Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public Enemies

Public Enemies

Has anyone seen this movie?

I've always been fascinated with the outlaw era so I was pretty pumped up for it, and I wasn't disappointed. Johnny Depp was perfect playing the role of John Dillinger, I couldn't imagine anyone more well suited.

There were a few parts where they took some liberties and painted a few things in a different light, but for the most part, it was actually fairly historically accurate, too.

I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it or is looking for a good one to go see.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Public Enemies

I'm going to see it Sunday. Our daughter is coming for a visit tomorrow and we plan to take in a minor league game on Saturday and catch the early show before she heads back home.

I have also always been interested in the John Dillinger era. My mom used to tell me stories about him when I was young and I was fascinated. Then, when I was in the sixth grade, I was in Lauriat's Bookstore in the North Shore Shopping Center when I found a book called The Dillinger Days by John Toland. It detailed so much of his life and many of the other outlaws of his time. In fact, many of the details for the 1967 movie Bonnie and Clyde came from the references made in the book about the Barrow gang.

I bought the book, a paperback, in 1965, and I still have it. It was 75 cents. I guess I'll probably reread it again before I go to see it on Sunday.
    Last edited by Spitball; 07-03-2009 at 01:31 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Going to see it later this weekend. My GF lives up in the neighborhood where a lot of it was filmed, so I'm excited to see familiar sites.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

How was Chrisitian Bale in the movie?
    Most Vottomatic Player

Bale is in the movie!?!? And I was looking forward to seeing this one.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Absolutely loved the movie. Thought Depp was amazing and Bale was pretty good also.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Part of the film was shot in Madison, Wisconsin. I know someone who lives there and was an extra who made an appearance in a courtroom scene.
    /r/reds

I love this genre of movie and I really enjoy Johnny Depp. I couldn't wait for the movie to come out and went on opening night. It was good, but was a little disappointed as I was expecting better. Depp was good, nothing special though, IMO. I just thought the movie dragged quite a bit and the plot moved along a bit too slowly.

A good move though. I just didn't think it will make it onto my list of movies I LOVE.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Who plays the role of Flava Flav?
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Good movie but very little character development and actually a very thin plot IMO. The movie played out like a documentary without the narration.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Good movie but very little character development and actually a very thin plot IMO. The movie played out like a documentary without the narration.
    Yeah, I think that's it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Christian Bale was my favorite actor right around the time the Machinist came out and previews for Batman Begins were starting to pop up, but the last 4-5 movies he's done he's chosen very light acting roles. It seems all he does nowadays is stand and talk in a gravely voice while robots or explosions go off around him. Wish he'd find a really meaty role again.

I just saw it and liked it a lot. I might recommend a little research on Dillinger before going to see it, though. I think I would have been missing a lot if I had not had some background knowledge going into the movie. Without some form of narration, the story leaves a bit too much to the dialogue and action.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    Christian Bale was my favorite actor right around the time the Machinist came out and previews for Batman Begins were starting to pop up, but the last 4-5 movies he's done he's chosen very light acting roles. It seems all he does nowadays is stand and talk in a gravely voice while robots or explosions go off around him. Wish he'd find a really meaty role again.
    I thought he was pretty outstanding in 3:10 to Yuma.

one of the more interesting fact of the Little Bohemia fiasco is that 3 patrons leaving the bar were shot by the FBI agents. Truly a different era, in this day the FBI would likely end up behind bars.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?