Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: Public Enemies

  1. #16
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,624

    Re: Public Enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    one of the more interesting fact of the Little Bohemia fiasco is that 3 patrons leaving the bar were shot by the FBI agents. Truly a different era, in this day the FBI would likely end up behind bars.
    Can you imagine government agents firing shots at a criminal coming out of a movie theater today???

    There are questions as to whether Dillinger was actually even armed that night.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    2,716

    Re: Public Enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    There are questions as to whether Dillinger was actually even armed that night.
    Some people even questioned whether or not it was actually Dillinger who they shot.

    He had recently had some crappy plastic surgery done. In addition, when his father was shown the corpse, he proclaimed "That's not my son!" although Dillinger's sister DID positively ID the corpse.

    You know that Hoover/Purvis would never have admitted to shooting the wrong guy, though. Not after all of their previous blunders. One can't help but wonder... maybe John Dillinger lived out his days in Cuba or somewhere? I doubt it, but never the less...
    Last edited by The Operator; 07-06-2009 at 12:37 PM.

  4. #18
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,312

    Re: Public Enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Can you imagine government agents firing shots at a criminal coming out of a movie theater today???

    There are questions as to whether Dillinger was actually even armed that night.
    I've read that he actually ran into an alley before they shot him, and that it wasn't on the street like the movie suggests. Who knows though.

    I thought the movie was pretty good though.

  5. #19
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,624

    Re: Public Enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Some people even questioned whether or not it was actually Dillinger who they shot.

    He had recently had some crappy plastic surgery done. In addition, when his father was shown the corpse, he proclaimed "That's not my son!" although Dillinger's sister DID positively ID the corpse.

    You know that Hoover/Purvis would never have admitted to shooting the wrong guy, though. Not after all of their previous blunders. One can't help but wonder... maybe John Dillinger lived out his days in Cuba or somewhere? I doubt it, but never the less...
    Yeah, that is a fun rumor. In 1965, there was even a man in California claiming to be Dillinger. I've also read rumors about Oregon.

    Jay Robert Nash, a respected author of many books on crime, claimed in his book Bloodletters and Badmen that that they shot Jimmy Lawrence, a small-time hoodlum from Wisconsin who had been set up by Dillinger's girlfriend and Anna Sage to take the hit instead of Dillinger.

    According to Nash, the dead man was much shorter and heavier than Dillinger and had none of his distinguishing marks. The autopsy report, according to Nash, stated that the corpse had brown eyes while Dillinger's were blue. Also, there was evidence of a lifelong rheumatic heart condition that conflicted with naval service records. Nash claims the plastic surgery reports were used to explain the fact the corpse did not really look Dillinger.

    Nash is apparently a respected criminal writer and expert, but I have to wonder about his theory. What would have happened if the Lawrence guy had simply thrown up his hands and said, "Don't shoot! You got me, coppers!" Wouldn't Anna Sage have been in a world of trouble then?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  6. #20
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,312

    Re: Public Enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Yeah, that is a fun rumor. In 1965, there was even a man in California claiming to be Dillinger. I've also read rumors about Oregon.

    Jay Robert Nash, a respected author of many books on crime, claimed in his book Bloodletters and Badmen that that they shot Jimmy Lawrence, a small-time hoodlum from Wisconsin who had been set up by Dillinger's girlfriend and Anna Sage to take the hit instead of Dillinger.

    According to Nash, the dead man was much shorter and heavier than Dillinger and had none of his distinguishing marks. The autopsy report, according to Nash, stated that the corpse had brown eyes while Dillinger's were blue. Also, there was evidence of a lifelong rheumatic heart condition that conflicted with naval service records. Nash claims the plastic surgery reports were used to explain the fact the corpse did not really look Dillinger.

    Nash is apparently a respected criminal writer and expert, but I have to wonder about his theory. What would have happened if the Lawrence guy had simply thrown up his hands and said, "Don't shoot! You got me, coppers!" Wouldn't Anna Sage have been in a world of trouble then?
    What about Dillinger's sister IDing him because of a tatoo on his leg? For me that one's hard to get around.

  7. #21
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,624

    Re: Public Enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    What about Dillinger's sister IDing him because of a tatoo on his leg? For me that one's hard to get around.
    Was it a tatoo? I have read it was a scar that she identified.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  8. #22
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    2,716

    Re: Public Enemies

    There's also the possibility that she ID'd a false corpse so as to keep her brother safe and on the loose.

    That being said, I still have my major doubts that it wasn't him, although it is fun to imagine those sorts of things. It's odd how you almost find yourself rooting for a criminal in some cases; although Dillinger was the most likable of any of the gangsters of that era, he was still vicious himself.

    But I also read that they attributed the eye color thing to head trauma or something like that. Again, it could be the FBI playing CYA.

    I doubt anyone will ever know for certain.

  9. #23
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    2,716

    Re: Public Enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Was it a tatoo? I have read it was a scar that she identified.
    It seems that I remember reading it was either a scar or a birthmark.

  10. #24
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,742

    Re: Public Enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Can you imagine government agents firing shots at a criminal coming out of a movie theater today???

    There are questions as to whether Dillinger was actually even armed that night.
    I went and saw where Dillinger was shot outside the Biograph a few years ago and it was pretty neat. The theater really hasnt changed that much and its kinda cool to see the alley where Dillinger died. There is nothing in the alley to note what happened and anyone who knew nothing of Dillinger who happened to be walking by would just think its just your typical normal alley.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: Public Enemies

    Thought it was a cool movie. Loved reading the "rumors" on here. I found myself rooting for him too and I intend on working in law enforcement lol


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25