 guys for DeRosa, and Walt just won't bite. Would it have helped in the short term? Sure, but not the long term. That is what makes me think that we won't be trading for a RHanded bat until will know for sure that Volquez is good to go, and then it will only be Arroyo, and I'm not sure he'll bring that great of one.

So, back to untouchables. I think there are several guys that Walt looks at and realizes that while they aren't stars, they will be very good role players to build around Votto, Bruce, Cueto, Volquez, and Bailey. It may take a couple more years to realize this vision, but I think in the long run, we will be pretty happy Walt didn't get trigger happy this season.

I agree that there are no untouchables because everyone has their price. That said when you have a truly special talent there no packages another team would realistically offer you that you would consider. We've had a couple of those special prospects lately with Cueto and Bruce, I don't think we have anyone on that level now.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Why is everyone so sold on Stubbs. Aside from a brief stint at AA and AAA the guy has really never done anything. If I had to pick a future Reds outfield I would like to see it would be Frazier, Dickerson, and Heisey. My 3 untouchables would be Frazier, Heisey and and Cozart. Coddington would be close although I don't know much about him. Can anyone tell me how he picked up 8 errors behind the plate? Is he really bad defensively?

One the mound Wood, Fairel, and Stewart would be untouchable?
    Plate presence, OBP, speed, and defense is why I am high on Stubbs. IMO he possesses the tools to be the everyday CF, win a couple of GG, lead off, and have a .370+ OBP. You just can't find those guys anywhere.

I would be more than willing to deal Alonso ... he has no place to play for the Reds.
    Last edited by flyer85; 07-02-2009 at 10:47 AM.

Untouchables doesnt really mean untouchable.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Untouchables doesnt really mean untouchable.
    Exactly, Untouchables these days just means don't ask unless you intend on parting with your very best.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?