Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BA's midseason All-Star and All-Surprise teams

Re: BA's midseason All-Star and All-Surprise teams

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Then the scouts you refer to are wrong, doug. I remember the Votto talk. He was considered barely adequate at 1B. He had a slow bat, they said, and was very poor defensively. Pedroia was old for his level, too short, lacking in too many tools also.

If this is what the scouts you talk to say, you need to find better scouts.
    I think you listened to too many bad reports. BA and BP never once had anything about a 'slow bat'. The only place I remember hearing anything about a slow bat and Joey Votto was on Lance McAllister's show where a 'scout' told him.

As for Pedroia.... he was viewed as an average second baseman and he wasn't old for his level. He debuted in the majors at age 22. I am pretty curious where the power went. 50+ doubles and 17 HR in 2008 in 726 PA. 2007 and 2009 combined he has over 900 PA, 11 HR and 63 doubles. Maybe they were right and he just had a crazy unusual year last season?

2. Turn Off Ads?

A BA article said he had a slow bat during his Futures Game appearance. They also said he'd be less than average around the bag and an average first baseman at best.

BA continually gets these guys wrong. It's their Achilles' heel.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    A BA article said he had a slow bat during his Futures Game appearance. They also said he'd be less than average around the bag and an average first baseman at best.

BA continually gets these guys wrong. It's their Achilles' heel.
    Baseball America doesn't scout. They aren't scouts. They are journalist who get information from scouts. And when you take a scouting report from 1 game, it certainly can be misinformed with something like bat speed, that can indeed be slower some days than others.

And really, Votto at first base had some pretty glaring weaknesses when he was first coming up. To his credit he certainly fixed them.

Give me a guy who can make adjustments over anyone else.

After watching his performance this year, Heisey got named by BA to the Futures Game.
    Assuming he keeps this up, I'd be surprised if he's not named by BA to their Top 100 list.
    Go BLUE!!!

Baseball America released their midseason top 25 prospect list today and had Yonder Alonso as the 15th best prospect in baseball. Zach Stewart received votes to be in the top 25.

Edit - They made a mistake. Stewart narrowly missed out on the next 25.

From J.J. Cooper: Nice catch. The subscriber story was posted to the RSS feed a little too early as the last minute touches were being put onto the next 25. Stewart was on an earlier version of the next 25, but was just edged out in the final version that’s also going into the magazine.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...5456#more-5456
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 07-09-2009 at 02:13 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Baseball America released their midseason top 25 prospect list today and had Yonder Alonso as the 15th best prospect in baseball. Zach Stewart received votes to be in the top 25.

Edit - They made a mistake. Stewart narrowly missed out on the next 25.

From J.J. Cooper: Nice catch. The subscriber story was posted to the RSS feed a little too early as the last minute touches were being put onto the next 25. Stewart was on an earlier version of the next 25, but was just edged out in the final version thatís also going into the magazine.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...5456#more-5456
    Alonso's "60 PA's" don't seem to effect what they think of him.

Turn Off Ads?