Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Guess Hanigan Just Isn't Gonna Play?

Worth The Wait

I Guess Hanigan Just Isn't Gonna Play?

3rd on the team in BA, 5th on the team in OBP, and he's been MUCH more productive in an category vs. AB ratio than Hernandez. Hanigan should be the everyday catcher, with Ramon getting 1-2 starts a week. On top of that, Hanigan should be batting 2nd..or maybe leading off when we face lefties. Now that EE has returned, I think Dusty finally has options-- he's just choosing to defer to the vets at this point-- which drives me nuts.

(Also, I like he slid Willy down a slot---maybe by the end of next year he'll finally make it down to the 8 hole where he belongs!)

Dickerson CF
    Hanigan C
    Votto 1B
    Phillips 2B
    Edwin 3B
    Bruce RF
    Gomes LF
    Hairston SS

Is it really that hard?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: I Guess Hanigan Just Isn't Gonna Play?

In Dusty's world, if you're paid more, you should play more. To do otherwise shows "disrespect."
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    In Dusty's world, if you're paid more, you should play more. To do otherwise shows "disrespect."
    Yep. That's why Taveras continues to play everyday. They have to justify that contract.

Hernandez has been better of late in all fairness. But the one thing I would say is Hanigan should be seeing more playing time than he has as of late regardless.

21 BB, 12 K. Hannigan is an MLB caliber starting catcher and I have to believe he'll be our starting catcher next year. For now, it's a good problem to have. I would like to see him catch Bailey and one of the other young catchers with whom he already has a good relationship. He should be playing 2-3 days a week.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    It's also a sign of not being to admit that you were wrong.

If Dusty (and the FO) benches WT, then Dusty and WJ have to admit thay were wrong about him. IF they keep playing him, then he is just "slumping" a bit, and he will be back to "normal" soon. (Yes, I know WT's normal is not good.) Plus, it's different than the Patterson case in that Taveras is signed through next year.

One thing I do like about how Dusty handles players is that he very seldom bashes or blames them publicly. He always is supportive, and I can understand how guys like to play for him. We don't like it, but I am sure the players do.

OTOH, Hernandez and Hanigan have caught almost exactly the same amount of innings (just a bit over 350 each). Hanigan is having a very good year, but Hernandez has also been a good addition for this team. I do like how Dusty has been handling the catching; neither will be worn out by the time September arrives.
    sorry we're boring

I agree...let's not wear out someone who has never caught a full season in the majors and before he has had a full year to see if he can sustain what he has done so far.

It's not like Hernandez is Alex Trevino.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I agree...let's not wear out someone who has never caught a full season in the majors and before he has had a full year to see if he can sustain what he has done so far.

It's not like Hernandez is Alex Trevino.
    I agree. What happens if you make that move, risk your chemistry and Hanigan begins to struggle after catching 5 times a week for a while? Oh it may not happen but it could and then you have hurt the whole team. Let Hanigan get a bit more playing time whenever you can but don't ruin a good thing they are both holding their own and in it mentally.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Hernandez played today, but I'd bet Hanigan goes tomorrow with Arroyo on the mound
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Haunted by walks

I like Dusty's stability more the random lineup generators of the previous managers, and I think the front office always be slower to act than we would.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I like Dusty's stability more the random lineup generators of the previous managers, and I think the front office always be slower to act than we would.
    Be careful. This could be taken as a pro-Dusty post or, worse, a pro-Taveras post. That would be a problem around here.

I like the Dickerson-Taveras one-two punch at the top of the order. Taveras is more effective with Dickerson on base because he doesn't hit into DPs and his speed causes problems for defenders. It's worked well the last few games and Nix is good off the bench, I prefer him in that role.

Hanigan has played plenty and will likely play one of every three games from now on. It's ok, Hernandez is good too, it's not a problem that he is catching most of the time IMO.

In 1985 the Reds were in need of offense at the top...they put Milner and Redus back to back....then went to scoring runs for about a 10-20 game period. If it works like that....then ride it out as long as possible.

For a team that struggles to score runs, it's a bit crazy that Hannigan isn't starting the majority of the games.

Ramon RC/27-4.25, RC/PA-31.6/289

Han RC/27-7.21, RC/PA-24.8/158

If you swap Ramon's and Hannigan's PA's and Willy & CD's PA's, and keep their RC rate, the Reds pick up 10 runs, about one extra win.

Every win counts.
    Last edited by Raisor; 07-04-2009 at 08:42 PM.

There will be plenty of opportunities for both catchers as the weather heats up. As a guideline, I would have Hernandez be the primary catcher, but have Hanigan be the usual catcher for Bailey and Arroyo. I would also make sure that in the event of a day game after a night game, each catcher gets one start.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    There will be plenty of opportunities for both catchers as the weather heats up. As a guideline, I would have Hernandez be the primary catcher, but have Hanigan be the usual catcher for Bailey and Arroyo. I would also make sure that in the event of a day game after a night game, each catcher gets one start.
    Hernandez certainly didn't do to bad with Homer the other night, maybe it's to his advantage to not be too comfortable with his catcher. Maybe Hernandez is more assertive with him, or maybe not but it's a thought.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?