Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds sign Venezeulan SS Humberto Valor

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Reds sign Venezeulan SS Humberto Valor

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I just wanted to use Valor and uncommon in a sentence. Having said that, who are the two? Rojas and Cozart?

I guess I forgot about Cozart, but I probably wouldn't put Rojas in that category until he can hit just a little bit.
    Yeah, those are the two. As for Rojas, he has hit well over the last 2+ months. Since April ended he has hit .271/.338/.362 with 21 walks and 19 strikeouts while hitting more line drives each month along the way. He is a real skinny kid right now. If he can add a little more weight and slightly more pop, he is a starting shortstop in the Majors if things keep just moving along. Maybe I am wrong in that thought process, but thats what I see when I watch him play and look at the numbers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Any word on how much Valor got? I know they said "high six figures," but is there anything more specific?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Any word on how much Valor got? I know they said "high six figures," but is there anything more specific?
    Humberto Valor got 1.5 million, and the Reds have spent 3.8 million so far in 2009. The Reds have spent the sixth most money on International signings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=gammons_peter

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    Humberto Valor got 1.5 million, and the Reds have spent 3.8 million so far in 2009. The Reds have spent the sixth most money on International signings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=gammons_peter
    Wow, so much for the Reds going cheap this year. They spent roughly $6 million last year (by far the most in the majors). They probably won't reach that figure this season but ya never know, the signing period is still open for months.

According to Mark Sheldon, the Reds signed Valor for just $690,000.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archi...hitter_ne.html
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Fay hints that the reason the Reds are so adamant about Valor getting $690,000 is because some of their unsigned draft picks are a little upset about it. Hmmm
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Fay hints that the reason the Reds are so adamant about Valor getting $690,000 is because some of their unsigned draft picks are a little upset about it. Hmmm
    Well if you signed a guy for $700,000 or so and its being reported you signed him for more than twice that and then potential employees are upset by it wouldn't you come out and say that the initial report was wrong? I know I would. Agents are trying to play off of false information, better for the Reds to put the truth out there.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I would assume this is referring to Boxberger. So far as I can tell, he's the only one that would fall within the $700-$1.5MM range. Leake should get more than that, and Barnhardt and the two Miami SS (who most likely aren't going to sign anyway) wouldn't get close to that amount.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I would assume this is referring to Boxberger. So far as I can tell, he's the only one that would fall within the $700-$1.5MM range. Leake should get more than that, and Barnhardt and the two Miami SS (who most likely aren't going to sign anyway) wouldn't get close to that amount.
    I would think the SS's would be the ones having a problem with it. This kid who isn't as advanced as us or anymore as talented (may or may not be true but they could make the claim) and he gets 1.5 million and you are offering us 100K (or whatever it is). Perhaps they feel like despite the fact they can't ask for as much they definitely should garner whatever is they are asking for since he has "gotten so much".

I say that because Leake, Boxberger and Barnhart have already allegedly agreed in principle or are close. The other 2 we haven't heard a peep about yet, other than their facebook pages which seem to indicate that they were not all that enthusiastic about the offers. Valor might have cost us those 2 and that bites.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Prediction:

Leake: $2M
    Boxberger: $900K
    Barnhart: $400K

Turn Off Ads?